Masonry Heater Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found out from the Masonry Heater's Association that they will be building a medium/large sized contraflow masonry heater at the World of Concrete training/seminar in Las Vegas, Nevada, January 20-24. Specifically, it sounds like January 21 & 22 (Tu & Wd) is when the actual building will occur. They are going to build a pizza oven, too.
View attachment 116256

I think it is free (it was last year you just had to get a pass from the masonry heater's association). And you are allowed to help in the builds or to just take pictures and watch. They are building the Finnish contraflow measuring 34" x 52" x with a 22" firebox. It is said to heat a house up to 1800 sq feet. Kind of like this one in size,
View attachment 116254

I wish I lived close. I would love to go.

I wish I lived close. I would love to go.

The airlines are always offering cheap fares to get people to Vegas so they can lose all of their money gambling. They also have $25 a night motels/hotels for the same reason. I don't have to worry about gambling because it isn't a big pull for me. But I'll be there this year - I missed it last year.

The airlines are always offering cheap fares to get people to Vegas so they can lose all of their money gambling. They also have $25 a night motels/hotels for the same reason. I don't have to worry about gambling because it isn't a big pull for me. But I'll be there this year - I missed it last year.

Huh. Really? I will think about it then. I would love to see a Russian stove up close. I missed out on seeing the Dragon Heaters build at Seven Springs this year.

Iv been trying to find efficiency comparisons of a MH and a RMH. Have Not had much luck. Some of the claims by the RMH peopl are way out there. like 90% less wood needed and such. I seems the principal is the same though short, hot, clean burning fires and masonry radiating heat hours after the fire is out.

Some of the claims by the RMH peopl are way out there. like 90% less wood needed and such.

PW is full of sh** so you have to take anything he says out of the equation.

You might try doing some research over at donkey32.proboards.com. Those guys know what they are talking about. I will warn you up front, I've received a lot of mixed reactions to the experience over there. Don't blame me. :)

This is a video of modern version of masonry heather. It's a DIY project for most . Older version has been in use for a hundredths of years in Poland and many European country's. Most of them with glazed like almost a ceramic finish, mostly white. I do remember heating my parents home with them . Coal was used as a fuel. Once a day small bucket of coal. It was my job as a teenager , caring a coal and starting a fire. Worst part was taking the ashes out, you had to be careful not to get dust all over the place. Recently they coming back mostly in prefab form due to difficulty of finding skilled people that are able to build them.

Video has polish commentary .

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Okeedoke. Nuff said.

PW is full of sh** so you have to take anything he says out of the equation.
While watching on of the videos of Mr eyebrows and his wife Mrs well endowed loading their RMH they dont use twigs from their yard as so many claim to but hardwood chunks of dry wood,about 2 cuft of hardwood. I was thinkin well thats about what i put in my wood stove on most days in winter anyway so what is this 90% less wood deal.

This is a video of modern version of masonry heather. It's a DIY project for most . Older version has been in use for a hundredths of years in Poland and many European country's. Most of them with glazed like almost a ceramic finish, mostly white. I do remember heating my parents home with them . Coal was used as a fuel. Once a day small bucket of coal. It was my job as a teenager , caring a coal and starting a fire. Worst part was taking the ashes out, you had to be careful not to get dust all over the place. Recently they coming back mostly in prefab form due to difficulty of finding skilled people that are able to build them.

Video has polish commentary .

I've spent a bit of time in Poland. These heaters are certainly popular!
Gotta wonder about all that refractory weight on those 4 little feet. I'm betting this is on a first floor... concrete underneath that nice wood.
You grew up in Poland?
Thanks for sharing.

While watching on of the videos of Mr eyebrows and his wife Mrs well endowed loading their RMH they dont use twigs from their yard as so many claim to but hardwood chunks of dry wood,about 2 cuft of hardwood. I was thinkin well thats about what i put in my wood stove on most days in winter anyway so what is this 90% less wood deal.

Imao. You will have to ask someone with an RMH that isn't in their loop. I know I use less wood cooking with a rocket stove. I can't imagine from my limited experience that an RMH is going to use 90% less wood in a climate where winter temps dropping below 20 are the norm. I do know the rocket stove is very efficient but I am also aware that individuals want to make money.

Mr. Walker could give you some great insight to living with an RMH.

I can, and I'm happy to answer questions if you have them. Ted asked me some via PM, and if anyone else has questions feel free to start a thread with them and I'll try to help. I'm sure others will as well. As for wood use, yeah, those claims are ridiculous in my opinion. I am busting my butt like everyone else here trying to get three years ahead. I have about 6 cords c/s/s right now and plan on using about 4 of those, and it's pretty regular cord wood. Maybe split a little smaller on average. I used anywhere from 7 to 10 cords with my old smoke dragon, so it's quite a bit better than that. I've never had a good modern stove, I imagine I do a bit better than I would with one of those, although I really don't know for sure and wouldn't be totally surprised if they came out about even. I think there are other advantages that make my heater a better choice for me, but....yeah. Definitely don't believe everything you read about this stuff.

I can, and I'm happy to answer questions if you have them. .
Can you recommend a website that give honest information about these stoves? I guess the reason they are not more popular is most people dont want an upside down 55 gal drum exposed in their living room.It seems if this stove is so special their would be a kit or something to put one together. And i curious as to how this concept is different from a regular MH.

The forum 'Brew recommends in post #82 of this thread is probably the best source for solid information, although there is a lot to get through to get to the heart of it. Full disclosure, I moderate a sub forum there. The book "rocket mass heaters..super efficient wood stoves..." by Ianto Evans is dated, but it gives a great overview of the whole thing and will give you the basics of the heaters, as well as show you how to build them in the most basic way.

My Design Challenge entry is an attempt to repackage this technology in a way that is more recognizable and acceptable to our American culture of wood heat, namely, it's in a metal box. That addresses the barrel, but frankly, the barrel is perfect, free, and a great way to recycle and reuse. Box stoves aren't much different to my eye. (An aside: I think there are some beautiful box stoves, I just wasn't fortunate enough to own one. My box stove was uglier than a barrel to me.)

Some of the differences are subtle and subjective, specifically cost and ease of install. I would say that as a rule the front end of a RMH burns more cleanly than almost any other passive wood burning device, although of course there will be exceptions. The largest difference is in use and feel. With a quick to respond metal radiator the RMH gives instant, intense radiant heat that wood stove users will be familiar with. In use, a RMH is lit when one is in the space spending time there and burned for 2-4 hours on average at about 6lbs of fir an hour to use my install as an example. The intense radiant heat will heat the space quickly and feel like a wood stove, then when one leaves the stove is out and the mass takes over and holds the temps stable in the space. In this way it is a unique heater, hot and cheery while you are there, slow radiant heat maintaining the temperature inside the space when you are not. Masonry heaters tend to offer longer, mellower heating cycles with just the radiant heat off the mass, although doors with windows can add a bit of that fireplace cheer while they burn. RM heaters typically are configured where the mass is a bench, and in this way conductive heat to the humans is an important feature. My guests usually comment about how they feel like they've been in the hot tub after sitting on the bench for a while. Some masonry heaters have this feature, but the clay/sand/straw bench is surprisingly "soft" feeling in both hardness and heat, so I think it beats stone or brick hands down.

One difference that tips the scales towards the traditional masonry heater is output. An RMH is a heater for a small space and is limited in output by nature of it's design, masonry heaters can be very large with large fireboxes and are capable of heating large spaces. A typical American home will be much more space than a RMH can feasibly heat, although they make great alternatives for small homes, or smaller space heating needs within a home.

Those are my opinions on those questions, for sure there are other views. If you guys have more questions please start a new thread, I've tried to limit my responses here but I didn't want to not respond. Sorry Q, I'm trying hard not to hijack your thread!

Reactions: Tedinski
I'll start a new thread right now.
We can discuss there...

Thanks for your info so far!

Reactions: NW Walker
Status
Not open for further replies.