Master Forge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davo

Apr 24, 2015
CT
Good morning! I have searched topics and I can not see any information about this particular wood stove. Does anyone have any info on it? It looks like it's new but claims it's a "best seller"

Seems like it puts out heat at an affordable price! I was looking at the Summer Heat (Madison) last year but I decided to keep looking around due to the door warping problems. Thanks for all info!

My guess is its not a forever stove with limited life and marginal turndown but for someone with a good dry pile of firewood (2 years cut split and stacked or kiln dried) it will get them a couple of years. If the wood is not dry, it like most other EPA stoves will be difficult if not impossible to burn. When working up the budget make sure to include the cost for the stack as it may be far more than the stove.

Reactions: ozarkoak
My guess is its not a forever stove with limited life and marginal turndown but for someone with a good dry pile of firewood (2 years cut split and stacked or kiln dried) it will get them a couple of years. If the wood is not dry, it like most other EPA stoves will be difficult if not impossible to burn. When working up the budget make sure to include the cost for the stack as it may be far more than the stove.
Thanks for that response! I appreciate it! It also says it qualifies for the 26% tax credit yet I can not find it on the EPA website list of approved stoves. Appreciate it!

Thanks for that response! I appreciate it! It also says it qualifies for the 26% tax credit yet I can not find it on the EPA website list of approved stoves. Appreciate it!
As far as I can tell it's a new stove by a Taiwan grille maker. It is not listed on the EPA site for the tax credit, nor is the company. Actually, there is no record of it in the EPA database. I tried to get a manual and no luck so far. There is no company website and Lowes does not have the manual listed. They need to be careful here. This could be lawsuit territory if the claim is false. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
Reactions: marty319
I'd stay away from that.

I could not find out who one would turn to for warranty issues if there was a defect, nor where parts would come from.

That's crazy. I was wondering if my searches just weren't right because I couldn't find anything on the stove either. Thanks for the advice!

Hey all. I know this is an older thread, but I just bought the Lowe's Master Forge 2500 ( W110- MF) today. It looks like a decent unit and should perform better than my Englander Madison looking at it's specs. I should have her all hooked up and running in the next few days of all goes well.

From my research it's an Enerco / Cleveland Iron Works Medium # 110 ( H110 )

I have the certifying information for the tax credit if anyone needs it.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I see Enerco has been added. However, the H110's HHV is listed at 70% on the EPA database which does not qualify it for the tax credit. It looks like only their pellet stoves qualify. This is verified by the specs on the Cleveland Ironwroks website for the stove.

Can you send me a copy of the actual certificate for the IRS? No need, their website says the tax credit is for their pellet stoves only. I have requested a copy of the manual from them. Looks like Lowes, HD , et al need to beware of making false claims for the tax credit here.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's really helpful. I see Enerco has been added. However, the H110's HHV is listed at 70% on the EPA database which does not qualify it for the tax credit. It looks like only their pellet stoves qualify. This is verified by the specs on the Cleveland Ironwroks website for the stove.

Can you send me a copy of the actual certificate for the IRS? No need, their website says the tax credit is for their pellet stoves only. I have requested a copy of the manual from them. Looks like Lowes, HD , et al need to beware of making false claims for the tax credit here.
Actually the website does have the tax credit information for the stove as well. It's the medium wood stove number ws110. I'm not sure why the h110 doesn't show, but enerco specifically States the ws110 qualifies.

Mr heater appears to be Enerco main brand / another one of their brands. Here is their website with information on the tax credit. https://www.mrheater.com/epa

Select the ws110 and it'll pull up the entire testing certification for it. I'm pretty sure qualifies. I'm not sure if the certification goes based off of lhv or hhv but the 110 states 70% hhv and 76% lhv ?

Also 77% optimal LHV efficiency

I hope this helps

Screenshot_20221006_111430.jpg Screenshot_20221006_111739.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CenterTree
Side note. I just bought this model, and haven't burned in it yet. I think I should be good for an 8-10 hour burn based on the firebox size, but does anyone here actually have this stove and can speak on their actual burn times? Hoping I made the right choice here lol.

I was squeezing 8-9 from my Englander Madison and this one is slightly larger. Hoping I'm right on this. Aside from that, the stove seems decently built, and is heavier built than the Englander. Forebrichs are also thicker too, so she should hold heat better. I also like how the whole door lifts off the hinges using a straight pin. There's no AAS so I'll have to learn when to shut the air off, but I don't mind the learning curve.

Locally Lowes just raised the price by $150 up to $799. I contacted them about the website error, but last time I checked it was still saying it qualified for the 25C credit. Digging down I found that is the pellet stoves that qualify, and only the pellet stoves. There are going to be some angry people come tax time.

@WayneN keep us posted on how the stove works out for you. I am interested in the comparison with the Englander Madison and the differences in loading, operation, maintenance, etc.

I think they will only be disappointed if they get audited. You declare you bought a qualifying stove, get the credit.

I don't think receipts are sent with the tax return...? (At least that wasn't the case for my earlier energy efficiency tax credit claim.)

Edit: that my be worse though, because a penalty may then be imposed?

I believe the IRS requires a copy of the qualifying certificate from the mfg. which in this case, there is none.

EDIT: No, I am wrong, they do not request it.

Manufacturer’s certification.
For purposes of taking the credit, you can rely on the manufacturer’s certification in writing that a product is qualifying property for the credit. Don't attach the certification to your return. Keep it for your records.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes; before your edit, I was going thru form 5695, and I don't see an indication that something like that is needed.

This creates an interesting legal case, if your quote is authoritative: rely on mfg document. (Rather than the EPA list.) If an mfg lies, who is responsible...

Regardless, Lowe's is not an mfg (and they are in the wrong here).

I
Hey all. I know this is an older thread, but I just bought the Lowe's Master Forge 2500 ( W110- MF) today. It looks like a decent unit and should perform better than my Englander Madison looking at it's specs. I should have her all hooked up and running in the next few days of all goes well.

I just bought a master forge myself. And I’m having trouble ventilating it. It seems the only way to keep the fire going is to crack the door open a little bit. Any ideas?
Thanks, Joe

I

I just bought a master forge myself. And I’m having trouble ventilating it. It seems the only way to keep the fire going is to crack the door open a little bit. Any ideas?
Thanks, Joe
How tall is your chimney? What moisture content is your wood at? What is the connector pipe configuration? What pipe temps are you seeing?

Thanks for the quick reply. The chimney is
2 1/2 feet tall to an elbow then 2feet to another elbow with chimney cap. . I’ve read that this is probably the very minimum I could do with a 6 inch pipe but as you’ll see below, I think it’s working. I am going to add a little bit more pipe going through the wall.
The pipes are barely at 200°.

But I think I have it figured out. I’m now closing the door tightly and have a good fire! I think I was too scared ary of the fire going out when I shut the door. A bigger fire burned down to a small fire seemed to do the trick.

The wood is damp on the outside from a recent rain. Otherwise kept under a tarp.

Thanks for the quick reply. The chimney is
2 1/2 feet tall to an elbow then 2feet to another elbow with chimney cap. . I’ve read that this is probably the very minimum I could do with a 6 inch pipe but as you’ll see below, I think it’s working. I am going to add a little bit more pipe going through the wall.
The pipes are barely at 200°.

But I think I have it figured out. I’m now closing the door tightly and have a good fire! I think I was too scared ary of the fire going out when I shut the door. A bigger fire burned down to a small fire seemed to do the trick.

The wood is damp on the outside from a recent rain. Otherwise kept under a tarp.
How tall is the total height of the chimney from the top of the stove to the top of the chimney?

And kept under a tarp tells us nothing about how dry the wood is

Just to clarify, the dryness of wood is mostly pertaining to the water that is inside the wood. Surface water is easy to dry out. Inside water has to slowly diffuse to the surface and evaporate. Therefore, wood needs to dry at least one, often two, and sometimes three years to be dry enough to properly burn.

Locally Lowes just raised the price $150 up to $799. I contacted them about the website error, but last time I checked it was still saying it qualified for the 25C credit. Digging down I found that is the pellet stoves that qualify, and only the pellet stoves. There are going to be some angry people come tax time.

@WayneN keep us posted on how the stove works out for you. I am interested in the comparison with the Englander Madison and the differences in loading, operation, maintenance, etc.
I did lot of reading and researching about the credit and I'm yet to find the answer to my question.Is the credit refundable just like the child credit. Basically a guaranteed done deal or is it dependent on how much taxes you owe and so on? Can anybody here a test that he was easy peasy guaranteed money?
Also as somebody mentioned here about filing for credit and then hoping for not getting audited.
I think the new norm is going to be getting audited every year. Those 76,000 new IRS agents have to do something everyday to get their pay.

Tax credits come off the bottom line of the tax form.They are far more valuble than tax credits. So take all the federal taxes withheld out of the paycheck for the year and whatever the tax forms say you own in additional taxes at the end of the year, and subtract the credit. If you over withheld on your paycheck you get a refund. The 2023 IRA tax provisions that apply to new wood fired appliances, are not yet written but the intent is that the excess credits will be able to be carried forward to future years. So, if someone is retired and owe little or no income taxes, and their credits exceed thier taxes owed, the can carry it forward to next year. The vast majority of folks have some IRA income and dividend income which is taxed so its probably a non issue.

Be aware that many of the IRA provisions have to be managed by the states and many states need to put in place people and infrastructure to run these programs, there are going to be a lot of potential tax credits and rebates for energy efficiency that homeowners will qualify for.

Tax credits come off the bottom line of the tax form.They are far more valuble than tax credits. So take all the federal taxes withheld out of the paycheck for the year and whatever the tax forms say you own in additional taxes at the end of the year, and subtract the credit. If you over withheld on your paycheck you get a refund. The 2023 IRA tax provisions that apply to new wood fired appliances, are not yet written but the intent is that the excess credits will be able to be carried forward to future years. So, if someone is retired and owe little or no income taxes, and their credits exceed thier taxes owed, the can carry it forward to next year. The vast majority of folks have some IRA income and dividend income which is taxed so its probably a non issue.

Be aware that many of the IRA provisions have to be managed by the states and many states need to put in place people and infrastructure to run these programs, there are going to be a lot of potential tax credits and rebates for energy efficiency that homeowners will qualify for.
Thanks for the explanation. That was as clear as i have seen it anywhere.
So assuming you are correct that means you'll never see that money in your tax return if the tax owed is smaller than the credit. It'll just get carried over to next years until the credit has been depleted to zero.
Am i understanding it right?

It is a credit and not a refundable credit.

If you paid (withheld) taxes during the year, and you owe taxes when you file, you can subtract the credit from what you owe.
If you paid (withheld) taxes during the year, and you get a refund when you file, AND what is left from your withheld taxes is larger than your wood stove credit, you will get the full wood stove credit in your refund.
If you paid (withheld) taxes during the year, and don't owe at filing time, and those withheld taxes are lower than your wood stove credit, you will only get your taxes back. The remaining wood stove credit can be applied to next year's taxes.

A refundable credit would mean: your total yearly tax bill is less than the wood stove credit, and YET you get all the wood stove credit (i.e. you pay negative taxes). That's not the case here.

Reactions: HearhFlame