Max stove top temp on a Buck 91 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Recently purchased a Auber wireless thermometer for the upstairs Buck and downstairs Regency. This allows me to monitor the temps while laying in bed reading/surfing. or preparing for a nights sleep. The monitors have an option to set a alarm when the temps read a certain temp.

What does everybody use for a ideal temp on a insert (top of stove) ? Currently the temp is at 311 and the cat probe is reading 1600. Where would you set the alarm notification?

Appreciate any reply. Looks like after 4 years, I might be getting a handle on this beast.

Thanks again

Looks like after 4 years, I might be getting a handle on this beast.
That's good to hear. :) It takes some trial and error to come up with a plan for how to get the stove to do what you want. Are you still getting some fires that are a little too hot in the Buck, which has prompted you to get the temp monitor?
When did you add the Regency, which model?
I'm not familiar with the Auber units. What does the sensor look like, and how does it attach to the stove?
As far as the stove top monitor, I think that to get an accurate reading on the Buck, you'll have to put the sensor directly on top of the firebox; Sounds like right now, you have it on top of the convection top if it's only reading 300 or so.

Last edited:
Yes, the top of the Buck 91 is not the stove top, it's the top of the convection deck lid. To get a true stove top reading you would have to get the probe on the stove top surface under the lid.

1600º is approaching the max you want to see on the cat. Going higher will shorten its life.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I would monitor your exhaust temps with the auber, I found that to be the best gauge especially for setting the alarm for when you leave the damper open for too long, it's the best place to get a quick reading when something goes south.
I think his cat probe was sometimes going high, like mine was. In my case, even with the air all the way closed, I couldn't slow down the stove easily. It was like the non-cat guys describe it; Starting a new load, you need to cut the air early to keep too much wood from burning/gassing. I also didn't spread the coals out very much under a new load, I heaped them in the middle N/S to control how much wood would catch. But you need to get that big hunk of steel hot before the cat will light, there's the rub. I eventually figured out how to get the air control to close more fully, then I got more control of the burn. I think the easiest way (which I never got a chance to try) was a suggestion by another Buck 91 guy; Take out the air control rod, which has two plates on it that slide over the air intake openings. Then bend that rod up slightly in the center to pull the shutoff plates tighter against the air inlet openings.
A couple times when the stove was cranking pretty good I opened the door and shot the inside of the box with an infrared thermometer, and saw about 700. That was safe I think...1/4" plate-steel in the top and walls of that box.
If he's in the same boat, I think making a couple adjustments to the air controls would give him better control of the burn early on, then he wouldn't have to try to bring the temp back down after it had taken off. I never had much luck bringing it back down once it went high.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Been nursing some broken rigs. Anyway, Woody to answer your questions I originally had the Auber attached to the top, with the magnet that came with the unit. I now know that I might be getting smarter at running this thing, I need to understand how the darn thing is made. I agree about the top being the shield but did not realize that at that time. Thanks for the info. Now, next question is where should I place the magnet or could I attach it like Mellow said above. My problem is that I do not have a lot to screw it to. I will post pictures of what I am trying to say.

In regards to the Regency I bought I last fall and installed in down stairs in the man cave. Only usually use it on Sundays watching football. It is a model F2400M. Will certainly put out some heat for a small unit.

Regarding control the temp rise in the past, I was under the impression that I needed to have some flame going at all time. Now I know I can run it completely closed. It does make the door filthy but comes right off with the next large fire.

Once again, would appreciate info on where to mount the thermometer.

O Yeah, the block off plate is a work in progress.....

Thanks so much for the help.

IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0763.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I thought that was a crappy job using that connector and yes it goes to the stainless liner. So I should drill a hole in the appliance piece and pop rivet it, or could I screw it in? I was worried that it might be to close to the top of the stove.

Just get a small self tapping metal screw if you using the probe I posted about, should go right into that galvanized if that is all you have access to. I had mine up a slight bit higher. After a couple fires you will figure out your temp range and what to set your alarm at.

Yeah, I thought that was a crappy job using that connector and yes it goes to the stainless liner. So I should drill a hole in the appliance piece and pop rivet it, or could I screw it in? I was worried that it might be to close to the top of the stove.
It has that visible screw clamp mounted to the top end, so it can be tightened there. I don't know if a screw or rivet is required in addition to that. Couldn't hurt though..
It's possible you could use an IR thermometer gun to shoot through the blower outlet holes above the door, below the convective top where you have the auber probe now, and get a truer reading. I must have done that at some point but I don't remember how well it worked..you have to shoot at an angle to the top so I don't know how accurate it is. If you open the door to shoot the stove top from inside, the cat must be bypassed for a few minutes first, otherwise you may crack it from thermal shock.

I used a 15* stainless elbow made by the maker of the liner but I don't remember how I fastened it to the heavy-duty liner. Almost looks like a rivet there but I can't tell. I didn't use an appliance connector, got the cast collar from Buck instead.
093.jpg

Reactions: crater22