McCullough PM610 getting tired ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my PM610 is a great saw, but because the screws that hold the pull starter sheered off I had to take it all apart and use a torch with an easy out to fix it. Got that part of it done, but then know it won't run.

It's like it will start but then dies. I kept trying to start it last night for a wood cutting trip this weekend, and the pull start rope finally gave out. So I through it in the garage and said "you are know my back up saw!!!!".

Went to Parkrose hardware today and looking at a Stihl 390 with 25" bar. $500 bones, but thought I would plug this group and find out what others are using to cut wood.

Should I bite the bullet and buy it? Should I go back to the McCullough and try to fix it. Not sure what I should do at this point.

Sorry moderator for posting in the wrong forum ...... I am new to this forum (not wood cutting or burning) and will pay more attention as I learn about this forum.

mackconsult said:
So my PM610 is a great saw, but because the screws that hold the pull starter sheered off I had to take it all apart and use a torch with an easy out to fix it. Got that part of it done, but then know it won't run.

It's like it will start but then dies. I kept trying to start it last night for a wood cutting trip this weekend, and the pull start rope finally gave out. So I through it in the garage and said "you are know my back up saw!!!!".

Went to Parkrose hardware today and looking at a Stihl 310 with 25" bar. $500 bones, but thought I would plug this group and find out what others are using to cut wood.

Should I bite the bullet and buy it? Should I go back to the McCullough and try to fix it. Not sure what I should do at this point.
310 a nice saw 25 in bar is alittle much for it, if you have to have a 25 in bar I would look at the 441,460,390,361

If that is the size saw you need, have them put on a shorter bar and drop th price or give a few extra loops of chain.

I've seen the MS310 go for $390+tax with an 18" bar. Did it come with any extras for it to be aroun $500? Case, chains, bar, ect...

As for running a 25" bar, I agree with smokinj, you will definately need a bigger saw IMHO. The 310 will turn it, but it will definately put a strain on it.

I bought a 390 w/ 25" bar. Can hardly wait to see it cut this weekend.

mackconsult said:
I bought a 390 w/ 25" bar. Can hardly wait to see it cut this weekend.
That will work!

Status
Not open for further replies.