Measuring burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

Dec 2, 2005
NH
I know there isn't a true standard to measure burn times, but what is the general consensus?
A) Time from when the stove was last loaded to last hot coal is gone?
2) Time from when the stove was last loaded until no flames are present?
III) Time from when the stove was last loaded until there are enough hot coals to re-light a certain size split of wood?
D) Other?

D) I think it's more related to usable heat output. Maybe a stove surface temp measured after a load? Combined with the ability to add more fuel and have it start unaided.

Woodstock told me they go by III, and I believe them.

Interestingly, I've been filling my 3.25 cubic foot stove about 3/4 of the way at night (around 10:00), letting the logs catch, damping it way down, then leaving it until I get home the next night (around 6:00). I've had enough coals to get a fire going again off of some kindling and 2" splits of hardwood. Tonight I got home at 7:00 and got a fire going, 21 hours after I had last loaded it....

I'm thinking about getting a new, clean burning, stove though so I guess that might change...

Burn times are ellusive. Manufacture claims are total pr. I measure burn times by watching my Thermo on the stove. Little heat is gained at 200 degrees with coals left to start another load. When its cold I want heat and 200 degrees stove top temps does not cut it
4 hours of 500 degrees does 6 hours at 400 not bad 8 hours a ending the last 3 under 300 sucks unless its 45 outside

I'm thinking that my long burn times are probably due, in part, to the warmer daytime temperatures we've been having in central NH. Warm days = less draft = very slow burn of the remaining coals

Warm days, cool nights, I wish I was tapping trees!

Status
Not open for further replies.