metalbestos adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lengemann

Dec 11, 2005
I recently bought a camp in the Michigan UP, and will be putting in a VC Aspen wood stove shortly. There is an existing masonry chimney with an 8” X 8” clay liner. From the chimney into the house is a 6” ID (8” OD) metalbestos pipe with two inches of clearance from combustibles. The metalbestos pipe has been mortared in place, and the male end of the pipe is coming out of the wall into the living room where I want to put the stove. I want to run generic single wall pipe from the stove to the metalbestos pipe.

The adapters that I have seen on Selkirk’s website are for attaching single wall pipe to a female end of metalbestos, and not a male end. So, how do I securely hook up a single wall pipe to the metalbestos, while providing a way for the creosote to drip freely back down the pipe and into the stove? I want to avoid remortaring the insulated pipe.

Thanks

Dave Lengemann

Thanks for the help, but I’ve seen that one already and the spec sheet shows it attaching to the female end of the metalbestos pipe. I emailed Selkirk with the same question.

Dave

Dave Lengemann said:
I recently bought a camp in the Michigan UP, and will be putting in a VC Aspen wood stove shortly. There is an existing masonry chimney with an 8” X 8” clay liner. From the chimney into the house is a 6” ID (8” OD) metalbestos pipe with two inches of clearance from combustibles. The metalbestos pipe has been mortared in place, and the male end of the pipe is coming out of the wall into the living room where I want to put the stove. I want to run generic single wall pipe from the stove to the metalbestos pipe.

The adapters that I have seen on Selkirk’s website are for attaching single wall pipe to a female end of metalbestos, and not a male end. So, how do I securely hook up a single wall pipe to the metalbestos, while providing a way for the creosote to drip freely back down the pipe and into the stove? I want to avoid remortaring the insulated pipe.

Thanks

Dave Lengemann

Well, the answer is probably to double crimp a pipe and seal the heck out of it with furnace cement.

BUT, you have another problem with your installation. When insulated chimney is used as a crock, the clearance is much greater than the usual 2". The 2" clearance is dependent on the constant circulation of air around the pipe. When it is embedded in masonry this is not in effect. Perhaps ELK can post the spec, but I remember it being 6" or 8" of solid masonry all around it.

Check it out....please!

Thanks... I am glad you pointed out this deficiency and the reasoning behind it. I think I'll just get a sweep to come in, clean the chimney and perform an inspection. Maybe even have the sweep file a permit, install the wood stove, and fill out the form to the insurance company.

Thanks.

Dave

Just wanted to add this note:

The customer representative from Selkirk emailed me saying that the pipe should be turned around so that their adapters could be used. They do not recommend jamming a stovepipe into the male end.

Status
Not open for further replies.