Michigan wood prices 2019/2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
2 year seasoned Sugar Maple and Red Oak is 350 a cord delivered here
And this guy starts the year at over 150 cord. Buy the end of February it is all gone

Dang. That’s high. Almost twice as what I pay for red and white oak, when I pay for it

Dang. That’s high. Almost twice as what I pay for red and white oak, when I pay for it
The guy said he would do a truck bed of the cherry for $85. Still not sure if I will do it, he also said he wold come down some on all of it. I want to say I would take it all for $100-$130.

Side note, how do you like your i2400? That is what I will be getting in the next couple weeks. I had a Century CW2900 before and wanted to step up a little.

The guy said he would do a truck bed of the cherry for $85. Still not sure if I will do it, he also said he wold come down some on all of it. I want to say I would take it all for $100-$130.

Side note, how do you like your i2400? That is what I will be getting in the next couple weeks. I had a Century CW2900 before and wanted to step up a little.
So far I love it. 1800 sq feet house. Heat hasn’t been on yet. 77 when I went to bed last night. Just had an Arctic blast this week also.

So far I love it. 1800 sq feet house. Heat hasn’t been on yet. 77 when I went to bed last night. Just had an Arctic blast this week also.
Sounds good. I don't plan on using it as my main heat source, I would but we have a two story and the bedrooms stay pretty cool. We have a 10 month old boy that she thinks is freezing when the his room is at 70 degrees.

I was lucky to find an i2400 left, everyone was sold out because they are switching to the new i2450. The salesman talked me into finding the non EPA 2020 certified due to bad performance.

Same here. I wanted to get mine before the switch as well. And I darn sure didn’t want the 2500 with the Cat

I will have to look into those. It is 11% off right now so I might as well pick some up.

What is the main heat source for the house? Forced air? And what fuel does it use, NG, LPG or fuel oil?

What is the main heat source for the house? Forced air? And what fuel does it use, NG, LPG or fuel oil?
Forced air and it is NG. To be honest I am not buying the insert with hopes of heating the house 100%. My parents always had a fireplace growing up and I really enjoy burning wood and if I can get some heat from it why not. My first house was a 1,200 sq ft ranch and I put in a Century CW2900, it would get the room it was in super hot but the bed rooms were always cold and I struggled to get heat back to them. Now the current house is a two story and again I know it will be tough to get the bedrooms up to the temp my wife likes for the baby.

Forced air and it is NG. To be honest I am not buying the insert with hopes of heating the house 100%. My parents always had a fireplace growing up and I really enjoy burning wood and if I can get some heat from it why not. My first house was a 1,200 sq ft ranch and I put in a Century CW2900, it would get the room it was in super hot but the bed rooms were always cold and I struggled to get heat back to them. Now the current house is a two story and again I know it will be tough to get the bedrooms up to the temp my wife likes for the baby.

We had natural gas installed a couple years ago, and it's nice because I don't need to make a dash for the thermostat if i hear the furnace come on. My last gas bill, from Oct 18 though the middle of November was $52, and that's heat, hot water and cooktop. I got way behind on my wood cutting. My wife was quite Ill for a spell, and then I fell and severely sprained my left wrist, which took 4 months to heal. I would not buy wood for this year, you're going to end up with wet overpriced crap, and will lose money on the deal. Instead, start looking for dead Ash, and dead or alive Cherry both of which will be perfect for next year if you get it cut, split , and stacked (CSS) now. What part of Michigan are you from? I'm in the SW near Howell.

We had natural gas installed a couple years ago, and it's nice because I don't need to make a dash for the thermostat if i hear the furnace come on. My last gas bill, from Oct 18 though the middle of November was $52, and that's heat, hot water and cooktop. I got way behind on my wood cutting. My wife was quite Ill for a spell, and then I fell and severely sprained my left wrist, which took 4 months to heal. I would not buy wood for this year, you're going to end up with wet overpriced crap, and will lose money on the deal. Instead, start looking for dead Ash, and dead or alive Cherry both of which will be perfect for next year if you get it cut, split , and stacked (CSS) now. What part of Michigan are you from? I'm in the SW near Howell.
I am in St.Joseph right by the lakeshore. My last months bill was $65 and that was with the wife wanting to keep the thermostat at 72.

Reactions: Sodbuster
If for some reason I didnt have any seasoned wood, I have oil heat, I'd buy 4 pallets of bio bricks XL. Still cheaper than oil and my house would be much warmer, even better if you can find NEIL's.

The guy at work says he will do a truck load for $85 of the cherry, that was supposed cut and split a year ago in January. I will likely just do that and give it a whirl. I also bought so bio bricks, so that should get me decently far. Again, I am not using this as my main heat source. Mainly for some nice views and heat is also a plus.

The guy at work says he will do a truck load for $85 of the cherry, that was supposed cut and split a year ago in January. I will likely just do that and give it a whirl. I also bought so bio bricks, so that should get me decently far. Again, I am not using this as my main heat source. Mainly for some nice views and heat is also a plus.

For $85 you can't go too wrong. If he's telling the truth, and working with you, I hope he would be, it should burn fine. If not, it will be perfect by next year.

Reactions: Drew3308
The guy said he would take $150 for the half cord of cherry. I think I might just do that, it should be good to go if he cut and split it last Feb.

This is a 12 dump bed with three foot sides. Pretty much right at 2 cords.
D169EDCB-31B3-41DD-ABB3-1110F426453C.png

The guy said he would take $150 for the half cord of cherry. I think I might just do that, it should be good to go if he cut and split it last Feb.

What kind of cherry? Just asking because if it's the kind we have a ton of around here in NY that has birch-like bark, chances are it won't be all that ready to burn now. Moisture will just seep from under the bark. I wanna say it's called choke cherry. If it's just black cherry though I would think it'd be easier going.

What kind of cherry? Just asking because if it's the kind we have a ton of around here in NY that has birch-like bark, chances are it won't be all that ready to burn now. Moisture will just seep from under the bark. I wanna say it's called choke cherry. If it's just black cherry though I would think it'd be easier going.
I picked it up last week, split a couple pieces and did a moisture test. Got a reading of 16-18% every time so it is pretty dry. Already did a couple burns with it and it burns really well. Some of it is wet due to sitting out in rain/snow but it will start to get even more dry now that I have it in the garage.

Tustin/Cadillac area is around $150–$180 a cord ($50–$60 a face cord) for seasoned oak or maple.

We had a terrible wind storm here two years ago. Lots of maple, beech and oak trees down by us.

Last edited:
Ann Arbor is between $100.00-$150.00 a face cord.

However much I can fit in my Ram short bed which I think should be around 55-60 cubic feet.
Yeah, I think a full bed, thrown in and heaped up a bit, is about a half cord..

I picked it up last week, split a couple pieces and did a moisture test. Got a reading of 16-18% every time so it is pretty dry. Already did a couple burns with it and it burns really well. Some of it is wet due to sitting out in rain/snow but it will start to get even more dry now that I have it in the garage.
Win-win for everyone then. I love burning cherry. Wish I had some.

Theres pin cherry with the birch like bark that's soso, then theres black cherry with the scaly bark thats much better firewood.

Theres pin cherry with the birch like bark that's soso, then theres black cherry with the scaly bark thats much better firewood.
It is black cherry. He has plenty more but that has been sitting outside for a couple years and is starting to show signs of rot. I need to get my own supply built up starting this spring.