Milled Dimensional Lumber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Im looking for a 4x4x13 or something similiar. Im trying to build a bat box like one here http://www.batsnorthwest.org/rocketbox_plans.pdf. It calls for a big ol 4x4 but untreated. I dont want to use pine, would rather use oak or locust.

I dont Mill lumber, and dont know any one who does. The big box doesnt sell them, and if they did it would be really expensive.

Any suggestions on how I can find some one who does mill lumber, or since I need a rough piece of wood any way, should I give it a shot free hand?

I live in eastren NC if that helps any one. (or will be in west MD this weekend if any one up that way can help me out :))

Maybe this should have been in the wood shed.... If so Mod's please help a brother out.

Try posting this in the Gear section as that is where most of the mill operators swap info/advice, they maybe able to point you to someone closer to you.

How about using the PT at the bottom and going to a fence company or big box store and buying white cedar square-edge fence post for the top half. The picture shows it being half lapped and bolted to one another. It would not be that much coin.

Neat project, I wish I had room in my yard for that.

looks like the perfect application for rough sawn cedar, should be able to find at a lumber yard
fill the post hole with gravel so there is good drainage
should not have to splice it to pressure treated
concrete is not used much anymoreit promotes rotting around the base of the post

Status
Not open for further replies.