"Modern" style, under-stove wood storage, quality construction and a Cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been heating with wood for about 25 years, until last year in N. Idaho. Stoves were a Quadrafire insert, 4700i IIRD at the 1st place, then a Hearthstone Mansfield. Liked the Mansfield a lot, had it 25 years, and I don't think I replaced/repaired anything on it. Last year we moved to E. Tennessee, and the home is equipped with a "low end" (I think) Country Hearth brand stove. House was built in '16, already some cracks in the steel near at the corners of the firebox, hinges don't align properly, latch is fussy, have to lift up to get it to align.

So, a few observations from my first season here. First, humidity is much higher than what I had in N. ID, so wood is a lot moister when I bring it inside. Helps to bring in and let dry even overnight. Second, hardwood is nice! Been used to mostly douglas fir-which isn't terrible and is a dream to split! At the moment I have some pine to use for this winter-had several big ones go down in a windstorm, so I'll be turning them into BTUs. After that, hardwood. Other observation-obviously temps are much milder, so big heat output is less critical. But the place is not real well insulated-daylight basement is block, and non-insulated (I'm going to address that). Info on the house-about 2300 SF, open design, tall ceiling with upstairs loft, masonry chimney, about 22-24 foot.

Anyway, the milder winter has me thinking a cat stove would be a good idea to moderate heat output. Also want a stove that has an integrated stand to store some wood under it to dry. Also want something with a wide glass area, and some decent hardware so opening/closing the door isn't a fight. Style/size wise, something like a Supreme Novo 24 or Osborn Matrix, or possibly Quadrafire Discovery III (would like a bigger firebox)-but from what I understand alll are non-cats. The other option is to go with a Hearthstone or Woodstock soapstone, Lose that wood storage, but wouldn't be the end of the world. I really like the style of some of the European stoves (like the Bari now sold by Hearthstone) but don't want to use very short lengths of wood, let alone pay the price. Anyway, any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Blaze King boxer

Reactions: Todd
Yeah, look at the Blaze King Boxer. As far as inside wood storage goes there are other options if you have the room like a small wood rack, I use an old copper boiler that fits a days worth of wood. This could give you more stove options.

I owned 2 Hearthstones and loved them. Now I own a Woodstock, love it even more.

Do you have a wood shed? I think it’s a must with the humidity. One member had an enclosed wood shed he really likes and gets his hardwood dry in a year.

Do you have a wood shed? I think it’s a must with the humidity. One member had an enclosed wood shed he really likes and gets his hardwood dry in a year.
I do, though I want to replace it with a better one in the future. Our humidity is very high here, seems as if the wood soaks moisture from the air like a sponge. A lot different than N. ID (<20% RH in the summer, could cut in spring and be dry by the next winter).

Just from your initial thought, Blaze King Chinook popped into my head. User @stoveliker uses one on Long Island, I believe, but I think he relocated there from Tennessee, so he may have thoughts about how it would suit that climate. I’m not sure that there would be any wood storage underneath, though. The Boxer may be a better fit in that regard.

We moved to Texas from Virginia several years ago now. The wood drying situation is very different in our current arid climate than it was back east in the humidity. You’ll want to get at least two, preferably three, years ahead for hardwoods or look into solar kiln drying. At least you already know that it’s safe to burn softwoods, and they do dry much faster.

Reactions: brian_in_idaho
Yeah, look at the Blaze King Boxer. As far as inside wood storage goes there are other options if you have the room like a small wood rack, I use an old copper boiler that fits a days worth of wood. This could give you more stove options.
The Boxer is exactly the concept I like, but I'm concerned with the 2.3 CF firebox-would rather see 3.0 or a little bigger. Really wish the Chinook had wood storage. I've never owned a Blaze King, but have friends that have had them for decades and swear by them.

The other option is to just design and fab a stand for the stove that I can put wood under. Would open up some more options.

Reactions: Todd
The Boxer is exactly the concept I like, but I'm concerned with the 2.3 CF firebox-would rather see 3.0 or a little bigger. Really wish the Chinook had wood storage. I've never owned a Blaze King, but have friends that have had them for decades and swear by them.

The other option is to just design and fab a stand for the stove that I can put wood under. Would open up some more options.
It's a shallow firebox. The actual loading space will be below rating due to one being unable to load the E/W firebox fully for fear of logs rolling up against the glass. This makes it more like a 2 cu ft stove for all practical purposes.

Have you looked at the Kuma Cambridge?

Or maybe consider putting a BK Princess or a Regency 3500 on a hearth with wood storage built into the base?

It's a shallow firebox. The actual loading space will be below rating due to one being unable to load the E/W firebox fully for fear of logs rolling up against the glass. This makes it more like a 2 cu ft stove for all practical purposes.

Or maybe consider putting a BK Princess or a Regency 3500 on a hearth with wood storage built into the base?
I hadn't seen that Kuma before. They seem to have come a long way. I've been in their shop before when I lived in N ID, need to check that out more carefully. Thanks for the tips.

What about making a few repairs to your current unit. Drill an 1/8" hole at each end of the crack, and weld hole to hole.

Then, contact mfg for door latch or hinge components.

Might be worthwhile. Right now many units are not available or at least with some lead time.

BKVP

The boxer will take 16" splits N/S no problem. Just for additional info.

The boxer will take 16" splits N/S no problem. Just for additional info.
Thanks for the correction moresnow. I picked up the EW loading from another thread, but that is evidently wrong. Good to know. I just looked up the firebrick pattern and indeed there appears to be about 17" depth.

Reactions: moresnow