Modifying a Husqvarna 455 Rancher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eightball1313

Sep 24, 2019
Poconos, Pa
Hey all,

I have a Husqavarna 455 Rancher that i use a lot cutting firewood and at the sawmill. My dad has an older husqvarna that he bought from someone who had done work to it and that thing has so much power its crazy. Im not sure what exactly was done to my dads, but am looking for idea/suggestions on how to mod my 455 rancher to give it some more power. I always keep the chain sharp as a razor which obviously helps but it still just doesnt cut through as fast as id like.

Anyone else do anything to their chainsaws and see imporoved power?

thanks!

I modded my 455 Rancher by setting it on a shelf in the garage and buying a 550XP and a 562XP :)

Sounds snarky, but it is my serious suggestion. The Rancher is too heavy a saw to "use a lot" even modded (I'd guess; never modded mine). I liked my Rancher a lot -- 8 cords a years (felling, bucking, noodling, limbing, you name it) for ten years until I decided to get real. Best wood-cutting decision ever. The 550XP has more power than the 455, and is 3 pounds lighter. The 562 is the same weight, and near twice the power. Both have autotune, too -- they always run perfectly, no more carb fiddling.

The 455 is hard to mod for more power because of the design of the motor.
It is what is referred to as a clamshell motor.The cylinder and 1/2 the crankcase is one unit.
The saws that are easly modded are the professional models which have the removable cylinder from the crank case,the crank case is split vertically.

Reactions: JimBear
I'm guessing you could probably do a muffler mod and retune it.
Im not a gear head, but I've heard about pulling the spark arresters out of the muffler for increased flow.

the 455 rancher is more of a home owner saw for light to moderate use. they will last but a little low on power and a little heavy. as far as mods. as stated above not much that you can do, but a basic muffler job. I run the 550xp great all around saw with lots of power and its light, I also just picked up the 562 xp and this saw also rips. If looking for power and a lights saw go with an XP if you cutting 8 cord a year.. you'll appreciate it..

I agree the xp 50 cc saws are hard to beat! I have the 346xp and I love it! If I had to only have one saw it would be the 346xp before the Huskies went with the auto tune carbs!