Moisture Check

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
So i was at the local harbor freight today picking up a torque wrench that was on sale, and found the much talked about moisture meter by accident. Hmm...$12. So i got one.

Came back home...skin reads 40%...workbench reads 5%. Split my 1.5 year seasoned cherry...8%. Split some 9 month seasoned hedge...15%. Split some one year seasoned red oak...25%.

Seems fairly inline with what i would expect.

lukem said:
one year seasoned red oak...25%.
Was that from a live tree (OakZilla?) I got some dead standing that was split at the end of June and was then upper 20s. I'm going to dig into the stack soon, split some, and see if I can burn it now. Splits toward the top of the stack seem fairly light, compared to what they were...

This was a different oak score...i checked a couple pieces of black oak and they were nearly the same. These were live trees when cut. I just finished oakzilla a few weeks ago.

I checked a chunk of red elm that was dead when cut this spring and it read 6%.

lukem said:
So i was at the local harbor freight today picking up a torque wrench that was on sale, and found the much talked about moisture meter by accident. Hmm...$12. So i got one.

Came back home...skin reads 40%...workbench reads 5%. Split my 1.5 year seasoned cherry...8%. Split some 9 month seasoned hedge...15%. Split some one year seasoned red oak...25%.

Seems fairly inline with what i would expect.

Only time I trust one...I use my fathers once in awhile to check slabs, but I know he got a small fortune in it.

I know it isn't accurate. Mostly got it for comparison of what i know is dry to all this oak i have that i have no idea how dry it is. Just gives a general idea.

lukem said:
I checked a chunk of red elm that was dead when cut this spring and it read 6%.
6%? That seems too low for our EMC here. Your Cen-Tech claims 2% accuracy. I am befuddled...

I found some more down Red Elm, off the ground, no bark, that looks about like the stuff I just got that was 14-18%. I think some of this will go to SIL's in round form, to burn slower in her leaky Fireview. A lot of the stuff I took her this Summer was split too small. But I like the color and grain of the Red so much that my wood hoarding disorder might compel me to keep some of it. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.