Moisture content vs burn time video!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Re the reloading conditions, you need a lot of coals to get green wood to burn, so to me it makes sense to put all the loads on the same large coal bed for a fair comparison. Of course that's not how you'd operate the stove normally, but it's a strong attempt at a controlled experiment.

I agree it's a strong attempt at control but how useful is the data if that's not how you're actually going to operate the stove?

I could be wrong but I suspect the graphs would look different if run under normal stove operating conditions. I'd like to see a test of seasoned vs true kiln tried (not the half baked stuff he had...another issue with control) in that setting.

I realize I'm being picky but I just wasn't that impressed I guess. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
I agree it's a strong attempt at control but how useful is the data if that's not how you're actually going to operate the stove?

I could be wrong but I suspect the graphs would look different if run under normal stove operating conditions. I'd like to see a test of seasoned vs true kiln tried (not the half baked stuff he had...another issue with control) in that setting.

I realize I'm being picky but I just wasn't that impressed I guess. :rolleyes:
Okay then do it yourself lol

Okay then do it yourself lol

No thanks. I prefer to be an armchair critic! ;lol

I think I'm just not too concerned about the actual statistical difference. Most people here have burned less than ideal wood before and know it sucks. Kiln dried is nice but isn't hundreds of dollars a cord better than regular seasoned wood.

Caw said "Kiln dried is nice but isn't hundreds of dollars a cord better than regular seasoned wood."

Game, set, match! ;lol

Compare this to a compound dividend, flue system is clean for this test, but if you keep using wet wood you will start to have build up and no matter the air adjustment on the stove, the chimney system will start to close off restricting draft and creating lower and lower performance as time goes by.

Reactions: stoveliker