Moisture meter usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
Hi

I just got a moisture meter to check my wood for my Tarm. What is the proper way to use it? Do I need to test a fresh split area? I checked the ends of the wood I have in my greenhouse and get no reading. I checked the wood in my shed and get 15-18%. I checked the stuff for next year stacked up outside and 20-30.

Thanks

Thanks, wanted to make sure.

Eric

Eric,

What meter did you get? Cost?

What moisture content are we shooting for? I just got my meter (this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=190249941056 ) and started going through my slabwood pile......

Most of it is testing out at 17-21% moisture (measured by cutting a piece in two and measuring the end that was just cut right in the middle)

I'm finding the occasional piece that tests out around 10-12% and also an occasional 30%+ piece....

To put these readings into perspective, a kiln dried pine 2x4 standing in the corner of our machine shed tested 13% on the surface, a large wood block that we've used for a long time in the shop for sitting stuff on tested 16% on the surface, a piece of fresh cut OSB tested 7% on the cut, and a cardboard box that I just got a computer in and that has been in our house tested at 10%

I have a sense that there may be some difference in accuracy or calibration between different meters. For that reason, I think everyone will need to find what works for them.

That having been said, I've found that I need wood at 20% or less to get gasification going. Once it's going, 25 to 30% is OK, though I wouldn't want to load the boiler with all 30% wood.

Oh, that's a serious load off my mind... I was thinking it all had to be at 15% or so or less to work and I was starting to panic!! :)

Being that my boiler has...... ahem.... plenty of air control options, would more/less air help combat wet wood? If so, which should be adjusted; primary or secondary?

deerefanatic said:
Oh, that's a serious load off my mind... I was thinking it all had to be at 15% or so or less to work and I was starting to panic!! :)

Being that my boiler has...... ahem.... plenty of air control options, would more/less air help combat wet wood? If so, which should be adjusted; primary or secondary?

You might be able to do a little bit to compensate for wet wood, but the real problem is that the moisture creates an enormous amount of water vapor that dilutes the flammable gas and air mixture, and carries away heat up the chimney.

Ahh, OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.