Moisture questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
When I hauled wood in I threw in some crab apple I had . It was cut and stacked 3 years ago. Last night I grabbed a split from the basement and split it. It reads anything from 18% to 22-23% . Can I throw these in with dryer stuff or put the back out side.

You can. I would try to keep 20% as a good baseline as what to burn and if higher.....stash back for next year. But yes if you have several dry splits it wont hurt if you throw in a split that is a lil wetter.

Cut up an old apple tree here a couple few years ago that was about 3/4 dead and 1/2 fallen over. It was time. I kept some for the smoker. Wish I had of kept way more than I did.

It should be good at those readings.

Reactions: SpaceBus