More BL (score)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
On the way back from the gym this morning and spotted some tree guys taking done a monster BL covered in vines. Tomorrow the big stuffs comes down...and I'll be waiting.

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 413
Jack pot, sweet . My favorite firewood

SWEET, Stax.... there was LOTS of BL around here after Irene (Levittown, NY). I got about 4 cords of it stacked for next year. :cheese:

Just what kind of vines, all over it?

KC

Who knows...but they come off easy. Any reason I think BL smells "farmy"?

Nice pile of wood.You will know in 3 days if the vines are poison ivy.If it smelly farmy the whole house might smell farmy when you burn it.

I just had a nieghbor hook me up with his buddy who had 3 pick up truck loads of Cherry......last month my buddy & I found 2 truck loads of Hickory. My buddy ran out of space (small yard), and he said he found some Oak.....I let him use my yard for storage....I was working, so I couldn't get any for myself....he hauled 6 truck loads of Oak.....what a find....said I could take some if I needed it....

Stax said:
On the way back from the gym this morning and spotted some tree guys taking done a monster BL covered in vines. Tomorrow the big stuffs comes down...and I'll be waiting.

Nice Stax. Man, so many of you guys get free scores of wood. I am jealous! I am lucky to find a free score that is easily accessible. I have access to Ash that is free, but it is in the woods. Lots of work to get it out. I watch craigslist for easy wood. None around here. Well, very rare anyway.

Stax said:

Stax, nice score on the Black Locust.

zap

VERY VERY nice score. Premium BTUs
Why go to the gym? To get fire wood of course. LOL :lol:
2nd set of exercise is splitting. stacking wood, you double up on both counts. Sweet
Vine looks like a house plant gone rouge, I think you're OK. Leaf look like a common vine, not P ivy anyway.

Sweet score and I agree with BogyDave - not poison ivy. Cheers!

Good deal . . . general consensus is that black locust is a very, very nice wood.

Nice score! I don't think I have seen a black locust tree here in Oregon since I moved out here from Virginia 16years ago. I sure miss the availability of all the hardwood deciduous trees back east.

Thanks guys. Was raining this morning. Checked the site anyway, no tree guys to be found. Guess it's not safe to cut in the rain. Maybe tomorrow.

Man there's BL down everywhere.

It's not oak, but I take what I can get.

Great score

Bass...you're right it's not oak...it's Black Locust and I'll take it every time. In fact, I'll take it over Oak any day! With a .25 acre, Oak just has too much of a turn around time. I'd live happily ever after burning Ash & Black Locust over the next 30 years if I was so lucky.

2011 . . . Year of the Locust.

I've seen more folks this year getting loads of locust than I ever had in previous years.

Status
Not open for further replies.