Morso 1125

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TJwoods

Feb 7, 2023
Pennsylvania
Hi, I’m considering a used 1125 for my 1,000 square foot home located on a windy mountaintop in NEPA, which is well insulated. I do like a bit of fresh air inside in winter but can’t crack a window with my electric baseboard heating, which is just getting more and more expensive. Any thoughts? It seems from what I’ve read here, this stove can burn low and long if it’s set correctly, which is what I’m looking for. It will vent straight up through the roof. My concern if I set up for an 8” vent and the stove doesn’t work out, will it be a problem to switch it out with a 6”? Also is it too much for my small space?

Have you priced out 8” vs 6”? I’d personally probably be looking at a new small/medium Drolet and 6”.

Your concern about 8” is valid.

The 8" flue is because this also can double as a fireplace. It was a decent heater, though not very efficient by modern standards.

What is the budget for the stove and the flue system?

3-4K, I have a reasonably priced installer, the 1125 I’m looking at is $300, I don’t wanna go broke feeding it tho, I’m also a little concerned about indoor pollution.

There are some affordable 6" flue stoves that will do the job well and will provide a nice fire view. That will help the project stay on budget.

I’m reading up on cat vs non cat. The house is well insulated with an open loft, a lot of windows. If I turn my oven on to bake, it can raise the indoor temp about 3-5 degrees, even in below 0. The ceiling fan keeps the heat downstairs nicely. I work 12 hr shifts, I think low and slow would be best. I’m comfortable at 63-65 degrees . Any ideas what might work well and not cost $5,000 for the stove alone?

A catalytic stove will increase the cost greatly, well above the budget mentioned once the flue system is included.

Have you considered a pellet stove?

I’m reading up on cat vs non cat. The house is well insulated with an open loft, a lot of windows. If I turn my oven on to bake, it can raise the indoor temp about 3-5 degrees, even in below 0. The ceiling fan keeps the heat downstairs nicely. I work 12 hr shifts, I think low and slow would be best. I’m comfortable at 63-65 degrees . Any ideas what might work well and not cost $5,000 for the stove alone?
If the oven heats it that much are you sure you want a stove. 63-65 is on the cool side. It takes a decent sized stove like bigger than 2.5 cu ft to get a 12 hour burn cycle and anything that big will roast you out.

So you are back to an expensive BK for the extra low output but that’s over budget.

If the oven heats it that much are you sure you want a stove. 63-65 is on the cool side. It takes a decent sized stove like bigger than 2.5 cu ft to get a 12 hour burn cycle and anything that big will roast you out.

So you are back to an expensive BK for the extra low output but that’s over budget.
Thanks for all of your great info, I appreciate it. How long do you think the Drolet 1800 would keep coals? It’s 2 cu feet. Do you know if they burn low enough for my situation? I can handle a little warmer, crack my bedroom window for sleep. It seems like a nice stove with low clearance for my small space…and an ash pan. Reasonable at $1300

Thanks for all of your great info, I appreciate it. How long do you think the Drolet 1800 would keep coals? It’s 2 cu feet. Do you know if they burn low enough for my situation? I can handle a little warmer, crack my bedroom window for sleep. It seems like a nice stove with low clearance for my small space…and an ash pan. Reasonable at $1300
I thought about a propane stove, it’s easier for sure but I think expensive to run. I hate having the house so tightly sealed in winter, it gets stuffy, being able to crack a window or two would be nice.
I live in a wooded area with lots of free fuel. I think a cat wouldn’t like the free wood so much.

On a cold start it will do about 8 hours on my dense yellow pine lodes N/S turned way down with a damper. On a reload it will do 12 but. It runs hots on if you reload on a hot bed of coals. It’s probably more stove than you need. You are in a tough spot wanting 12 hour loads on well insulated 1000 sq ft.

The value of the Drolet can’t be beat. It’s a well made unit. Tends to run higher flue temps, but works on 12’ of flue.

Really if you working 12 hours how long are you away from the house, it probably takes 30-45 minutes to get air set for a burn. The other angle is a small jotul or Aspen c3 and just burn when you are home. They are both cast iron and with the small size heat up fast and throw good radiant heat. It takes more than 90 minutes from a cold start for my blower to turn on.

I thought about a propane stove, it’s easier for sure but I think expensive to run. I hate having the house so tightly sealed in winter, it gets stuffy, being able to crack a window or two would be nice.
I live in a wooded area with lots of free fuel. I think a cat wouldn’t like the free wood so much.

Why would the stove care what you paid for the wood? It only cares how dry the wood is and cat or non cat stoves both require that the wood is dry.