Moved to house with BK Princess and have a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not sure the relevance to stove temp but the temp gauge was on the low side of active.

The dial turns the same amount no matter what the temp is on my stove.
For what I am seeing you need to adjust the knob or there is something wrong with the tstat. First step is adjust it. If still having issues I am sure BKVP and many here will help you to get it running right.

I can set the damper between 40-60% or so and the stove will stall out. I will be left with probably half or maybe a little less the half of the wood left. It will still be smoldering but it will just about be out.

When I tested my wood during the winter the MC was considerably less the 20%. Tested the proper way.
The effective range, based on stack length, m.c. of fuel would be 2-6, referencing the face of a clock. In warmer weather is could be 2:30_6.

7/64 Allen wrench. Turn knob clockwise until it stops. Loosen set screw in black knob. Turn knob until white line points straight down. Tighten screw. Done.

Reactions: Doc C
Tarzan might have been right when he said 'clogged cat' too... maybe they were burning loads of cardboard in there!

Get a flashlight, clean paintbrush, and a shopvac. Take off the cat flame shield when the stove's cold (no tools required, just sits on a little ledge), and hit the face of the cat with the brush and then the shopvac. Look through it with the flashlight as much as you can and make sure you can see all the way through.

Even if that's not the problem, it can't hurt.

7/64 Allen wrench. Turn knob clockwise until it stops. Loosen set screw in black knob. Turn knob until white line points straight down. Tighten screw. Done.

So I just went to adjust it following these directions and it’s already set up like that

I kept the door open until the fire was absoluting raging.

Closed the door and with the damper wide open the fire died down drastically.

Ok. I need clarification on something.

I followed the directions for setting the damper that BKVP posted and it was set up like that already.

But one thing that got me thinking was the white line. When turning the know down the white line will go way past the #1 before stopping. Should I be using the white line as the pointer for lack of a better word and putting it between 2-6 o’clock? I have basically been having the white line pointed at about 10-11 o’clock but turned down not up to get to that point. The screw in the know should be pointed at like 5-6 the way I’ve been doing it

The fire should obviously be at its maximum with the door open (don't burn the stove this way), but with the thermostat open all the way and the door closed it should be raging in the firebox.

Here's a clogged cat test: Close the door and observe the fire for a few minutes, then close the bypass and observe the fire for a few minutes. If the fire dies down when you close the bypass, you have an airflow problem through the cat.

If the fire dies down when you close the door but closing the bypass doesn't make any difference, I'm back to thinking that you have an issue somewhere on the air intake side.

The fire should obviously be at its maximum with the door open (don't burn the stove this way), but with the thermostat open all the way and the door closed it should be raging in the firebox.

Here's a clogged cat test: Close the door and observe the fire for a few minutes, then close the bypass and observe the fire for a few minutes. If the fire dies down when you close the bypass, you have an airflow problem through the cat.

If the fire dies down when you close the door but closing the bypass doesn't make any difference, I'm back to thinking that you have an issue somewhere on the air intake side.

Thank you. I’ll do this when I get back home. Any idea about my post above with the white line on the knob?

Thank you. I’ll do this when I get back home. Any idea about my post above with the white line on the knob?

No idea about knob calibration- I've never messed with it, and I have a different setup.

It is normal for the fire to die way down with the door shut if the stove is hot and the thermostat isn't set high- the thermostat has the intake air closed off a lot in this case. If you set the thermostat low or medium low and watch the stove for an hour, you'll see the fire keep flaring up as the firebox cools and the thermostat calls for more air, and then it will die off again when the firebox heats up and the thermostat chokes back on intake air.

I just found the manual online. It looks like the white line is the pointer. So basically I have been turning the stove way down like past 0 if that’s even possible. This explains why the stove has been dying out. I was using the other aide of the knob as the pointer, the side with the Allan screw in it. The white line is so worn down that I can barely see it was a flashlight pointed at it.

Reactions: Highbeam
The white line on the knob should be pointing down or at 6 o'clock when at wide open. At the same time you should feel the stopping point.

Attachments

• 1522603625747-496772682.jpg
    1522603625747-496772682.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
My mark for 24 to 30 hrs depending how full I load it

Attachments

• 1522603883220-1265674194.jpg
    1522603883220-1265674194.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 118
The white line on the knob should be pointing down or at 6 o'clock when at wide open. At the same time you should feel the stopping point.

Ok. I have a problem then.

My knob is set like BKVP says to do.

Now with that being said. I can turn my knob about 350 degrees before I hit the stops.

Also my knob looks a lot different. The white line is not on the face. It’s on the top.

Turn it clockwise all the way till it stops. Loosen the screw and rotate the knob till is pointing at 6 o'clock. Be sure the shaft doesn't move during this process and tight the screw back on. That should be it

Also my knob looks a lot different. The white line is not on the face. It’s on the top.
Still it is the same process.

Turn it clockwise all the way till it stops. Loosen the screw and rotate the knob till is pointing at 6 o'clock. Be sure the shaft doesn't move during this process and tight the screw back on. That should be it

Already did this. It was already set like this. But it still rotates almost all the way around

If it stops at 6 o'clock clockwise it's ok. Counterclockwise it does go real far and that is ok also. You just need to find the setting that works for you into the range of the sticker or numbers according to the system you have.

Could be wet wood

If it stops at 6 o'clock clockwise it's ok. Counterclockwise it does go real far and that is ok also. You just need to find the setting that works for you into the range of the sticker or numbers according to the system you have.

This explains exactly what it’s doing. Glad to know it’s normal.

I think it’s because I was using the wrong side of the knob to set the temp.

Couldn’t see the white line. I’ll experiment more when I get back home.

Already did this. It was already set like this. But it still rotates almost all the way around
Yes, the knob will turn vastly beyond the actual low point. Remember 2-6 is the effective range of use....

Yes, the knob will turn vastly beyond the actual low point. Remember 2-6 is the effective range of use....

Where I think I got messed up is my white line was worn away on the knob.I had to really search for it when I was following your directions to calibrate the knob.

I was essentially using the alen head side of the knob to set the heat range which was putting me 180 degrees BELOW the setting I thought I was on.

Problem solved! Now to see if your old cat works. If it glows red with a raging fire, it's alive to some degree.

If it makes lots of heat and eats all the smoke (just go outside and look at the chimney) on a very low burn, it's alive and well. It won't glow visibly when burning low.

Problem solved! Now to see if your old cat works. If it glows red with a raging fire, it's alive to some degree.

If it makes lots of heat and eats all the smoke (just go outside and look at the chimney) on a very low burn, it's alive and well. It won't glow visibly when burning low.

I got home about 2 hours ago. The fire was out. I restarted it and let it get going. Engaged the cat and turned the WHITE LINE to about 3 o’clock. Seems to be holding on the upper end of the active zone for last hour and a half or so.

Cat does have a glow to it. Going to turn it down a little more in a bit. Probably to about 2 o’clock position and see what happens.

Reactions: lsucet and tarzan