Moving firewood during heating season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
upload_2018-6-7_9-14-31.png
I like to use two satchels, as it keeps me balanced when carrying 60 lb of wood thru the house several times per day

I am spoiled with a mud room 10 feet from the main woodstove that holds 2/3 cord.
The supplemental woodstove is more of a pain which is on the other side of the house.
I carry splits to it in an 18 gallon Rubbermade bin.

Last edited:
I bring a wheel barrow full to my garage its enough for 3-5 days. To bring wood from the garage upstairs(raised ranch) where the stove is I use a canvas tote like edyit. Most of the time I manage to drop some crumbs along the way.

Insert chest thump here.

Tarped stacks outside > rack in the garage, holds about a week's worth of wood > the day's wood comes in the morning and sits on the hearth.

All wood transported using a canvas tote unless there's no snow on the ground, then it's wheelbarrow to bring it to the garage.

In the Winter I take approximately 1 1/2-2 weeks worth of wood and put it on the covered back porch (really it's more of a covered and enclosed deck than an actual porch). I reload this once a week.

On a daily basis I take the wood I need for the next 24 hours and bring it inside from the stack on the porch using a canvas wood tote from LL Bean. This wood is stored in the woodbox next to the woodstove.

I'm fortunate enough that our garage is deep enough to hold about 2.5 cord. And the family room (stove room) goes right out to the garage. So, mid-October I bring 2.5 cords up to the garage, and organize it into shoulder season (white pine), kind of cold (red maple), and downright freezing (oak, locust, sugar maple), so I can easily pick and choose what I need.

Then it's an easy walk into the garage to fill up the tote with a stove full of wood. No trudging through snow, until February or so, when I need to bring the next 2 cord in.

I have a cart for an ATV that holds somewhere around 1/4 to 1/5 of a cord. I use that to put about 2 months worth in the basement. Since adding the upstairs fireplace, I've brought armloads up the steps and into the living room as needed to keep the fire going.

Over the summer, I plan to clear out space in the basement to do as others have here; put the winter's supply into the basement so I don't have to worry with it.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
I am curious how you all store, move, and otherwise keep your firewood “circulating” from the wood pile outside to eventually making its way into the stove or insert.

The wife and I are still looking for the best option for us. The challenge that presents itself for us is no easy access to the stove without dragging an armful of wood through the house (messy, tiring etc). Last year, I built a mini shed and put it in the patio and tried putting wood through the window right by the wood stove, the issue here was cold air coming through the window while passing wood through. Very easy access, but cold.

Just idea hunting. Thoughts? Do you guys have storage boxes? How much wood do yuh keep in the house at any given time? How often are you going to the wood pile versus how much do you keep In a garage/close to the house?

We bought our house so we are dealing with the cards we've been dealt. If I were building new, I'd have a completely different setup (either a large wood room or a wood shed attached to a boiler room). Our basement is completely finished so there's nowhere to store wood in any quantities.

I build this wood box the first year we were here. It fits through doorways and I roll from one end of the basement (where the stove is) to the basement stairwell entry from the garage. I have a 3 x 5 garden trailer that I sue to haul wood from the shed into the garage and it will fill the wood box perfectly if filled just slightly over the brim. I hand carry the wood from the garage to the box... about 5 stairs in total I think. Burning 6-7 cord, it's a fairly laborious process over the course of a winter, but my 2 oldest kids are getting to the age they can effectively help (4 & 6) and I don't mind. During the deep cold, it can be a few times a week, but it doesn't take long. 20 minutes if I hustle from loading it in the shed to wheeling the box beside the stove.

ridd9z.jpg

nta89.jpg

ir8gnt.jpg

2aeyoif.jpg