Mowing in circles!??...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay H said:
You guys realize in a parallel universe, there is some lawnmower forum where they are discussing about burning splits in a wood stove in a circular fashion and if it provides more heat or not. :)

Jay

The scary thing is . . . you're probably right . . . there probably is a lawn mowing forum . . . and there very well could be a thread about the best way to burn wood in a woodstove in their Non-Lawn Mowing section. Thanks for the good laugh this afternoon.

billb3 said:
but I collect the clippings for compost.

If I did that - I would have a pile that could cover a pickup truck after each mowing. I thought about it, but then thought again. I don't have a manicured lawn...grass gets tall, I make it shorter, thats the deal. :lol:

Full disclosure: Up around the house stays pretty neat and tidy, but the other acreage- not so much.

Unless you're mulching, you always need to consider where the clipping discharge. By mowing in circles from the middle outward, the clippings will discharge evenly toward the centre. Some people will start on the perimeter, discharging onto the uncut portion that is picked up on the next pass but each pass results in more cuttings being moved over. Then after one is far enough in from the perimeter so that the discharge doesn't reach beyond the edge, they reverse their direction, discharging onto the cut area. This leaves an uneven distribution of clippings and an odd striping effect.

I, on the other hand, mulch mow so keeping the discharge from blowing into the wife's flower beds is not an issue.

As for farmers, they don't do everything in rows. Haying is usually done in circles starting from the outside, working toward the middle.

I invite space aliens to use my lawn as a landing pad. It really creates real interesting patterns and usually the local media shows up as well.. bonus! (and the aliens do a good job at keeping the grass low).

Jay*

*as you can read, it's been a silly week for me as I prepare to move north...

LLigetfa said:
Unless you're mulching, you always need to consider where the clipping discharge. By mowing in circles from the middle outward, the clippings will discharge evenly toward the centre. Some people will start on the perimeter, discharging onto the uncut portion that is picked up on the next pass but each pass results in more cuttings being moved over. Then after one is far enough in from the perimeter so that the discharge doesn't reach beyond the edge, they reverse their direction, discharging onto the cut area. This leaves an uneven distribution of clippings and an odd striping effect.

I, on the other hand, mulch mow so keeping the discharge from blowing into the wife's flower beds is not an issue.

As for farmers, they don't do everything in rows. Haying is usually done in circles starting from the outside, working toward the middle.
Still in Rowe's that the baler can follow.

LLigetfa said:
Unless you're mulching, you always need to consider where the clipping discharge.

I don't mulch -- my clippings discharge into the bins on the accessory bagger.

I just replaced the blades on mine, and I thought it was a nice touch that one side was stamped "Grass side." ;-)

pyper said:
I just replaced the blades on mine, and I thought it was a nice touch that one side was stamped "Grass side." ;-)

Does the mower also have labels for "butt holder", "turny thingy" and "step here to stop"? :lol:

LLigetfa said:

That's just because the mower hangs off to the side of the machine. If you didn't mow in circles while cutting hay then your rows would be in pairs and the turn around would be a mutha.

ironpony said:
I used to cut similar to that, more of an oval though
started around a flower bed in the center (almost)
actually saves time not having to turn around so much

+1 This is especially true for those of us that don't have ZTR mowers. It would be an extreme time saver if your yard is a circle. Don't know anyone that has a circle yard though... Always rectangular.

CJRages said:
+1 This is especially true for those of us that don't have ZTR mowers. It would be an extreme time saver if your yard is a circle. Don't know anyone that has a circle yard though... Always rectangular.

My yard doesn't have any corners. It's more of a U shape than anything, with the house in the middle. I normally mow the one side first, and then the other two at once (going back and forth in an L). My pattern is determined, in part, by the location of the compost pile where the clippings end up.

Probably about an acre of grass.

I often mow in circles on the 4 acres i mow. I start on the inside and go counter clockwise and blow all clippings to the edge and disperse them at the edge's then i drive and get the small spot i missed in the middle, then i move on to the next circle and it really looks great!!! i'll take a pic and show you all.

woodsman23 said:
I often mow in circles on the 4 acres i mow. I start on the inside and go counter clockwise and blow all clippings to the edge and disperse them at the edge's then i drive and get the small spot i missed in the middle, then i move on to the next circle and it really looks great!!! i'll take a pic and show you all.

Pic"s

CJRages said:
ironpony said:
Don't know anyone that has a circle yard though... Always rectangular.
Mine's not exactly circular but in no way is it rectangular. There is not a straight section anywhere. Even my driveway is serpentine. Of the 18 acres I own, 3 acres are cleared and 2 of them are lawn. The outer edges of the lawn follow natural and man made contours. There is 4 feet of elevation difference between the highest and lowest area, not counting ditches.

Highbeam said:
LLigetfa said:

That's just because the mower hangs off to the side of the machine. If you didn't mow in circles while cutting hay then your rows would be in pairs and the turn around would be a mutha.

now out west we have these fancy Hydro swing disc binds thingy's (for the last 10 years or so) so after the opening rounds are done - we go back to the rows, up and down the fields. I guess the mower is still off the side of the tractor, just that with the touch of a lever, it moves to the other side; over and over and over and over again. You guessed it, it's haying season here!

so, what does he do with the corner pieces? You said he's left with four wedge shaped pieces. Also, this is a stupid idea unless you have a square shaped building free yard. Rectangles won't work near as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.