MTD 20 ton splitter needs new push ram

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
well after almost 18yrs of faithful service the ram I think needs to be replaced.The piece that comes out and connects to the valve body has fatique and cracked and is now leaking fluid. I don't think it can be welded.Maybe it can. Where would I look for a replacement. Just when i'm 2 cords away from being 5 yrs ahead. I've put 18 cords though the old girl in the last few monthes. She just got a little tired. Any help would be great. Thanks-Rusty

I just took a look at that place on my 1988 MTD/Duerr 20 ton and I would have it welded. Well, I would after I wire brushed it down and tried a bead of JB Weld on it and if that failed off to the welding shop.

Look for a hydraulics supplier. Take the ram out and bring it to them. They can fix it if possible and also install new rings.

I just took a look at that place on my 1988 MTD/Duerr 20 ton and I would have it welded. Well, I would after I wire brushed it down and tried a bead of JB Weld on it and if that failed off to the welding shop.

JB is fantastic stuff but I wouldn't trust it to 2000+ psi.

Heavy equipment shop may also be able to help with the cylinder rebuild.

Hard to repair a crack that's been oil soaked.
May need it ground out then welded.

+1 with gzecc & MM, take it to a shop & get an estimate.

thanks-mtd wants $890.00 plus $300.00 shipping for new ram. Off to the welder I go.
Rusty

:eek: $1200 ? ? ?
Did you tell mtd you just wanted a part, not a whole new splitter ?
Companies wonder why they don''t stay successful, that's one of the reasons! They try to milk more money out of customers.

mtd don't have the only ram that will fit your splitter.
Usually a very common size that most hydraulic shops have on the shelf ;)

Repairing it is a good choice.

Thats just what I told him. I thanked him for his time and said good-bye. And that was before tax.
Rusty

It is a very doable repair, I've done it a work. To be done right (and safely)the cylinder will need to come apart and be cleaned. The crack has to ground to V it out and cleaned again then welded. Total welding time about 5 min., Prep time to do it right about an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.