Mulberry as Firewod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York

I recently cut down a mulberry tree in my yard and was wondering how well it burns (seasoned of course). I believe it is considered to be a hardwood even though it is also called a weed tree at times. I want to use it in my wood stove next Winter. Any information regarding this would be appreciated.

I got two cords of mixed hardwood about a month ago, it is about 50% mulberry (the rest is oak and maple). I have never burned it before, but the seller said it burns well. It looks similar to Cherry, so I will mix it in with the oak and maple and make sure the fire is hot before adding. My experience with Cherry is that it can burn well, but sometimes smolders when the fire is not hot enough. I found a link that rates Mulberry as 'excellent' for firewood usage : http://www.demesne.info/Garden-Help/Trees-Shrubs/Firewood-hard.htm

Mulberry burns awesomely well. It's one of the best woods there is for burning. Save it for overnight burns.

I too have cut up some mulberry in the past few weeks and it looks like it is going to be a very good burning wood once it is seasoned. It splits much easier than the oak I'm used to splitting but seem just as dense. According to some of the BTU charts I've seen it is just as good if not better burning than oak. I'm as anzious as you to try it out this winter.

It is an above-average fuelwood that is very wet and heavy when green. It burns well and throws off good heat but it does pop a lot because of moisture pockets so keep that in mind when using it but yes it is very good fuelwood.

I don't know about Mulberry, but I believe what I read here--and how bad could it be? The btu charts don't lie.

I just wanted to make this observation, re: your concern:

even though it is also called a weed tree at times.

Locust is also called a "weed tree," and yet I'm convinced it's one of the hottest, best-burning woods aroundd--and the "blue fame" from the coaling stage looks, IMO, like natural gas flames.

I bet Mulberry is just fine, if seasoned adequately.

Thanks to all of those who replied to my request. This site is always a wealth of information.

TruePatriot said:
I don't know about Mulberry, but I believe what I read here--and how bad could it be? The btu charts don't lie.

I just wanted to make this observation, re: your concern:

even though it is also called a weed tree at times.

Locust is also called a "weed tree," and yet I'm convinced it's one of the hottest, best-burning woods aroundd--and the "blue fame" from the coaling stage looks, IMO, like natural gas flames.

I bet Mulberry is just fine, if seasoned adequately.
I was taught in my plant science days at UNH that the definition of a weed is "a plant out of place" In other words roses sprouting out of your bentgrass golf green are a weed just as bentgrass invading your prized rose collection would be a weed. Given Mulberry and Black Locut's heat potential, there aren't a whole lots of places they could grow that I'd call them a weed. :)

I would enjoy burning these weeds any time. If the Oak isn't available because most people think its the best,then just send some of the mulberry and locust as a replacement . Better then oak and readily available as far as I'm concerned.

I would enjoy burning these weeds any time. If the Oak isn't available because most people think its the best, then just send some of the mulberry and locust as a replacement . Better then oak and readily available as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.