Mulberry perhaps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody5506

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2017
Rochester NY
Today I helped a family member clear part of a fallen (supposedly) mulberry tree. I would've honestly thought it was black locust, as the differences are pretty subtle. He did tell me it gets berries on it though. It seems the wood is just barely lighter than other black locust I have, it splits about the same if not easier, and the bark is a bit smoother. From what I've read it's a pretty decent wood when seasoned, up there in BTU's a bit less than oak.

Does anyone regularly burn Mulberry or come across it often?

Attachments

• 20170510_173317.jpg
    20170510_173317.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 20170510_194151.jpg
    20170510_194151.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 20170510_195108.jpg
    20170510_195108.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 254
  • 20170510_194145.jpg
    20170510_194145.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 241
Today I helped a family member clear part of a fallen (supposedly) mulberry tree. I would've honestly thought it was black locust, as the differences are pretty subtle. He did tell me it gets berries on it though. It seems the wood is just barely lighter than other black locust I have, it splits about the same if not easier, and the bark is a bit smoother. From what I've read it's a pretty decent wood when seasoned, up there in BTU's a bit less than oak.

Does anyone regularly burn Mulberry or come across it often?

I have probably a cord of it in my stacks, but haven't burned any yet...most charts have it above all varieties of oak, and just a hair short of Black Locust. Agree that what you have there is Mulberry.

Reactions: Woody5506
Looks like it

Agreed, mulberry. I have some in the stacks with my oak but with the milder winter I saved most of it, I have burned a few pieces and it pops so be careful opening the door on reload

Yes, it looks like Mulberry. Should turn a purplish color as it seasons.

I really like mulberry. It splits much easier green. Burns hot with a purple flame. Osage is similar in looks except it burns way hotter.

I believe it is in the same family as locust and Osage orange, very good wood burns hot. I just picked some up myself.

Mulberry grows like a weed and it is excellent fuelwood but it has to be dry, it is a very wet wood when fresh but when dry it throws great heat but pops and sparks quite a bit like others here have said! And it starts out yellow in color but when dry will be a brownish red color on the ends, very interesting to see how that happens!

Great stuff!