My BK Ashford 25 is here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pittpizza

Feb 2, 2018
Pittsburgh
The installer said that he won't install a metal block off plate but would stuff a lot of extra insulation up there.

He also is strongly advising me of not putting the outlet behind the stove. We didn't really want a cord hanging out of the front of our wood stove.

My father-in-law and I can run some armored cable out the ash trap and install a metal box ourselves. He is strongly advising us from having the outlet for the fan behind the stove because that would require pulling the stove out every time you wanted maintenance some parts of it.

What are your thoughts on this? Can I or should I have the outlet for the plug behind the stove or is it a bad idea for the Ashford 25?

A lot of installers don’t want the liability of the outlet in the Fireplace. Since it’s not mentioned in the manual, you’ve just gotta use common sense. Some models have an inside wiring kit available and provide instructions. The kits are nothing special. We use a steel box and armorflex off to the side and sometimes cover it with some ceramic wool, depending on the unit. Never had any problems. I wouldn’t put it behind the unit though.

I would find a different installer. A block off plate is the right way to go, because it stops air flow. Insulation just slows air flow. As far as the plug goes flow the manufactures guide lines. If you want a way to turn it off without pulling the stove out, put in a switch.

Just tell him you want the block off plate, and are willing to pay for it. Do the electrical yourself.

Check local code, but usually the outlet if hidden, must have a service disconnect method near the supplied appliance. This is for safety so that if one works on the blower, the service person knows the circuit is not live. The service disconnect can be a simple wall switch for the outlet.

I understand not wanting the cord but I would also consider using a UPS backup battery next to the fireplace, depending on your setup you can paint a trim cover to hide the cord going to the side you choose to install the cord on. You will be thankful you have the the backup battery if you have a power outage in the middle of the night to keep the fan going.

The installer said that he won't install a metal block off plate but would stuff a lot of extra insulation up there.

He also is strongly advising me of not putting the outlet behind the stove. We didn't really want a cord hanging out of the front of our wood stove.

My father-in-law and I can run some armored cable out the ash trap and install a metal box ourselves. He is strongly advising us from having the outlet for the fan behind the stove because that would require pulling the stove out every time you wanted maintenance some parts of it.

What are your thoughts on this? Can I or should I have the outlet for the plug behind the stove or is it a bad idea for the Ashford 25?

Did you get a block off plate installed? I’m having someone come out tomorrow to inspect, clean, and quote me on a block off plate and insulation for my ashford 25. The original BK dealer/installler I used last year would not install a block off plate.

No, no one would install one. They all said it's unnecessary.
It is not necessary, but it does make a significant improvement in insert heat output, especially for exterior wall chimneys. We've had people here that were ready to tear out their stove that put a block off plate in and from that moment on they were able to heat the place satisfactorily. If nothing else, think of the wood saved.

I'm sold begreen but its above my pay grade and not something I can DIY.

I really did try but 4 different guys at 4 different shops all said. You can imagine the looks I got when I told them that a lot of info on the internet is out there saying it's better.

At the end of the day I think the block off plate is about as much labor as the entire installation without it. It was very easy for these guys to get in my freshly cleaned chimney, thread a 6 inch pipe through 13 x 13 in flue and simply connect to the stove.

Moving the 500 lb stove into place was the hardest part. They're in and out and about 2-3 hours. Honestly I think it just boils down to laziness and that they don't want to deal with the chore.

You are the customer paying the bill. It's okay to tell the company, thanks, you may not think it is necessary but I still want it installed and will pay the additional charge to have it done.

19B97A69-C85B-4122-A364-B8CD5AB8391C.jpeg
I asked 3 different shops...they won’t install one for me Either. I am going to keep asking around.

They also are coming back to install a chase cover I guess. I’m getting water in the chimney that’s getting to the insulation around the liner. They should have installed that in the first place? My ashford was installed 10 months ago. I am wondering why I’m having issues already.

I also asked for the extension to be Insulated, as you can see it’s rigid. So that’s getting fixed also.

Just trying to max performance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your chimney crown likely does need some attention. I’m not sure a chase cover is in order though.. if they do, make certain it’s stainless steel.
That extension is very odd looking. I see lots of red silicone gooped around but no storm collar. Any chance you can get a picture from the roof?

We used to call an installation with caulking all goobered up like that a BUM (butt ugly mess). Maybe contact a couple good reputable and certified chimney sweeps for a look and bid on fixing this and putting in a block-off plate.

I am trying to find someone to do those things....the installer is offering to take a look and fix anything that has to do with the liner for free...They also said they would help me correct this.

Can anyone help describe what I should have installed up top on the cap? After all the masonry repairs are done.