My delivery fleet, loaded and ready to go.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
quads said:
smokinjay said:
I seen you swing the gule kinda goes without saying... :cheese:
Yes, the glue is cracked already and only used it a couple times since putting the new handle in. HA! As long as it keeps this handle tight, but I have my doubts. I run into a tougher round once in awhile where I have to give it a little more oomph and that seems to separate the man's handles from the boys! :)

I still have the yellow Truper maul, which I cracked the outer covering on that fairly quickly after buying it, but that doesn't seem to matter, it's still holding up just fine. But I only use it as an emergency backup maul. I like the antique so much better. The Truper does well, but almost never seems to split on the first swing, whereas the antique maul almost always does. The Truper usually takes two swings. Someday I am going to take the grinder to the head of the Truper and do a little modifying, maybe make it more to my liking.

lol, I think it the Volume messing with you! :lol: 30 ton splitter are only good for a couple 100 cords.

Quads, get some "boiled linseed oil" at the store, get your handle in the head nice and tight, then soak the whole head in the BLO for a couple of days.

smokinjay said:
lol, I think it the Volume messing with you! :lol: 30 ton splitter are only good for a couple 100 cords.
I'm much more experienced and longer lasting than any 30 ton splitter ever made! HAHA!

Danno77 said:
Quads, get some "boiled linseed oil" at the store, get your handle in the head nice and tight, then soak the whole head in the BLO for a couple of days.
I've seen boiled linseed oil mentioned here before, but have never noticed it in any stores around here, and have never heard of anybody around here using it. If Farm and Fleet would have still had a new fiberglass replacement handle a couple weeks ago that's what would be on my maul now. But it doesn't look like they carry them anymore, only wooden ones in stock. I haven't checked Tractor Supply yet, they used to have them too, but the local Ace Hardware only has the wooden ones in stock now too. What the heck? I guess everybody just buys whole new mauls nowadays, but the new mauls just don't work as good as the antique one I have does. Someday I will get one of those long-handled Fiskars, if they ever become available locally, and I will see what it will do and how quickly I can pound it into oblivion! HA!

Just got home from Tractor Supply. They don't have replacement fiberglass handles anymore either! Only wooden ones. Instead of messing around with a wooden one last year when I needed a new handle, I should have just gotten fiberglass when they still carried them. Lasts for 25+ years and I would never have to worry about it again in my lifetime......

Quads, Walmart and other hardware stores usually have it. It's generally back in the area with sandpaper and wood stain and polyurethane. Looks like this:
34737-01-200.jpg

Some people say to thin it with turp, but I just use it straight and find that it works well. I don't split as much as you do, though...

Oh, ok, thanks! It's in the paint department then. I'll have to take a look when I'm there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.