My first 650 miles with a BEV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For CCS charging stations found by ABRP, I then also check PlugShare to get their uptime stats, nearby retail and food, etc.

I also recommend that anyone thinking of getting an EV download ABRP, and put their most common trips in it to see what charging is like.

ABRP is what everyone uses. The free version is great. The pay version takes things like weather into account. Overkill IMO.

Download the app, running it in a phone browser sucks.

I think the Tesla has that all built in to the infotainment (never played with a Tesla). Don't know if there is an app equivalent.
Ok I though I got Abrp last night but it was plug share. Ok. Seems like this is way to solve.

Knowing the location of charging stations is one thing. Knowing their current status is another really important data point. There's nothing like driving 10 miles out of your way in unfamiliar territory only to find out that the charger is broken, or occupied for the next 4 hrs.

Reactions: semipro
Knowing the location of charging stations is one thing. Knowing their current status is another really important data point. There's nothing like driving 10 miles out of your way in unfamiliar territory only to find out that the charger is broken, or occupied for the next 4 hrs.
This is where I think Tesla has an advantage. I’m sure they get full but with 8+ chargers is per location I don’t expect to wait long. At least in Rockingham NC. I pop over to my local super charger once a month and have never seen all 10 stalls full.

Ran the route through ABRP. For 400 mile trip I’m charging a total of 58 minutes. Probably will charge to more than planer lists not sure how much driving at the destination we will do. And the wedding chose the hotel that does not have chargers.

BG, this sort of thing has become MUCH less of a problem in my experience. The new stations (along say I-95) usually have 4-10 stalls (making it more likely that one or two offline stations are not a problem) and this means congestion is less of a problem (I have never had to wait, even when there were 4-5 other vehicles there already charging). Also, a lot of the new vehicles charge at 150kW or higher, and are stopping for just 20 minutes or even less.

Also, there are plenty of stations within a couple miles of the route. Oddly, the stations at the rest areas on 95 (in New Jersey) are older, slower and smaller. I usually drive 2 miles off 95 to a Walmart that has a huge bank of new chargers.

When I did this one Sunday evening, it was a 'party' of a dozen different high-end EV's and their owners hanging out and eyeing each others' hot rods like something out of American Graffiti.

Three tricks I have learned:
1. All DCFC take credit cards. But do NOT use a credit card. Many of the (unattended) readers have been hacked and your number will be stolen. Use the network app on your phone to pay.
2. Sometimes a unit is offline, and the app will tell you that, but the unit itself will not (there is no attendant to put a sign on it). I have seen people pull up to a (offline) unit plug in, get frustrated, etc. And then I tell them the app says its off line. Check the app.
3. Sometimes a unit will be working, but will only charge at 25 kW or so. Just switch units or the cable on the unit you're on if it has two. These cables (for 150 or 300 kW) are liquid cooled. If the coolant flow is blocked, the unit derates to 25 kW. This is better than 0 kW and keeps a user from getting stranded (so you can see why they do that), but not what you need.

EBS-P will be using Tesla stations, so I suspect none of this will be an issue.

Reactions: semipro
Main freeway corridors are improving, but not everyone travels on the interstate system. That's where it gets dicier. In eastern WA, OR, NV one is more likely to take a US highway instead to travel. ABRP shows nothing for these routes that cover hundreds of miles.

Just for yuks I looked at ABRP for a trip from Seattle to Lewiston, ID in a Chevy Bolt. The first recommended place had 2 out of 3 chargers out of service. The second stop if you made it this far was listed as "unknown". Not confidence inspiring considering one could be stranded. And few options if one is. I love driving electric, but the charging network is not robust unless one owns a Tesla, and that is not going to happen for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodgeek
I wonder what Tesla opening their chargers to everyone will do? I could see some premium membership club with a monthly fee that allows you reserve the 250 kw chargers.

I wonder what Tesla opening their chargers to everyone will do? I could see some premium membership club with a monthly fee that allows you reserve the 250 kw chargers.

If I recall, they are opening to capture some govt $$ that rewards them being open. I think that they will only open a subset of the DCFC at each station, so there can still be haves and have nots.

If I recall, they are opening to capture some govt $$ that rewards them being open. I think that they will only open a subset of the DCFC at each station, so there can still be haves and have nots.
Yeah but I think there is a third class that sees Tesla as a premium luxury brand and wants treated accordingly. The number of Tesla owners really upset that they don’t get a a loaner car when they go in for service is a lot.

Reactions: woodgeek
I wonder if there is some app, with network of homeowners with an EV charger installed who are willing to let others use it. They could show their charger type, fee, and status. So someone could arrange something with them either in advance or in a pinch. Maybe even some good samaritins where helping someone in a bind is worth more than the charging cost. When the commercial charging network is spotty and unreliable, or in some places nonexistent.

Yeah there’s always risk but no worse than uber, or any other service.

If there’s legality with the power company, it might have to be limited to folks who generate their own power like solar or wind. Could get your system paid for faster.

You'd have to talk to your insurance first. And given the exclusions for e.g. Uber in car insurance policies, I expect to have the same thing with opening your charger for *paid* use.

I wonder if there is some app, with network of homeowners with an EV charger installed who are willing to let others use it. They could show their charger type, fee, and status. So someone could arrange something with them either in advance or in a pinch. Maybe even some good samaritins where helping someone in a bind is worth more than the charging cost. When the commercial charging network is spotty and unreliable, or in some places nonexistent.

Yeah there’s always risk but no worse than uber, or any other service.

If there’s legality with the power company, it might have to be limited to folks who generate their own power like solar or wind. Could get your system paid for faster.
The Plugshare app did just this at the dawn of the EV age, and still does. Its just that most folks are not interested in L2 speeds.

What is needed is for hotel/motels to install more L2 (which are cheap) as destination chargers. Few do.

Level 2 chargers are not cheap with commercial electric account. A building electrical system has to be built to supply the worst case power demand and adding multiple 240volt 20Amp circuits that could be engaged at the same time means a serious upgrade to the incoming electric meter and gear. I think they would much rather lease a conrer fo the parking lot to some third party to let them deal with hassle and power demand charges.

Level 2 chargers are not cheap with commercial electric account. A building electrical system has to be built to supply the worst case power demand and adding multiple 240volt 20Amp circuits that could be engaged at the same time means a serious upgrade to the incoming electric meter and gear. I think they would much rather lease a conrer fo the parking lot to some third party to let them deal with hassle and power demand charges.

There are a number of outfits/arrangements that do just that, including Tesla.

Traveling out of town I would only ever want level 2 over night.

You could always charge 15$ For a palm reading. Charging could be a friendly gesture;)

6k+ mile update. Front axels are getting a bit louder. They will need replaced this year. Rear tire wear will be an issue. I bet I’m lucky to make 20k down to the wear bars on the rear inside treads. Rethinking the 3k$+ rear suspension upgrade to get adjustable camber arms.

I got to push the full self driving beta enroll button and get a safety score. I don’t have, and have no expectation now of ever getting FSD. And keeping a decent safety score takes all the fun out of driving. The button was a trick.

Some day I’d like to to see what 1/4 mile pass feels like.

2022 was 10.5 months 6200k miles. Tesla says 359$ in electric charging. Call it 60$ per 1k miles. 2.2 miles per kWh or 435Wh/mile. In car menu says 342 Wh/mile.

391AD4D8-B422-41BB-A932-8A98E1CBA73B.png

That's decent. If I did the math correctly, an equivalent range of a tankful of gas, say 300 miles, cost $17.37.
How is the total spent calculated? Tesla chargers or all charging? Does it include level 2 charging at a Chargepoint charger? Does the charging cost include home charging too?

What is needed is for hotel/motels to install more L2 (which are cheap) as destination chargers. Few do.
Totally agree. I think that this is a missed opportunity for many hosts, including restaurants.
I frequently provide this feedback to business owners when I see this as a potential way to increase their business.

That's decent. If I did the math correctly, an equivalent range of a tankful of gas, say 300 miles, cost $17.37.
How is the total spent calculated? Tesla chargers or all charging? Does it include level 2 charging at a Chargepoint charger? Does the charging cost include home charging too?
I only pay for home level 2 (that I restrict to 13 A ) charging. Last bill was up to 14 cents per KWH.

Public destination chargers (level 2) are free and i plug in when convenient maybe 5-10 kWh a month. I’ll stop at the supper charger if I have below 50% and time. Yesterday I supercharged charged 50 kWhs.

The free supercharging reduced the tots cost by 8% but I think I does figure in the cost of the other (free to me me charging). But not sure.

I have not used any other public chargers than the super charger and the destination charger 3 miles from my house.

I scheduled my first service appointment this week. I have three issues I’m wanting to get fixed. The newest one is all the parking sensors quit working. Not a big deal I know but after 7k miles I still am not confident where the the bumpers are and with the turning radius of a truck it’s nice to have.

Process was simple open the app check a box add a one sentence explanation of the issue. Pick an appointment time. Next business day appointments were available at the service center 2.5 hours away. But by only choosing to report the park sensor not working I was able to get a mobile service appointment 2.5 weeks out. So with will come to my house or work and fix it. They ran remote diagnostic and had an estimate ready for me to approve in less than two days. No 100$ diagnostic fee. That always gets me whenever I take something in with the check engine light on. It’s a wiring harness that will be replaced. 450$. Get to see if and how my 3rd party warranty works.

Added bonus I’m getting my cameras upgraded. Full self driving baby! Let’s see this thing in action. I probably need to drive 100 miles with autopilot on on the interstate before I can get it. They grant make voice commands work reliably but it should be able to drive it self!!!!

Work is scheduled for the 3rd. Up to this point navigating this for the first time has been easy. I get why they don’t want you calling the service centers. This is the new service model. Let someone in a cubicle deal with you while someone else or a computer diagnoses the issue. I want to know how many Tesla repairs are remotely diagnosed and how many must be done in person.

6500 miles and bad front axles showing can't be too confidence inspiring?
It’s 30k on the odometer. It’s a known issue 30k if they haven’t added the “fix” is average. Bad design. High drive shaft angles. Made worse by adjustable ride height.

Bad design. High drive shaft angles. Made worse by adjustable ride height.
Citroen solved that issue decades ago.

It’s 30k on the odometer. It’s a known issue 30k if they haven’t added the “fix” is average. Bad design. High drive shaft angles. Made worse by adjustable ride height.
Oh, ok, guess I missed it being a pre-owned. I'm still pretty intrigued by EVs. Hoping to cross paths with my brothers new Polestar sometime this year.

Oh, ok, guess I missed it being a pre-owned. I'm still pretty intrigued by EVs. Hoping to cross paths with my brothers new Polestar sometime this year.
We haven’t taken a road trip with it yet. But for daily driving it been absolutely effortless. If you are a two car family keeping one ICE and getting an EV just makes sense even if there is not much or any public charging network as long as you have home charging and you don’t need huge current 20 amp breaker at 240v is fine for most.