My first twenty four hour burn ever!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Fired the BKULTRA up last night at 4 pm,loaded it up with white ash cut in 2004 bone arse dry. Stove went to 700 in a hurry. Cut her back set at 2 and let it cruise house went to 74. This morning at 4am still 74 came home at 4pm house at 72 pretty windy brisk day,some minute snow flakes blowing around.Stove temp was 275 according to thermometer,cat probe was first notch into active zone.raked all coals to front,loaded stove again she fired up almost immediately,left bypass open less than five minutes. Shut bypass set at three for 15 minutes ,kicked her down to 2 cruising at 600 house 74.I think the King might make it,but winters only beginning,keep ya posted.

ohlongarm said:
Fired the BKULTRA up last night at 4 pm,loaded it up with white ash cut in 2004 bone arse dry. Stove went to 700 in a hurry. Cut her back set at 2 and let it cruise house went to 74. This morning at 4am still 74 came home at 4pm house at 72 pretty windy brisk day,some minute snow flakes blowing around.Stove temp was 275 according to thermometer,cat probe was first notch into active zone.raked all coals to front,loaded stove again she fired up almost immediately,left bypass open less than five minutes. Shut bypass set at three for 15 minutes ,kicked her down to 2 cruising at 600 house 74.I think the King might make it,but winters only beginning,keep ya posted.

As someone that has been striving to increase his burn times, and would be happy to get 10 hour burns, I jokingly offer you this YouTube clip:

:lol:

I've been doing 24 hour burns with my little stove all week, but I have to load it 2 or 3 times per day. %-P

Man that's impressive. Doubt I'll ever get that with my stove but right now I'm pretty satisfied with 8-9 and am looking for 12 when my liner goes in later this month.

Congrats and +1 on the video. :cheese:

Glad you're getting it figured out!

Today was the first day I didn't get a 24 hour burn out of the princess since I had to run it a little hotter today. Tonight I think I'm going to load up a mix of ash/oak to see what it'll do on a load of the good stuff since I've been burning mostly soft maple/poplar with a little ash mixed in to this point.

Lewisthepilgrim said:
How are you guys POSSIBLY burning that long? Tips???

A 4.4 cu ft firebox surrounded by, what seems to be, the best catalytic system in the industry helps.

BrowningBAR said:
A 4.4 cu ft firebox surrounded by, what seems to be, the best catalytic system in the industry helps.

You forgot to add "magic". :) The 2.8 of the princess will go 24-26 hours on low burn "1". It's supposed to be mid 20's here tonight so we'll see how long mine will go on "2".

rdust said:
BrowningBAR said:

You forgot to add "magic". :) The 2.8 of the princess will go 24-26 hours on low burn "1". It's supposed to be mid 20's here tonight so we'll see how long mine will go on "2".
on 2 with no fans on u can still get 12 14 hours. cant remember quite yet havent done it since last year. still doing 24 hour loads here. gotta love the bk.

rdust said:
BrowningBAR said:

You forgot to add "the thermostat".

I got a 24hr burn the other day, without even trying that hard. I should qualify by saying that I mean after 24 hours (a) the thing still had enough coals to simply throw in some fresh wood and have a raging fire within minutes, and (b) those coals were still outgassing enough that the catalytic was still at the edge of the "active" zone. It wasn't putting out much heat though. Of course, like I said, I didn't load it all the way full or anything ...

RustyShackleford said:
rdust said:
BrowningBAR said:

I got a 24hr burn the other day, without even trying that hard. I should qualify by saying that I mean after 24 hours (a) the thing still had enough coals to simply throw in some fresh wood and have a raging fire within minutes, and (b) those coals were still outgassing enough that the catalytic was still at the edge of the "active" zone. It wasn't putting out much heat though. Of course, like I said, I didn't load it all the way full or anything ...
thats the crazy thing i dont even try and stuff it to the max filling every gap.i i just fill her up and then shut it down and 24 hours later plenty of hot coal and even get some more heat out of it for an hour or so while letting it heat back up.

ecocavalier02 said:
RustyShackleford said:
rdust said:
BrowningBAR said:

thats the crazy thing i dont even try and stuff it to the max filling every gap.i i just fill her up and then shut it down and 24 hours later plenty of hot coal and even get some more heat out of it for an hour or so while letting it heat back up.

Okay, now your just rubbing it in with the "not trying" crap! :lol:

If I ran my stove on 2 it would be easily 100* in the house! Even with the air shut all the way down I don't have much trouble getting it to 80* unless it's -20* outside.

NATE379 said:
If I ran my stove on 2 it would be easily 100* in the house! Even with the air shut all the way down I don't have much trouble getting it to 80* unless it's -20* outside.

What happens when you shut your boiler off? %-P

Just yankin your chain Nate.

i dont think his CC&R rules would allow him to shut it off. you know them communist housing devolpments, he probably have to write to get permission to turn anything on or off.

NATE379 said:
I think if my house was up to alaskan standards I'd prob only burn a little over a cord year. Lol your house my be nice and super tight.

BrowningBAR said:
Okay, now your just rubbing it in with the "not trying" crap! :lol:

lol, you can also burn crap and get 24 hour burns without trying.

Sounds like the new soon to be released 1.8 cu ft Blaze King stoves will have the same extraordinary burn times as well. 20+ hour burns in recent tests using larch. Wonder if they could reach that 24 hour mark with a good hardwood like Oak or Locust? I may have to switch over to steel and get rid of one of my rocks. It still baffles me why more stove manufactures don't use thermostats similar to BK.

man,incredible burn times,you would think they would be able to dump a few bucks into the cosmetics of the things

roddy said:
man,incredible burn times,you would think they would be able to dump a few bucks into the cosmetics of the things

My first stove I was "concerned" with looks, this time around I wanted one that heats for hours and hours. I tell people all the time this stove in person is similar to any other steel stove.

NATE379 said:

No way mine will run me out on 2 even with it's only the mid 20's. I only wish our houses were built to the standards used by our friends in the north. I could probably heat this place with a candle most of the time. :)

ecocavalier02 said:
on 2 with no fans on u can still get 12 14 hours. cant remember quite yet havent done it since last year. still doing 24 hour loads here. gotta love the bk.

I got 16 hours last night with mine on 2, it was probably a little warm in here for 2 but I'm trying to get a feel for the stove.

It'd be nice to have a stove that looks really nice (like a Hearthstone ... really) and still get burn times like that. That is impressive. I thought folks were being sarcastic about the burn times in a Blaze King.

Ugly as sin, though.

That's just me.

I'll keep feeding wood in my units. There's craft in keeping my units going well. :D

jonwright said:
It'd be nice to have a stove that looks really nice (like a Hearthstone ... really) and still get burn times like that. That is impressive. I thought folks were being sarcastic about the burn times in a Blaze King.

Ugly as sin, though.

That's just me.

I'll keep feeding wood in my units. There's craft in keeping my units going well. :D

Yep, different strokes for different folks. I've never been a fan of stone stoves or cast stoves. I like something that is all welded together that won't ever need to be resealed. If a steel stove breaks a weld or cracks I simply weld it up. Heck a lot of the stoves now have a steel firebox and have a stone or cast outer shell wrapped around them.

Not much different than the never ending cat verse non cat debates. :)

Should start a poll to find out how many of the Blaze King haters have actually seen one in person. Just a steel stove, in my opinion. Certainly not repulsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.