My Gasification build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read about the build on the other site. Any clue how many hours you have in this beast?

Love the workmanship. As more time goes into the boiler it is slowly becoming a work of art l!

Thanks!

No real idea on the hours, I did start it at the end of June however. Granted, there was a lot of time wasted just sitting around and waiting to buy materials. This past month I have been pretty busy with it, and covered a lot of ground. At the first of August all it was was firebox, secondary and heat exchangers. That amount of work could have been done in 2 weeks fairly easily.

Wow! Amazing craftsmanship. If this ends up working as good as it looks I may be interested in purchasing the next one you make, what will it cost me?

Lol no idea! I am no professional builder by any stretch. It has been a fun project that I sure am excited to see working. I wouldn't be against making another, especially if it wasn't me footing the bill!

I have visions of a wood processor in mind next, sure would be nice to take the labor out of wood cutting.....

Nearing the end!

I'm moving the boiler to pad today. Ran around all day gathering supplies for weekend progress, and spent the late hours tonight finishing loose ends.

Its wired, tested and waiting to be hefted onto its final resting place.

Reactions: Mike Fromme
Yea, I plan on spraying some- mainly on the weld seams and anything cut/sanded ground.

Trying to decide if I need high temp paint or not. I know I dont need it for areas away from the door openings, but unsure if regular paint will be ok.

I used the cheapest rust paint I could find for my storage tanks. Stunk like crazy once I heated the tanks but it sort of baked on nicely. That's likely what I'd try. Goes on in no time flat with a roller just dipping it in a gallon can of it.

What do You figure that thing weighs binfordw ?
Looks like the front tires on the loader tractor are squatting a bit.
I bet after all that work you can't wait to fire it up.

What do You figure that thing weighs binfordw ?
Looks like the front tires on the loader tractor are squatting a bit.
I bet after all that work you can't wait to fire it up.

The tires were low I believe- might be a little deceving. I think I would guess 2500-2800lbs. Be neat to know for sure.

I do know the tractor didn't break a sweat. Not sure of the capacity though.

I am dying to fire it. Hopefully try it in a day or two, should have the sheet metal by Wednesday to be finished- in the nick of time. Highs of 30, lows nearing the teens for thurs/Friday!

Been burning 2 days now!

Everything going pretty well, However I'm not seeing gasification yet. Not sure if my airflow isnt right or what.

When I open the loading door, it flames up more, if I shut that and open the front secondary door, you can see flames rolling though the nozzles, but it seems to stop fairly soon.

I do have alot of air at the secondary nozzles, as I didnt add a way to adjust it yet. Maybe I will cut that air back and get more air into the main airtubes- bigger holes? I have 1/2" holes currently, might be choking the air back too much.

Otherwise, its burning well, and heating the house great. I left the thermostat maxed the first night, and the house was absolutely roasting in the morning. My wife even said it was HOT. Which trust me, that means its really, really hot lol.

Finished framing the doors tonight, and will be picking up my sheetmetal Wed morning. I hope to be finished Wednesday- winter is pretty much hitting us later that day and into thursday.

That is great! Good luck getting it fine tuned!

That is great! Good luck getting it fine tuned!

Thanks!

Had a helpful tip from another forum member, that I likely had too much air. I cut it back, and low and behold, that was my problem!

Night and day difference, seems to really be gassifying well now!

Yea, I plan on spraying some- mainly on the weld seams and anything cut/sanded ground.

Trying to decide if I need high temp paint or not. I know I dont need it for areas away from the door openings, but unsure if regular paint will be ok.
If your just doing the welds, use a zinc rich, cold galvinized spray paint. Wire brush clean and spray it on. Sherain Williams is what we use at the refinery.

Heck Yeah!!! Put a big MADE in the USA sticker on the front of that sucker!

Reactions: TCaldwell
Heck Yeah!!! Put a big MADE in the USA sticker on the front of that sucker!

I could pick a sticker like that up on amazon direct from China!

I planned a neat badge for top access door, but haven't had the time to finish it. I cut a stainless banner shaped plate I was going to engrave on the mill with something neat.

As for the build, I was at it all day finishing the framing, adding insulation, and hanging sheetmetal. I have all the metal done but the front eave, and the trimwork. I drained boiler today to add valves I should have done in the first place, and am currently refilling. I should be firing it again later tonight! Now it has 5 layers of R-13 + a layer of foil bubble, and 3 layers + bubble on the sides. It should retain heat a bit better :D

I loaded it at 10pm last night, temps in low 30's and WINDY, and the house was still nice and toasty at 10am. The boiler had all but burned out however- temp down to 100 ish,- but thats uninsulated still. Not bad IMO.

Reactions: stayfitz
Heeeeyyyyy..... I know why you so clever..... You're related to the guys making the cool tools on that show Home Improvement. Tim Allen talks about your family a lot.

Pretty funny "Made in USA" sticker made in China...... sigh.

==c

Status
Not open for further replies.