My Mt. Vernon and lack of cleaning. ***pics***

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I installed my Mt. Vernon in my house in the second week of Sept. It has not ran 24/7 except for the past couple weeks. I am using the programable t-stat with four different temp changes in a 24 hr period. Other than it running out of pellets twice in that time I have not cleaned the stove except to wipe the glass three times. I will estimate I have burned 15-20 bags of pellets. it has ran without a single issue.

This is a big difference from the Breckwell P-24 we had for three years. Apples and Oranges. There is no compairing style, sound levels, and quality. We had family over for a birthday party this last weekend and the stove was an attention getter. Everyone commented on how much of a difference there is between the Breckwell and the Mt. Vernon. It has changed the look of the family room.

Eric

I'm wondering how the ash pan looked after that many bags?

My guess is over flowing to the right side of the stove. That seems to be what mine does.

smoke show said:
I'm wondering how the ash pan looked after that many bags?

I have not checked but I just might look tonight.

Eric

j-takeman said:
Pictures or it didn't really happen!

I will when I get home. I might just take a pic and leave it, who knows.

Eric

Hmmmm.....this sounds very familiar. Do I see a challenge to my 10-cpm..... 58 bags w/o even opening the door to clean the glass? Eric, I thought we put that challenge to bed for good. :lol:

Those brewskies must be MIGHTY cold by now....may have to make a road trip out your way.

imacman said:
Hmmmm.....this sounds very familiar. Do I see a challenge to my 10-cpm..... 58 bags w/o even opening the door to clean the glass? Eric, I thought we put that challenge to bed for good. :lol:

Those brewskies must be MIGHTY cold by now....may have to make a road trip out your way.

My back room fridge is your fridge.

Eric

This was when I got home last night. I did not clean it and did wipe the glass.

Sorry for the delay I had stuff to do.

Eric

Attachments

• Mt Vernon no cleaning.jpg
    Mt Vernon no cleaning.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 689
  • Mt Vernon no cleaning1.jpg
    Mt Vernon no cleaning1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 680
Man, looking at those pictures I clean my stove way, way to often. LOL I don't have the self cleaning pot though. I've noticed in stove shops that the stoves don't get cleaned very often at all. I know this is at your home, was just saying............

I do not clean the stoves in the store as often as I should. I like to show a dirty stove so people know what I do to a stove and it still runs. I have customers that do daily and weekly cleans and that is good but not needed. If the ash gets obscene looking I will clean it but I rather show a customer how easy a cleaning is. You will not find this at a BIG BOX store.

Eric

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]I do not clean the stoves in the store as often as I should. I like to show a dirty stove so people know what I do to a stove and it still runs. I have customers that do daily and weekly cleans and that is good but not needed. If the ash gets obscene looking I will clean it but I rather show a customer how easy a cleaning is. You will not find this at a BIG BOX store.

Eric
What do you recommend if daily/weekly is not needed?

jmbones said:
kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]I do not clean the stoves in the store as often as I should. I like to show a dirty stove so people know what I do to a stove and it still runs. I have customers that do daily and weekly cleans and that is good but not needed. If the ash gets obscene looking I will clean it but I rather show a customer how easy a cleaning is. You will not find this at a BIG BOX store.

Eric
What do you recommend if daily/weekly is not needed?

Every three weeks/monthly. it all depends but weekly is way to much.
Eric

Still wondering how the ash pan looks after that many bags?

Just did a normal cleaning on my 10-cpm after 12 bags of pellets (about 3 weeks of on and off burning Northern (Curran) pellets). Ash level was about the same as what Eric shows in his pics.....just about even with the bottom edge of the burn pot.

Stove was still running fine before the cleaning.

smoke show said:
Still wondering how the ash pan looks after that many bags?

I broke down and eptied the ash pan and gave it a quick brush this morning. Gray with a hint of black, just the way it should be. The less black in the ash the better.

Eric

how does the ash get to the ash pan. i looks like the ash is almost covering the burn pot. My enviro is hollow around the burn pot and the ash falls down to the ash pan.

so only the ash in the pot dumps and the rest sits outside the burn pot.

thanks. I was interested in that stove until I got the price. 5,000 was a little to steep for me

smoke show said:
Was it overflowing after 15-20 bags?

No not really, close but still ok.

Eric

kykel said:
how does the ash get to the ash pan. i looks like the ash is almost covering the burn pot. My enviro is hollow around the burn pot and the ash falls down to the ash pan.

Self cleaning burn pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.