My Ongoing Fireview Saga

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations Wendell. That sure is a beauty.

Now do yourself a big favor and read through that booklet they sent. Then make sure what you are doing before you start the break-in fires. It is really a 3-step process and if you need help, you have many friends here on hearth.com. Just make sure you do it nice and easy and all will be well.

As soon as I get it hooked up.

I'm having some neighbors come over to help lift it off the pallet. I haven't sen any prohibitions from lifting it from the top, correct?

Wendell, do yourself a favor and remove the top lid and the firebox door. You can also remove the fire brick if you want to make it lighter.

What we did was put two 4 x 4's under the stove between the legs. Two guys on each side and it is easy; just be sure to lift it even as you don't want to tip the thing over. (Actually we had 2 guys on one side and a gorilla on the other. I stayed in front of the stove to make sure it stayed level and did not tip.

My friend and I lifted mine off the pallet by the top with nothing removed. We are both relatively young and strong though.

Hey Steve. Are you insinuating that use older folks aren't still strong?! Watch your step there young fella!

I guess I am. Sorry. Maybe dumber too! The book says do it with 4 people.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Steve. Are you insinuating that use older folks aren't still strong?! Watch your step there young fella!

+ 1

what a nice looking stove -

If I remember correctly, you can remove at least 75 lbs by taking off the top, (maybe loading door) and remove firebricks.

That is a nice looking stove there! You sure didn't waste any time getting it into place :)

I actually called Woodstock to find out about lifting and it is safe to lift the stove by the top edges as there is a main support piece that runs from the top to the bottom in each corner and is secure. So I just had one person on each corner lift and a 5th person pull the pallet out from under the stove - note that you have to lift a bit higher than you think because there is foam on top of that bottom pallet that you can't see. We didn't remove anything from the stove to lighten the load and it went very smooth, guess with four of us it was only like 120lbs a piece and all we had to do was lift it a few inches.

Yeah, I've met jackpine and I am quite sure he could kick anybody's a** he wanted to! :)

When we set mine on the hearth pad for the first time I put a couple pieces of cardboard under the feet so we could move it into the perfect, as determined by Mrs. Flatbedford, position without marring the surface. After it was perfect, and the pipe was lined up, I levered each side up with a 4' 2x4 and she pulled out the cardboard.

Slow1 said:
That is a nice looking stove there! You sure didn't waste any time getting it into place :)

I actually called Woodstock to find out about lifting and it is safe to lift the stove by the top edges as there is a main support piece that runs from the top to the bottom in each corner and is secure. So I just had one person on each corner lift and a 5th person pull the pallet out from under the stove - note that you have to lift a bit higher than you think because there is foam on top of that bottom pallet that you can't see. We didn't remove anything from the stove to lighten the load and it went very smooth, guess with four of us it was only like 120lbs a piece and all we had to do was lift it a few inches.

I REALLY wish you would've posted this 30 minutes ago! We didn't want to take a chance so lifted it from the bottom (3 of us, 1 of which was my wife) and didn't know about the middle pieces so when my son tried pulling the pallet out, he smashed her finger and she had to let go. Fortunately we were able to keep it from tipping but it was a scary moment.

Sorry! I try to stay here and post a continuous stream but I had church to go to, then put the kids in bed and the baby was crying and, and, and.... well, drat - I just let you down :(

Hope that finger heals up quick, glad the stove was saved! Why is it that I get the feeling we're going to see a picture of your first fire later tonight?

Nah, I'm done for the night. I need to go pick up a new trim collar tomorrow and get it painted before I can get the pipe together. I decided to get new pipe from Woodstock and am stunned by the difference. I think it weighs at least twice as much as what was originally installed.

Yikes!!! Hope the finger's OK.

Yeah, there's going to be a bruise tomorrow but I think she'll live. :)

(I'm really glad she doesn't come on here!) :roll:

She's a beaut! They are heavy aren't they. I didn't have to lift mine because the bottom of the pallet was made from rotten wood and were smashed. I just slid it off and tipped it so the wife could remove the rest. I wish it would get cold, I'm really getting the itch to burn again and I can just imagine how all you new stove guys are feeling.

I REALLY wish you would’ve posted this 30 minutes ago! We didn’t want to take a chance so lifted it from the bottom (3 of us, 1 of which was my wife) and didn’t know about the middle pieces so when my son tried pulling the pallet out, he smashed her finger and she had to let go. Fortunately we were able to keep it from tipping but it was a scary moment.

http://www.farmtek.com/wcsstore/EngineeringServices/allbizunits/prodimages/full/fax115a.jpg

I actually put two hooks into the wood shipping base, and put a rope through the hooks. When my neighbor and I lifted up the stove a couple inches, another pulled the shipping wood base straight out. Once this was done, we "walked it in to position" little by little until the stove lined up with the flue.

Mike

One of the Woodstock welders (she gave us the tour) told me that when she and her boyfriend installed their Fireview, she used 2x4’s pushed under the top lip on each side of the stove and joined together somehow (another 2x4, threaded rod, etc. running in front of, and behind the stove between the two longer 2x4’s) just to keep the two “side 2x4’s from slipping. Looked like wheelbarrow handles sticking out of the front and back. This could of course be modified if one had limited space in the back of the stove but plenty on the sides. We took the top, side door and firebricks out and it was a breeze to lift with two people.

Wendell, tell the wife we all wish her well and hope that finger wasn't hurt too bad. May she heal fast.

Tell her, " it don't hurt till the bone shows".

Can't wait to see it running. I know my stove is from the other brand but the same pallet and also 500#. I set it right down next to my raised hearth and just slid it over without having to lift it.

Nice pics of the stove being made.

The pictures show the door on the left.... is that correct or are the pics backwards.

Is that an option?

I recently purchased and installed a firewiew. The left hand loading door would have worked best on my hearth. I mentioned that to Woodstock, but, they did not mention that that was an options. It really is not that big of a concern. Just waiting for cold weather.

Rick D

xraydog said:
Nice pics of the stove being made.

The pictures show the door on the left.... is that correct or are the pics backwards.

Is that an option?

I recently purchased and installed a firewiew. The left hand loading door would have worked best on my hearth. I mentioned that to Woodstock, but, they did not mention that that was an options. It really is not that big of a concern. Just waiting for cold weather.

Rick D

Yes, it's an option, but I guess you have to twist their arm some, they never mentioned it to me either when I wanted a left side door 4 years ago. :mad:

Backwoods Savage said:
Wendell, tell the wife we all wish her well and hope that finger wasn't hurt too bad. May she heal fast.

Thanks, Dennis. She was touched but a little confused why someone named Savage would be wishing her well! :lol:

She said, "Well, he must have a little nice streak in him." Of course I told her what a great guy you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.