My Ongoing Fireview Saga

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
My wife's pissed, Woodstock never told us we could pick out the stones and they told me I couldn't have a left side door. But that was over 4 years ago, maybe they changed policy?

Or maybe they just don't like you? ;-)

If they didn't and now they do, they must have changed their policy.

wendell said:
Todd said:
My wife's pissed, Woodstock never told us we could pick out the stones and they told me I couldn't have a left side door. But that was over 4 years ago, maybe they changed policy?

They should love him. That stove of his has sold several tons of Fireviews here in the last two years. I still remember Backwood Savage's reluctance to buy his.

Well, of course they should love him! Who wouldn't love Todd?

BrotherBart said:
Beautiful stones. You have to be excited. Heck I am excited for you.

I think my 30-NC is made from the steel from melting down my 1989 Dodge Lancer. :coolgrin: Just could not part with that car.

Classic!

Mine 1983 Energy Harvester stove is from my old part trucks and from the gas grills I curbside.

Wendell good luck with your project....looks like nice stuff.

BrotherBart said:
wendell said:
Todd said:

They should love him. That stove of his has sold several tons of Fireviews here in the last two years. I still remember Backwood Savage's reluctance to buy his.

Yeah, just for that they should give me their first new larger stove they have in the works so I can help sell those for them too. If that happens you can call Fedex Freight BB.

Dennis,

Yeah, had these great aqua-sheened veins. Very cool and pick a set heavy with them. If I look really close I can still make out where 1 or 2 are, but it is not even remotely obvious. Still a fantastic stove so far . . . but have really pushed it yet.

Kicking myself for not opting for the the left sided door. Oh well.

From the pic, it looks like the side door also has glass in it? Or is a stone put in that opening in the door? I think it would be cool to be able to see the fire burning from the side, but would likely lose quite a bit of efficiency.

Side door is cast.

Backwoods Savage said:
Side door is cast.

Yes, but I think the Classic has an door option with glass, I saw one on Youtube. Also heard there is no air wash for it, so it blackens up some.

My stove is done! Curing over the weekend and shipping on Monday!!

build8_091809.jpg

build9_091809.jpg

build10_091809.jpg

build11_091809.jpg

build12_091809.jpg

build13_091809.jpg

build14_091809.jpg

build15_091809.jpg

build16_091809.jpg

build17_091809.jpg

build18_091809.jpg

build19_091809.jpg

build20_091809.jpg

Beautiful! The combustor is in a different site than it is on either of our two stoves.

You must be very excited, and rightly so. I can't help but smile thinking of how much you will enjoy your new stove.

Awsome! That is so cool being able to see your stove built. Way to go Woodstock!

Thanks for posting those pictures Wendell. It is beautiful and you can be proud.

Wendell, Thanks and WOW!!!

That's just what I was wanting to see, some inside/internal detail.

I received my receipt in the mail today for my deposit on my fireview, I noticed that my discounted shipping rate ends on Oct. 31 so I guess the wife and I will be getting ours next month...I can't wait.

Thanks again for the pics!

Kenny
John 3:16

These construction photos deserve a spot on the woodstock website right by the combustor cleaning slideshow. Many views and details that are sort of secret until you get the stove delivered since these are mail order stoves. Everything is top notch.

Which way does the bypass door open? Does it roll towards the combustor or up towards the flue?

Looks like a double gasket on the stove top and that all combustion air is dumped in as air wash.

Where does the OAK hook up?

Highbeam said:
These construction photos deserve a spot on the woodstock website right by the combustor cleaning slideshow. Many views and details that are sort of secret until you get the stove delivered since these are mail order stoves. Everything is top notch.

Which way does the bypass door open? Does it roll towards the combustor or up towards the flue?

Looks like a double gasket on the stove top and that all combustion air is dumped in as air wash.

The bypass has hinges on the combustor side and flips opens towards the exhaust.

Yes, all the air is dumped through the air wash, and there is also a plate with some holes that let a little bit of secondary air to the cat right above the air wash.

The OAK hooks up underneath where you see the air control lever and numbers.

Highbeam said:

I don't know if you are asking or saying it became obvious from the pictures - but I'll answer anyway for anyone who may be asking the same. If you look at the picture where the tech has both hands putting the piece in from the top back of the stove you can see that it appears this is the step where the frame that separates the top and bottom parts of the stove is being installed. You can see the white rectangular gasket there where the Cat is going to rest once installed. On the left of this picture, right under the tech's hands is the damper/bypass door. It looks to be in the closed position at the moment. When open, it hinges closer to the front of the stove (right side of the picture) and the back (left in pic) lifts up, thus opening directly to the rear exit flue. Design in my opinion seems to direct the gases pretty direcly out of the stove, very much away from the Cat.

I don't know about the air wash flow - haven't figured that one out yet, but yes there is a double gasket on the stove top and from watching the burn and looking inside the box it does make sens that all the combustion air is coming in from the air wash - there aren't any other tubes/holes etc in the firebox.

As to the OAK hookup - there is a hookup in the back of the stove, but I can't see it on mine since I have the non-OAK heat shield installed.

Thanks guys, I couldn't tell which way the bypass lifted. I love the top lid and cat design where the guts are all easy to get to.

It's interesting how the firebricks were laid out. When my stove arrived, the firebricks dislodged either from shipping or from moving it into the house. I put all four back in the same orientation (north/south) and had a very hard time getting the fourth one in. I had to tap it with a rubber mallet. Now I know why.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Mike

P.S. You may want to get an extra stove-top thermometer shipped with the stove to have on hand in case something happens to it (my 6 year old broke it in the off-season). They are the most accurate that I have seen and you really need accuracy when you engage the catalytic combustor (250 degrees Farenheit).

What a beautiful stove and to have pictures of it being built is fascinating...almost like having a baby with ultrasound pictures and such.

Thanks for sharing...hope there are more pictures of the install and fireup.
jackpine

jackpine said:
What a beautiful stove and to have pictures of it being built is fascinating...almost like having a baby with ultrasound pictures and such.

Thanks for sharing...hope there are more pictures of the install and fireup.
jackpine

Put wood in something that pretty and set fire to it? Are you kidding? :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Put wood in something that pretty and set fire to it? Are you kidding? :lol:

You better not let Bigg Redd hearing you calling it pretty! ;-)

Well, the stove got here this morning so took a some time to go and get it.
In the truck.
IMG_2640.jpg

In the house and starting to take apart the crate.
IMG_2644.jpg

If their stove is built half as well as their crate, I am going to be very pleased.
IMG_2645.jpg

Ta Da!!
IMG_2646.jpg

The flash washes it out but the stone is actually quite blue which doesn't match real well with the slate but hopefully it will mute a bit with time.

They never look as good in pictures. How soon time you light it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.