My stove is talking to me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I'm not crazy, well at least not institutionally, but my stove tells me what to do??!! It's hard to explain but here goes.

Last year I noticed this and waived off to inexperience, but it's happening again. Every time I reload the stove and during a typical burn cycle this happens. When I go to adjust the primary air (with a push rod, for non englander owners) I lightly push it in and then the stove stops me. If I don't listen and push the rod in further the flames will die off and smolder. The rod moves very freely then hits a "false wall" and becomes difficult to move, then as the temps climb I will adjust again and the rod will move very easy and then hits the "false wall" and stops.

Multiple times last year I would push past this wall because "I" thought I knew better and the fire would die off, then in 15min or so I would pull it back out. I do realize that the metals are expanding at different temps causing this but I doubt it was a planned feature from the factory, am I wrong?? Any other Englander owners notice this??

This year I'm going to let the stove do the burning and just be an assistant and see what happens.

Charlie

I would check to see if the track is bent or has any obstructions. Maybe there is a slight bend in the track that you only hit when you push it in a certain way.

Just a thought. I had to lube mine this year.

Perhaps you own a smart stove?!

My stove spoke to me this morning. It said, "Feed me, FEED ME, FEED ME !". So I did. First fire of the season, and boy does it feel good! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.