My Ultima is installed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mranum

Aug 20, 2008
Wisconsin
I think I can say I'm basically done now. Got some floor and wall trim work, and once the tile grout is set I am going to choke in some mortar between the tile & stone for an ember barrier but other than that shes ready to burn as soon as I update my policy.

I had my dealer set it and vent it and we (FIL & I) did the prep and finish work. Personally I thought it came out pretty good.

DSCF2198.jpg

DSCF2205.jpg

DSCF2210.jpg

DSCF2214.jpg

DSCF2218.jpg

DSCF2235.jpg

That is one good looking setup. I love your choice for the stone work.

pen

Thanks for the complement! The stone was made at a local company near me thats under new ownership since the spring. They are coming up with some new products and this just happened to be one of them. In fact I think he told us that we were only the second order for it. Reasonable too, my final cost for the wire mesh, mortar and stone was only about $250.

Here is the website though I'm not sure if the email has been updated, its different than the one I have thats on the owners card.

http://www.wisconsinpridestone.com/index.html

Nice job! I had to show that to my wife.

Now I hope I can live up to that expctation when I install our lil stove.

Looks good. I hope you ran electric to the bottom even if you don't have the blower. You may want it later, it really seems to increase the heat output.

Power is run and a blower is installed, my dealer strongly urged that I put one in. Its a variable speed and they told me not to run it wide open or real slow. Too fast all you do is wear the motor out prematurely and too slow you don't move enough air. I also wired in 2 outlets into the top of the mantle too so as not to deal with the unsightly extension cords hanging off it when SWMBO decorates it up.

...and before someone asks,

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed ;-) :zip:

I don't know about the premature wear but the blowers I've used were all too loud to run full bore when people were sitting in that room. When I leave I usually max it out though.

Out of curiosity, can you describe or post a pic of how you mounted it? I didn't get the official blower, I have a couple of standard ones from before I got the Ultima. I just kind of stick one in the back middle or one on either back corner, but they aren't fastened down and they rattle sometimes. I've never figured out how Security intended me to do it.

Thats exactly how the dealer placed too. Its not mounted, just resting against the back wall I believe. The blower they put in wasn't a Security( factory ) blower, they were on backorder I guess and the installer told me the one they put in was actually a better quality blower. Why? Don't know, and I didn't catch the name of it.

I think all of those shaded-pole tangential squirrel-cage blowers are pretty much the same except for size and RPM's. (For quiet operation go big and slow.) Mine are made by Rotom, cost me something like $80 each.

Very Nice!! I love how the wainscotting brings out the beautiful colors in the stone!

tinkabranc said:
Very Nice!! I love how the wainscotting brings out the beautiful colors in the stone!

The wainscotting is some pine bead board I had left over from a job a long time ago. Figured I may as well make use of it and get it outa my shop. Stained it with Varathane's stain & poly 1 step in traditional cherry.

Fantastic install, reminds me that I need to do some brick work around ours one of these days.

Have you had a chance to get some fire in that bad boy? When you do please share your thoughts with the group.

I have one question, what did you put behind the brick work? That looks like OSB, how thick?

don

northof54th said:
Fantastic install, reminds me that I need to do some brick work around ours one of these days.

Have you had a chance to get some fire in that bad boy? When you do please share your thoughts with the group.

I have one question, what did you put behind the brick work? That looks like OSB, how thick?

don

Hi Don- That is OSB behind the stone its 1/2" thick. They make a special wire mesh that you nail on, and it takes alot of nails, you can't have any movement in it when your done. Some say to then put a scratch coat of mortar on the mesh, but the manufacturer of this stone stone says they don't do that when they install. You just butter the back of the stone(but with alot of mortar) like you would when laying brick and work it into the mesh. Just work from the top down to keep mortar off the stone. Surprisingly it holds quite well, except on some of the heavier pieces we ended up running in some screws beneath the stone to hold it in place then removed them the next day.

I'll post some pics here in this thread when I get it fired up good. As soon as my insurance agent gives me the green light. ;-)

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.