my weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krex1010

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2010
southeast pa
here is the before and after shots of my weekend, the wood is almost all hickory with some walnut mixed in, the stuff was covered in PI, but luckily im not too sensitive to that stuff. it has been sitting like this for over two years. a nieghbor let me split it in his yard, then i just had to move it up to my house. i believe its a little over two cords, ill know for sure once i stack it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 408
krex1010; looks like some nice wood, how was it after being covered for two years?

zap

zapny said:
krex1010; looks like some nice wood, how was it after being covered for two years?

zap

it was covered in pi (poison ivy) so i just had to pull all that off the rounds. the wood had vines that were growing when the tree was standing and a lot of new pi was growing over it after it was stacked. the hickory is in great shape, some of the walnut is a bit punky which doesnt surprise me. after splitting the smaller hickory rounds they look like they will be good for later this winter if i need them, the larger rounds may be ready as well but ill probably save them for next year.

What type of precautions do you take when removing PI from the wood?

zap

zapny said:
What type of precautions do you take when removing PI from the wood?

zap

i am not really allergic to it, i get a little itchy but i dont break out or anything like that. i just get a stick and knock the vines off, if i was allergic i would wear long sleeves and gloves and be sure to wash down with fels napa soap a lot while i was dealing with the stuff.

That's a nice looking pile of wood! I would call that a successful weekend.

Very good pile of wood! I've never had poison ivy so I don't know if I am somewhat immune to it and don't want to find out the hard way!

Ray

when I lived in Virginia i would get poison ivy several times a year, i'm very sensitive to it, clearing trees after hurricane season almost always eneded up with me going to the hospital to get a shot of prednizone, i got it pretty bad in my mouth nose and lungs once when it was being burned in a brush pile even! Glad i have yet to run into any in Idaho!

We sometimes do not do anything with the poison ivy but other times we just shave it off the logs with an axe. It just depends upon how much is on the logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.