My Wood Shed is Having a Bad Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The insurance process is continuing to unfold. The boat was insured by a different company, so we had visits from
two adjusters. There's been some discussion from the adjusters whether whether the boat or building are worth fixing,
particularly the boat since my father-in-law only had it insured for 3k. The building was insured for replacement
coverage, not market value, so we'll see what they decide next week or the week after.

On a positive note, I hired the guy who removed the tree from the building. When he stopped by to get the insurance
company's check, I asked him to look at a couple of medium sized oaks within reach of the house. One died this fall,
and I probably could have handled it myself, but it was really tall, and was a much easier, less risky job after he climbed
and topped it. The other tree was healthy, but big and with a significant lean towards my kids' bedrooms. When he topped
that one, the tree rocked wildly, and he was yipping and hollering like he was riding a bull at the rodeo.

It was worth the fee just to watch him work. He was working alone, so he let me help him out a bit. The dead tree we pulled
sideways and slightly uphill. When he topped it, he tied off a rope that we used to attach to another tree to the side and further
up the hill. He attached another rope to that rope and had me pulling perpendicular from the down side of the hill. The tree dropped
pretty much exactly where he said it would. Dropping two problem trees: $165 plus tip. One tree is laying right next to my
woodpile, and the other tree is only about 50 yards away. I'll buck up the trees tomorrow and take some photos.

northwinds said:
On a positive note, I hired the guy who removed the tree from the building. When he stopped by to get the insurance company's check, I asked him to look at a couple of medium sized oaks within reach of the house. One died this fall,
and I probably could have handled it myself, but it was really tall, and was a much easier, less risky job after he climbed
and topped it. The other tree was healthy, but big and with a significant lean towards my kids' bedrooms. When he topped
that one, the tree rocked wildly, and he was yipping and hollering like he was riding a bull at the rodeo.

It was worth the fee just to watch him work. He was working alone, so he let me help him out a bit. The dead tree we pulled
sideways and slightly uphill. When he topped it, he tied off a rope that we used to attach to another tree to the side and further
up the hill. He attached another rope to that rope and had me pulling perpendicular from the down side of the hill. The tree dropped
pretty much exactly where he said it would. Dropping two problem trees: $165 plus tip. One tree is laying right next to my
woodpile, and the other tree is only about 50 yards away. I'll buck up the trees tomorrow and take some photos.

Proactive is good. Glad to see you're having some fun with that, and your fuel-wood reserve.
Don't you love the smell of a chainsaw on a crisp fall morning? Happy bucking & Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.