1. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Looks great, Webby!

Conceptual question, though... what is the advantage of a wood shed with a floor? My mind would have gone toward grading that area level, putting down 3/4" clean or modified crushed stone, and using pallets for a sacrificial floor. Isn't any floor in a woodshed guaranteed a relatively short (<20 years) life?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Lumber-Jack likes this.
  2. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2008
    Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    I'm with you, I've never seen much advantage of a floor in a woodshed. Floors take time to build, they also cost a lot in materials, and most importantly they take up extra space that could be used for wood storage.
    However, looking at Webby's situation he is building his shed on a sloping ground next to what appears to be a concrete landing, and likely wants the floor of the shed to be level with the concrete landing, so in this case I can see why a constructed floor would make sense.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    webby3650 likes this.
  3. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I lag bolted the rims with 5" x 3/8"lags. Also added an additional 2x8 on the inside of the posts that's bolted under the joists to help carry the load. If that makes sense, you can see it in the pictures.

4. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    That's was my thought exactly. Utilizing Useless space next to an existing slab. And I'm sick of stacking on skids! Also wanted increased airflow through the entire shed.

5. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Im wondering if this type of structure would increase your property taxes, and by how much.

6. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I'm sure it will, but it's no real concern. It'll be worth it.

7. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I just scored a bunch of wood from Craigslist to fill the shed! $90 a cord and it's only a few miles away from my house! Oak, hickory, cherry, and sugar maple. I bought it all!

Attached Files:

8. Shane Collins

Shane Collins
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2014
    Loc:
    Westford, VT
    $90 a cord, looks seasoned too? Send some my way please!! Nice score, how many cords did you get?

9. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Looks like it'll be about 4 cords. It was actually cheaper than that. I paid him $300 for all of it.

Lakeside likes this.
  10. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    How on earth could a wood shed increase property taxes?

11. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Around here if it has a foundation it hits the tax rolls. Heck my 28 year old falling down pole barn, with no foundation, is on my tax bill every year as an "out building".

Osagebndr, Mag Craft and webby3650 like this.
  12. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    My township has a wonderful level of disinterest. I put a second floor in my carriage barn, essentially expanding it from 900 to 1500 sq.ft. I went to the township with my PE-stamped engineering plans, before starting the project, to get a permit. The code enforcement officer told me he wasn't going to bother writing me a permit, if no one was going to live in the structure.

13. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    That's right! If it's over 72 square feet you must obtain a building permit here. So they can tax you on it. Even if it's a portable storage shed!
    And no, I did not get a permit!

14. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Still the fact is, really nice wood shed webby3650. Envious. ;sick

Osagebndr likes this.
  15. DougA

DougA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 13, 2012
    Loc:
    S. ON
    Our county has a limit of 100 sq ft. before you need a building permit and ..ya guessed it .. taxes. I needed something a lot bigger, so I built 3 sheds that are each 100 sq ft and they are OK as long as they each have their own support, separate roof and do not touch each other. Since wood sheds are made to be airy, that was not a big problem.

I guess you won't be able to rent it out to any of us for a B&B now that it's full of wood.:(

16. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I built my woodshed off the ground with a floor ... wanted to get it up a bit since it is in an area that gets pretty wet in the spring. I suppose I could have hauled in gravel and crushed rock as well though.

17. Osagebndr

Osagebndr
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2014
    Loc:
    Central Indiana
    Nice wood score!

webby3650 likes this.
  18. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I got the roof all done! Just waiting on the sawmill to get the siding cut.

Attached Files:

Ashful and Osagebndr like this.
  19. Osagebndr

Osagebndr
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2014
    Loc:
    Central Indiana
    Nice webby looking good

webby3650 likes this.
  20. GibsonJ45

GibsonJ45
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 19, 2014
    Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    I put a floor on my shed because the space is on a slope and we get big snow. Plus it looks good.

Attached Files:

Lakeside and webby3650 like this.
  21. Ericl1982

Ericl1982
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 4, 2014
    Loc:
    Minnesota
    Great start. Looks like a fun project.

22. Oldman47

Oldman47
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2015
    Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Looking good Webby. Are you going to use some diagonal bracing?

23. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I me might. I've considered building a dividing wall in the middle, it would act as bracing as well. It barely moves though.

24. beardley

beardley
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Feb 5, 2009
    Loc:
    Cato, NY
    The siding will add more stiffness. Putting them on at 45deg even more so. I sheathed my house with boards instead of plywood and did it all at 45 for the added shear strength. Looks great!

25. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Grew up in a house that was half granite, and half 1x6 T&G sheathing installed at 45deg, under 1x12 mahogany siding. Felt like a bomb shelter in storms, compared to other framed houses.