Need a better lighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you explain the physics behind that? I'd think that a perfect (albeit unrealistic) scenario would have the stove pipe feeding directly up the chimney, with no horizontal travel, right? I can understand how replacing existing horizontal pipes with 45-degree angled pipes would improve the situation, but I don't see how moving it away from the wall would help. Doesn't that increase the horizontal travel?

Two 45's are more "gentle" on the draft, think about driving in a car, taking a 45 degree turn is a lot less excessive than doing a 90 degree turn.

So you said the chimney is lined? That means the cleanout shown in pic #2 is nonfunctional at this point?
Here are a couple of photos.
Yes, by all means, seal up the clean-out door, both between the frame and masonry, and then seal the door to the frame. It isn't robbing draft per se since you have a liner all the way up, but sealing will keep the chimney warmer. You can also stuff some Roxul mineral insulation up top between the liner and the masonry to retain more heat. That stack doesn't look like 15' to me either...more like 12'. With two 90s in the path, you have an effective stack height of maybe 8', too short for the Castine. Get a cheap piece of 3' venting or connector pipe and temporarily add it to the top of the stack, and see if things improve. I would think that adding 3 or 4' of liner, and replacing the 90s with 45s, will get you much closer to the draft you need with this stove. If you read the "Chimney Requirements" section of your manual you will see that they want at least 15'.

Last edited:
That kinda sounds like a little overkill. I just need to light some newspaper.
why light the newspaper when you can light the kindling... or the log?

you have an effective stack height of maybe 8', too short for the Castine. Get a cheap piece of 3' venting or connector pipe and temporarily add it to the top of the stack, and see if things improve. I would think that adding 3 or 4' of liner, and replacing the 90s with 45s, will get you much closer to the draft you need with this stove. If you read the "Chimney Requirements" section of your manual you will see that they want at least 15'.
If this is truly the case and the only solution, I'll probably seal off the room for the winter, sell the Castine next year and get a 602 back in here.

If this is truly the case and the only solution, I'll probably seal off the room for the winter, sell the Castine next year and get a 602 back in here.

I counted 50 bricks from top of stove to opening of the stack. 2.25 inches per brick with .25 inches of mortar give you around 10.5 feet of flue from top of stove to chimney. Add in 2- 90 degree elbows and you are like Woody Stover said -- too short. I'd be surprised you get good draft with ANY stove.

You might find some cheap, or easy or both solutions here:

http://www.extendaflue.com/

https://www.northlineexpress.com/draft-inducers.html

They want 15' for the 602 as well, but if you already know it works...
How long does it burn, though? If it was me, I might look for a cheaper plate-steel stove with a longer burn time and a big window. You will need a real easy-breathing stove, though, with an effective stack height of 8'... :oops:
What did you say is the sq. footage you are wanting to heat?

Thanks everyone for your help. I made a mistake and will have to live with it.
no you had a bad contractor who installed a stove in a chimney that was to short. Is your liner even insulated?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Unsubscribing what?

Thanks everyone for your help. I made a mistake and will have to live with it.
Lotta nice stoves out there in that price range. I would do a little research and see what your options may be. But it sounds like you may be happy just settling for another 602, if you don't want to know what you are missing. ;) Good luck, whatever you decide to do. :)

Unsubscribing what?
Unsubscribing to any more thought. ;lol Now, if I had sunk that much money into a new stove, I would see if I could make it work without too much more cash outlay. He may well take a thousand-dollar beating, bailing out on the Castine. <>

Reactions: bholler
Is your liner even insulated?
I'd say no, judging by the size of the masonry. Go ahead and say it..."violation of clearance to combustibles." ==c

So you said the chimney is lined? That means the cleanout shown in pic #2 is nonfunctional at this point?
why do you say that we extend the liner down to the cleanout all the time.

Reactions: Highbeam
I'd say no, judging by the size of the masonry.
What makes you say that it is clearly one brick wide so about 8" plenty of room for an insulated liner. And I am thinking more about the performance aspect of it at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.