Need advice on new pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I apologize for being rude earlier.There are lots of PP130's out there running,with very few problems.Just a basic stove.The biggest issue,for a while,is the Dial Control goes bad,and stove does strange things.However,Pelpro would generally send one out free,quickly.Seems like they had a bad production run of the controls.

Reactions: kappel15
I just like fact better than opinion.

Sorry if we take each others comments in the wrong frame
of mind and I apologize for my negative comments . I though
you were looking for a dependable stove or at least peoples perspective
on different stoves . What kind of facts do you want i mean if that's what you want
then just compare the stats on the stoves you are interested in . . I figured you
wanted opinions on different stoves . I seem to have been wrong . Then
again opinions are like Ass Holes everyone has one

on different stoves . What kind of facts do you want i mean if that's what you want
then just compare the stats on the stoves you are interested in . . I figured you

I want opinions that are based on facts, not just the specs,,, but have anyone used the particular stoves I asked about,,, It doesn’t help to get an opinion on Fords, from a Chevy man,,,,you know what I mean?

Yes, I have read the specs, and the owners manuals of all the brands,,,,, looked at what reviews I can find, However, many are very biased, in that the person offereing the opinion has had experience with only one particular brand,,,

If a person is only familiar with the one brand of stove they own,, what value is there to their opinion on a brand they’ve never seen, used, or touched?
Am I making sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: kappel15
From reading your first post it's very possible that it mislead members. Maybe if you would have worded it differently you would have received different answers.

From reading your first post it's very possible that it mislead members. Maybe if you would have worded it differently you would have received different answers.

Thank you for y our suggestion,,,, I went back and reread my OP,,,, not sure how to make it any plainer....I have a Quad, an looking at something newer...listed the few I’ve looked at.

What should I have said differently.......?????
I am really trying to get help here.,,,,,Obviously, I am persistent!

Reactions: kappel15 and Mt Bob
Thank you for y our suggestion,,,, I went back and reread my OP,,,, not sure how to make it any plainer....I have a Quad, an looking at something newer...listed the few I’ve looked at.

What should I have said differently.......?????
I am really trying to get help here.,,,,,Obviously, I am persistent!
You did not do anything wrong,some of us jumped the gun,pushing you towards expensive,without thinking that is not that is what is needed,for a workshop.

I'm currently using an Englander 55-TRPIP and am in my 5th year with it and it does work I wouldn't buy another as I felt it was overpriced and poorly built. When I do sell it on it would be a good stove for a shop but I wouldn't recommend it for someones living room.

If you are wanting to just heat a shop and not overspend (Pellet stoves are a niche thing and you will pay good $$$ for anything new) either pick something up used if you are handy and don't mind doing some work or perhaps look at the Castle Serenity, I have heard many good things about them on here and Tractor Supply has had deals like 899 out the door.

As an addendum to this post you need to bare in mind parts and their availability, with my stove there are aftermarket clones available (Amazon/E-Bay etc) much cheaper then the manufacturers and seem to be just as good.

Reactions: KenofShelby
Looks like I have all summer to decide what to buy. IN addition to the PelPro PP130, the King Deluxe KP130, the Pleasant Hearth,,,Also the Vogelzang VG5790, The Ennglander 25 PDVC.. I eliminated the Serenity because it is sheet metal and has only a 40 pound hopper...
I realize there are higher priced options, like the Harman, and the Quadrafire.. they probably are way more stove than I need.. It is only for my workshop....My old Quadrafire can keep it at 50 degrees, over nite, and it will warm it up to 70 degrees when I need it....but this old stove is so temperamental,,,I can keep nursing it along, but wouild like one that has a larger hopper and that has adjustable burn rate.

The King Deluxe has many nice features, large hopper, adjustable flame and a remote control which really is a nice touch.. Has 245 ‘5’ ratings so it’s not bad.

Another thing I want to stay away from is the need for a vertical stack outside for the exhaust. Just don’t like the looks of that.

Reactions: Mt Bob
….My top three choices.....so far...are
PelPro PP130
King Deluxe Kp130
Pleasant hearth 50,000 BTU
Want one that has a large hopper so that eliminates the Serenity, Looked at Englander, not sure about that one,,,
Sure would appreciate your wisdom.
Thank you.

What should I have said differently.......?????...….

.....My top three choices so far are....
You don't really say my only three choices are.....

….Sure would appreciate your wisdom...
Again, you are asking people for wisdom one must assume based on their experiences?

….not sure how to make it any plainer....
You could have said you want peoples wisdom based on the three stoves you have listed since they are the only ones you are interested in.

When narrowing things down to 3 types of stoves, you may be limiting your options, there are many good stoves on the market, you don't mention if you are only looking at new, you just mention "Figure its time to replace it", does that mean you are open to used and new? To think all Harman owners are breathing different air, "I don't breath that stratified air" kind of sets a negative tone for some, me; I put my pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. I believe you are leaving out some good stove choices by limiting yourself to 3 models, but that's your choice, I only have experience with the Harman P61 that's been running strong for 20 years now, (I did have to replace the Feeder weldment and the auger after year 19, but that is on me for burning it low for so may years), and the Englander 25PDVC trouble free for the first 13 years, then had to replace the combustion fan this year, so you probably don't want or need my wisdom! But if you care to listen, both of these stoves can be had on the cheap if buying used, they are simple stoves to maintain (especially the P61, which is a heat monster by the way), and parts are readily available if needed. The hopper on the 25 is a bit small for what you are looking for but other than that, both are mostly trouble free with proper cleanings. I can also say that last year I purchased a second 25PDVC locally for $200 with the pipe included, and earlier this year I found a 2nd P61 (this time a P61A!) that I purchased for $1000, both of which are running strong in my outbuildings, so if you don't limit yourself to what you think you must have, sometimes it pays to listen to someone else's wisdom.

Reactions: kappel15 and johneh
.....My top three choices so far are....
You don't really say my only three choices are.....

….Sure would appreciate your wisdom...
Again, you are asking people for wisdom one must assume based on their experiences?

….not sure how to make it any plainer....
You could have said you want peoples wisdom based on the three stoves you have listed since they are the only ones you are interested in.

When narrowing things down to 3 types of stoves, you may be limiting your options, there are many good stoves on the market, you don't mention if you are only looking at new, you just mention "Figure its time to replace it", does that mean you are open to used and new? To think all Harman owners are breathing different air, "I don't breath that stratified air" kind of sets a negative tone for some, me; I put my pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. I believe you are leaving out some good stove choices by limiting yourself to 3 models, but that's your choice, I only have experience with the Harman P61 that's been running strong for 20 years now, (I did have to replace the Feeder weldment and the auger after year 19, but that is on me for burning it low for so may years), and the Englander 25PDVC trouble free for the first 13 years, then had to replace the combustion fan this year, so you probably don't want or need my wisdom! But if you care to listen, both of these stoves can be had on the cheap if buying used, they are simple stoves to maintain (especially the P61, which is a heat monster by the way), and parts are readily available if needed. The hopper on the 25 is a bit small for what you are looking for but other than that, both are mostly trouble free with proper cleanings. I can also say that last year I purchased a second 25PDVC locally for $200 with the pipe included, and earlier this year I found a 2nd P61 (this time a P61A!) that I purchased for $1000, both of which are running strong in my outbuildings, so if you don't limit yourself to what you think you must have, sometimes it pays to listen to someone else's wisdom.

thanks again,,,, I guess things did get a bit confused. However, it is a mute point now, because I have my old Quadrafire running just fine, so will keep on keepin’ on with it...

We have one Pelpro Flat top pellet stove that has been in use since 2005 originally an $800 stove, 14 years and has only had the combustion fan replaced once. Still on the original igniter. Used every season as a main source of heat in WI. Have another one that has a manufacture date of 2007, bought new through menards in 2014, and it has run flawlessly for 5 years. These pelpros were manufactured in Canada I believe, and are much different than the new ones that are made in China, but I just got rid of a USSC King to buy a new Pelpro. We will see how it goes.

why do these old threads keep getting bumped?