Need Help chosing OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goldendog

Sep 21, 2009
PA
I am stuck between the Portage & Main ML36 and the Sequoyah Model E3300 Gasification...... The dealer that sells sells Sequoyah's is a full time heating and cooling business that has been around for over 30 years... The dealer that sells the Portage & Main furnaces just does it part time at his farm house.... One of the reason I am going with one of these 2 is because the local dealers have them setting on there lots, I am going with cash in my pocket and can have it immediately...No ordering and waiting on it to come in..... I know the Sequoyah dealer want to move them pretty bad, he has about 10 furnaces that are leftovers from the big rush from last winter when everyone wanted them.... They are not moving them very well around here right now.. Give me some opinions on these two to help me make up my mind... Thanks

Have you checked out the P&M Optimizer? I just got a call from the distributor on Tuesday evening. The Optimizer has just passed Phase two emmissions testing and by Friday was supposed to have passed the year round burning certification as well.
it is hard to compare a non gasser ML36 against a gasser E3300. two totally different animals. $7900 vs $10,000 I have installed a whole bunch of P&M's, great furnaces, vs so, so feedback on the Sequoyah's gassification units.

Just wondering if there is a reason they are not moving, especially when this is such a long term investment.

Does it have to be an OWB?

I looked in depth last year at the OWB EPA certified gassers. It boiled down to E classic, Greenwood Aspen 175, or the Sequoya E3300. I chose the Sequoya E3300 due to it's simple design. I'm very happy with my choice. I will say that I didn't have as many OWB's too choose from as the current list this season. P&M looks like a well built unit that has what my Sequoya doesn't...bypass for the smoke when loading. I've replaced a few cracked firebricks (my fault due to loading) and the rear selenoid for the fan due to me burning some fresh cut wood during our ice storm and the creosote built up and stuck the flapper closed. Rick over at Sequoya was always available for questions and sent out the part in 2 days. Very simple fix...not much to go wrong with his design.

The Sequoyah's non-bypass system is what I keep hearing the most about. I am told you better wear old cloths while loading them due to the tremendous amount of smoke emitted out of the loading door. The P&M on the other hand has the bypass, open the bypass and shut down the fan, load with no problem.

Furnace Output (BTU/ Hour) 200,000
Maximum Heating Ares (sq. ft.) 6,000 to 8,000
Total Width 47”
Total Depth 66”
Total Height 81”
Shipping Weight approx. 2000 lbs.
Chimney Size 6”
Door Size W X H 18” x 20”
Firebox Volume W X H X L 32” x 26” x 28”
Water Capacity (Imperial) Approx.140 gals
Heat Transfer Flue Size 1.5”
Maximum Log Length 26”
Maximum Log Diameter 3” to 4”
Limited Warranty 25 years

$10000.00

"The Sequoyah’s non-bypass system is what I keep hearing the most about. I am told you better wear old cloths while loading them due to the tremendous amount of smoke emitted out of the loading door. The P&M on the other hand has the bypass, open the bypass and shut down the fan, load with no problem. "

I wear a junk coat over my "go to work" clothes in the am and then proceed to work. Never had a complaint that I smell like a chimney. It's (loading) not that bad, just wish they put a simple bypass in.

Status
Not open for further replies.