Need Help Identifying These South Texas Tree Stumps Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlaytonJ12

Oct 31, 2022
We live in San Antonio TX and recently had the tree in our backyard cut down and was wanting to sell the stumps but would like to know what we have here. I'm new so I hope I'm following the guidelines
Please let me know if you have any suggestions! God Bless!

IMG_20221031_013609.jpg IMG_20221031_013604.jpg IMG_20221031_013842.jpg IMG_20221031_013508.jpg IMG_20221031_013856.jpg

You are right, mesquite is dark. However, I have driven through San Antonio over 600 times in the big rig, and on down to Laredo, and the only native trees around there are mesquite. There in the desert south of San Antonio, you can see mesquite patches 2 miles long and 1 mile wide, nothing but 20 foot tall mesquite bushes. Maybe some pioneer brought in some ash seedlings in 1843.

You are right, mesquite is dark. However, I have driven through San Antonio over 600 times in the big rig, and on down to Laredo, and the only native trees around there are mesquite. There in the desert south of San Antonio, you can see mesquite patches 2 miles long and 1 mile wide, nothing but 20 foot tall mesquite bushes. Maybe some pioneer brought in some ash seedlings in 1843.
Yep, I've sawed Mesquite firewood in Texas. But San Antonio is in hill country and there's also bur oak, live oak, hackberry, juniper and probably several others.

But this is in their back yard in San Antonio so native species aren't the only possibility. If it's a native it's probably live oak.

Last edited:
How much do stumps sell for nowadays? I always thought you paid someone to come remove them, not the other way around :)

That’s only because we live in an area with lots of stumps! If you lived in an area without any stumps, they’d go for big bucks!

Mesquite is one of the best wood to use on the grill, while cooking steaks or ribs. Doesn't grow within 1,000 miles of here.
When I was down there in the big rig, there was a rest area 60 miles north of the Rio Grande on I-35, I would pull in there. The "woods" there is nothing but 20, 25 foot high mesquite bushes. I had a little hand saw and would go into the woods, and saw off a 5 inch branch from a mesquite bush, five feet long. I took it back to Carolina and it lasted me a year for smoking wood on the grill.

I was at a Loves truck stop, down south of San Antonio, I saw a guy in the lot next door, he had a man crew and a trailer, they were sawing up about a 2,000 pound load of mesquite for him to use in his chiminea. I told him that back in North Carolina, we buy a 3 pound bag of mesquite in the grocery store for $6.00
Guy looked at me like I was insane. He didn't believe my story.

Ok this is interesting. I have a question though. If the OP in this thread has some valuable mesquite stumps, why didn’t he just sell the rest of the tree that he had cut down?

Mesquite is one of the best wood to use on the grill, while cooking steaks or ribs. Doesn't grow within 1,000 miles of here.
When I was down there in the big rig, there was a rest area 60 miles north of the Rio Grande on I-35, I would pull in there. The "woods" there is nothing but 20, 25 foot high mesquite bushes. I had a little hand saw and would go into the woods, and saw off a 5 inch branch from a mesquite bush, five feet long. I took it back to Carolina and it lasted me a year for smoking wood on the grill.

I was at a Loves truck stop, down south of San Antonio, I saw a guy in the lot next door, he had a man crew and a trailer, they were sawing up about a 2,000 pound load of mesquite for him to use in his chiminea. I told him that back in North Carolina, we buy a 3 pound bag of mesquite in the grocery store for $6.00
Guy looked at me like I was insane. He didn't believe my story.
We usually bring back a trailer load from the ranch we hog hunt on.

Mesquite is not valuable in Texas. It has to be turned into chips and transported to North Carolina to become valuable. I have seen them clearing acreage to make a cow pasture, using bulldozers, forty miles south of San Antonio, I have seen a pile of mesquite 80 feet wide and 200 long, and piled 30 feet high, set on fire and burned in the middle of the field. Trash in Texas.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Now if we only could figure out that teleportation thing...

Why would anyone buy a stump? If someone is industrious enough to cut up and use a stump, it seems they would be industrious enough to find some free wood like countless people do. But I'm open. There are a bazillion mesquite trees in south Texas. I would think that is live oak. If not THE heaviest, most dense wood, very close to it. I guess maybe a woodworker could possibly buy a stump, beats me. Live oak stumps would certainly be less common than mesquite, seems to me.

Mesquite makes good coasters. I made 5 or 6 of them from the branches I brought back from south Texas. They look better than they appear in this photo, the wood is just beautiful.

IMG_5362.JPG

Last edited:
I've done the same (coasters) with 4" dia eastern red cedar. Nice and pink, with a white rim.
And any time you sand them again, they smell nice too - I presume mesquite is similar, though I've never had the pleasure to smell this.

That first stump looks like live oak. I used to live down there (Seguin). Great wood with very high btu's.