Need help identifying wood stove manufacturer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet100

Mar 1, 2016
Michigan
We bought this stove to install in our house, but it does not have a UL tag on it. We need to know manufacturer to get the specs to install it or we're screwed. Can anyone help please?? I attached a photo. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 194
Looks like a basic Sears or Montgomery Ward Franklin fireplace stove. Look for a UL tag on the back of the fireplace.

Looks like a basic Sears or Montgomery Ward Franklin fireplace stove. Look for a UL tag on the back of the fireplace.
Thanks! I did find a very similar one from Franklin, but it didn't have the diamond designs on the doors. Do you think it is still the same? There is no tag on it at all. Do you have any idea what year it might be?

Tons of them sold in the seventies during the energy crisis. Including to me. Before codes for wood stoves and thankfully I didn't burn down that new home with it. Charred framing members in the ceiling gave me pause to reflect when I moved.

US Stove company made that bastardized adaptation of the original Franklin design and sold a ton of them through Montgomery Ward and Sears. Bring another one near my house and it goes in the scarp trailer.

I usually don't bad mouth any stove on this site, but I damn sure do that one. Run from it.

Other than that, I have no opinion.

Thanks! I did find a very similar one from Franklin, but it didn't have the diamond designs on the doors. Do you think it is still the same? There is no tag on it at all. Do you have any idea what year it might be?
Tons of them sold in the seventies during the energy crisis. Including to me. Before codes for wood stoves and thankfully I didn't burn down that new home with it. Charred framing members in the ceiling gave me pause to reflect when I moved.

US Stove company made that bastardized adaptation of the original Franklin design and sold a ton of them through Montgomery Ward and Sears. Bring another one near my house and it goes in the scarp trailer.

I usually don't bad mouth any stove on this site, but I damn sure do that one. Run from it.

Other than that, I have no opinion.
Oh no! Not what we wanted to hear! We returned a brand new smaller stove to buy this one because it was bigger. Hope we are not out the money!

My parents had one in our dining too and i remember the carpet had ember burns scattered on it because the often burned it with the doors open and a screen in front of it. That green hedge would always spray some embers b past it though
I dont know how that house didnt burn down. Dad had a woodburner attached to the furnace and burned primarily green hedge in it. The clay lined chimney never did get swept. Ever.

Those and the boxwood stoves are about the only ones I will bad mouth. There are some others I don't like much but they have their merits. Those 2 not much as far as merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.