need help! what is my antique stove worth.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stove man

Dec 9, 2007
upstate ny
I have a very good friend in the Adirondacks who has a old parlor stove. We are trying to value it for display in his Art Gallery in Lake Placid. The stove is very ornate. On the back is a name DAVY,INGRAM + PHILLIPS. TROY NY . JT DAVY'S PATENT 1856. I have a email from him with pics. and can forward this to anyone who may be able to help.

Posting the pic here will bring many more responses. "Post Reply" "Attachments" - Browse for the location of pic.

i have to reduce the size of the pics and am having some difficulty. i will try. i can forward the email with the pics for now if you are interested in helping.
marty

For Marty- stoveman

Attachments

• antstove500.jpg
    antstove500.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 518
  • antstove500a.jpg
    antstove500a.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 479
For Marty - stove man

Attachments

• antstove500b.jpg
    antstove500b.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 404
They just don't make 'em like they used to... What a beautiful stove.

You may want to contact an antique appraisal professional...I visited a guy locally who sells nothign but refurbished antique parlor stoves. Virtually everything he had in his showroom (aka "The Barn) was near or over $2000, but it was a rare item that was as plain as the one you've posted here. Thats not a dig by the way, most of what he was selling was just covered in ornately styled and carved nickel trim. I'm seeing on ebay nickel trimmed parlor stoves that are running around $1000 or so with unmet reserves and ornate cast iron only stoves like yours running in the $200-500 range...reserves met and unmet. So basically the prices are all over the place and if you really want a reasonably accurate valuation you should get it appraised.

For reference I've pasted a photo of the type of stove the local guy was selling at the time in probably the $3000+ range. I was on board with it until he started claiming that I would have no trouble getting it installed and that it was just as clean and efficient as any modern stove, but would put out twice the heat.

Gorgeous stoves though.

Attachments

• d202_1.jpg
    d202_1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 387
thanks for the info. i know its like a feather in the windstorm for pricing. i have seed some of the one you show. i also saw some like the one my friend has in barnstable cape cod. the guy converts them to gas and they go anywhere from 900 to 3500. who knows. i am just trying to help out a good friend with this. my gut feeling is the thing is worth what some one is willing to offer that really wants it.
marty

stove man said:
i have to reduce the size of the pics and am having some difficulty. i will try. i can forward the email with the pics for now if you are interested in helping.
marty
thanks for the great pic display
marty

Status
Not open for further replies.