Need help with my pellet stove! It keeps turning off after about 5 or minutes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theduck

Oct 24, 2011
windham,nh
Hello...I need help with my pellet stove. I have a whitfield profile 20 freestanding stove. The stove will turn on and feed the pellets and it starts up normally but after about 5mins or so the combustion fan turns off but the augur is still going and the stove fills up with smoke and it blows up. I have replaced the hig limit disc, cleaned out the photo eye and the whole stove. Any suggestions? Thank you!

theduck said:
Hello...I need help with my pellet stove. I have a whitfield profile 20 freestanding stove. The stove will turn on and feed the pellets and it starts up normally but after about 5mins or so the combustion fan turns off but the augur is still going and the stove fills up with smoke and it blows up. I have replaced the hig limit disc, cleaned out the photo eye and the whole stove. Any suggestions? Thank you!

By any chance is your vacuum switch bypassed?

If the combustion fan dies the vacuum should also die and that will stop the auger unless the vacuum switch has been jumpered.

When was the last time you cleaned that stove and how did you clean it.

Hi

Sorry don't know what that is. I have not jumped any wires or anything. The only wire that was cut was the photoeye wire.

I cleaned it out a couple of days ago with a regular vacuum.

If the photo eye wire is cut the stove doesn't know it is lit and after a certain period of time shuts down.

I might have tought that but it was cut and resaurded together but the stove was still doing the same thing with it turning off the photo eye cord was cut. Do u think it would have to do with the panel board or something with the thermostat? The thermostat is not atteched on just the wiring is connected together.

theduck said:
I might have tought that but it was cut and resaurded together but the stove was still doing the same thing with it turning off the photo eye cord was cut. Do u think it would have to do with the panel board or something with the thermostat? The thermostat is not atteched on just the wiring is connected together.

Is the lens that the photo eye sits behind (and/or the slot) clean and is the photo eye in its proper position?

If the thermostat wire ends are bare and twisted together the stove should fire up when you press start.

Now for the really big questions.

How old is this stove and when was the last time it was cleaned from air intake to and including the vent termination?

Since I'm on a cleaning rampage today how long has it been since the convection blower and the room air side of the heat exchanger been cleaned and if the blower has lubrication ports, the convection blower motor been lubricated?

The photo eye sits on top of the glass. The stove is about 6yrs old. Everything was taken apart and cleaned. It is sitting in the garage. It was taken out of the apartment. When I unhooked the wire to the high limit swith to the exhaust blower the fan stayed on but the auger did not work. But when i reattached it to the high limit swith the auger started up and the the exauhst fan turned off again after 5 mins. That high limit switch is new which was replaced a couple of days ago. Going crazy trying to get it to work.

I'll download a copy of the manual for that stove and we can make sure you have all of the wiring as it should be.

We are going to start with the photo eye, the only thing that is should be connected to is the two leads that it was plugged into and when it is back in its place none of its wires can be anywhere in front of the lens, while verifying that the slot it has to look through needs to be clean and the filter glass as well.

(BTW the shut down at 5 minutes and a few seconds is because the photo eye is not indicating there is a fire in the fire pot. The photo eye isn't connected or it is damaged or it isn't seeing the fire because its vision is blocked).

I know of one person who has changed POF on your stove's cousin stove to use a thermodisc instead of the photo eye.

For testing purposes only we will emulate this, however I want to be sure the stove's safeties are still in the loop.

You need to do all checking with the stoves power off and the stove unplugged.

Do you have a multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.