Need learning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbteixe

Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2009
Eastern MA
This is my first year with pellet stove. I've been using an older Whitfield prodigy 2 pellet stove for a month and 1/2. My flame is high all the time, I also run it on high. This stove has a very small ash bin so I'm cleaning it out every couple of days. Lately it has been shutting down on me quite often. I don't think this is normal. When this happens I clean it out, it cools down and works fine again. I recently thought of checking my exhaust pipe. I opened the clean-out T and found it loaded with ash. What could be causing that amount of ash in the flue in such a short period of time that I've been using the stove. The flue installation is only 1 1/2 months old also, all new pipe. Is the flame supposed to be high?
I also think that I need to replace the exhaust / booster motor. Motor is working fine but makes a rattling (annoying) noise. After looking at it I found that the exhaust impeller spins freely from the collar. Does any one know how to remove the motor on this older stove?

Do a search here on the forum for the leaf blower trick if you haven't yet seen it. It is a great way to help give your stove a thourough cleaning, which should help you out some. You should probably do a complete cleaning job on your stove after burning every ton or so of pellets. The amount of ash could be quite normal, depending on your setup

A clean stove is a hot and happy stove.

First year and your clogged that bad... How much have your burned so far? How is the exhaust piping routed outside? What color is the ash?

The ash is black. I'm coming up on just over 1 ton burned. I'm burning Dragon Mountain. Piping is vertical about 6 feet 90's horizontal through the sill about 2 feet and 90's vertical outdoors about 3 feet to a 90 and end cap. I've got a lot to learn so give to me.

I'm by no means an expert; everything I know is from this forum or reading up on the subject. I think the fact that you have two 90's in the run might be exacerbating the situation. I think the leaf blower trick and keeping an often and consistent cleaning regime might be your best option. If I recall correctly, Dragon Mountains have gotten some good praises on this forum--personally, I've never tried them... my area is fairly limited in pellet brands (or I just don't know where to look).

Certainly no expert here I hope the big guys chime in. Sounds like you exhaust piping is to restrictive unless your using 4" piping. I calculate you have the "equivalent" of 21.5 ' of piping with all those 90 elbows and my Quad Castile owners manual (depending on your elevaltion above sea level) chart indicate you in the should use a 4" exhaust piping. I would download a manual for your stove and see what the recommendations are for your piping.

lbteixe said:
The ash is black. I'm coming up on just over 1 ton burned. I'm burning Dragon Mountain. Piping is vertical about 6 feet 90's horizontal through the sill about 2 feet and 90's vertical outdoors about 3 feet to a 90 and end cap. I've got a lot to learn so give to me.

Is it three inch or four inch diameter vent? Also I have learned that to much air will also cause the vent to log up with ash.

You can get a lot of volume of ash and soot from a very good pellet as it tends to be light and fluffy.

You need to loose a good part of that venting system or it will have to be resized.

Can you tell us why you have the additional length of vertical outside of the house?

Right off I count an EVL of 20 just in (four) 90 degree bends as there has to be a T or a 90 before the first 6 feet of vertical. Then add 2 for the horizontal and 4.5 for the (nine feet) of vertical. Making it 26.5 total.

I have 3" simpson duravent. The reason that I went vertical outside is because if I went straight out the sill plate my cap would only be about 1 1/2 feet above the grade. I thought that would be a no no. I'm in the northeast and I was concerned about snow pile up. If it is alright to be that low I don't mind cleaning out the area of snow just to get me by this winter. I didn't mention that the pellet stove is in the basement. That might better explain the vertical, horizontal then vertical runs.

Thanks for all your responses. Any ideas would certainly help.

I'm very happy with the dragon mountain pellets. I've found that they burn hotter and less clinkers than the New England that I previously burned.

I don't have a manual for your stove I am going to go by my stoves manual. Your vent termination which points down, must be at least 12" from an inside corner formed by an abutting combustible wall and 12" from an outside corner 24 " from any other structure, fence, or protruding parts of the structure.

The only height requirement is 24" above any combustible material.

Of course I'm not counting clearances to other vents, windows, doors, eves, roofs, etc...

So as long as the stuff directly under it and for a couple of feet on either side is non combustible you are good to go from that stand point. I also have a power vented furnace so I went out and measured things, its vent base is exactly 12" above the ground.

If you wish to keep the height for natural draft purposes your piping should be at least 4".

SmokeyTheBear said:
I don't have a manual for your stove I am going to go by my stoves manual. Your vent termination which points down, must be at least 12" from an inside corner formed by an abutting combustible wall and 12" from an outside corner 24 " from any other structure, fence, or protruding parts of the structure.

The only height requirement is 24" above any combustible material.

Of course I'm not counting clearances to other vents, windows, doors, eves, roofs, etc...

So as long as the stuff directly under it and for a couple of feet on either side is non combustible you are good to go from that stand point. I also have a power vented furnace so I went out and measured things, its vent base is exactly 12" above the ground.

I'll take a look at my manual. I too have a power vented high efficiency furnace and my vent exhaust and intake is just above 1 foot from grade. I think the only clearance limitations are due to windows etc. and height due to snow build up or obstructions. When your power vented I really don't think that you have to worry as much about natural drafting like a fireplace. I could be wrong. I think that if I remove my outdoor vertical and just shoot straight out and use my cap I might be alright. I'm completely clear of any combustibles or windows left, right, up and down.

Your pellet stove is a forced draft system exactly like your furnace setup. The six feet of vertical you have inside should be enough if the power goes out to clear the exhaust from your stove as it also goes out.

If the stove runs all the time it isn't likely that you'll have to worry about most snow storms as the heat will melt the snow as it drops.

I'm glad you mentioned power outages, never gave that a thought as for the exhausting. As far as the snow build-up I also figured the same thing, the heats just going to melt it. I rarely have to clear my furnace intake and exhaust, its always melted by the time I get to it. I'll change the outside for this season, fingers crossed, hope for the best and address it in the summer.

Thanks so much for all you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.