Need new stove similar to Jotul Black Bear F118 - Does anything come close?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LeoOshkosh

Feb 21, 2021
Tennessee
I have a 2014 Jotul Black Bear F118 in my cabin. I'd like to purchase something similar for my garage (that could be used to replace the Black Bear if I ever have trouble finding parts). I like the tradition box stove like the Black Bear.

Dang, I wish I would have purchased 2 black bears back in 2014. I'm kicking myself.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something that will heat 1600 sq ft.?

Thanks

Your best bet may be to keep an eye out for the used market. Call around to Jotul dealers and ask if any are coming in on a trade.

Reactions: theora55
Or get an Oslo. It's a side-loading, box stove with a great big window.

Up here in the north I run my Oslo when temps are going below 32. 1800 sq ft well insulated, It run's fine with a small load, a bed of coals and 1 split, stove top temp 200 -350. And when down to 0 it has no problem doing the job.