Need some feedback on inserts please (Nap, Hampton, PE)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
So.... I've done a bunch of looking, measuring etc and I think I've talked myself out of trying to install a stove recessed into our fireplace opening - it's a little too small to really work well. This will be to heat the main floor of our 1800 sqft bungalow.

So, now I've been looking at various inserts and seem to have it narrowed down to these ones:

Napoleon 1402 with the black cast surround
Hampton HI300
PE "medium" Insert

Have some questions for anyone who has either of these:

1) How does the Napoleon cast iron surround look - quality, fit, finish etc - I haven't been able to see the cast surround in person anywhere near me. I've seen the basic black insert and surround and the surround just seemed really cheap looking. I'm familiar with the firebox as it's basically the same as the 1450 in our basement.

2) How does the Hampton look and perform - again, I can't see one in person anywhere near me, and I normally like to touch before I buy and none of the dealers have one in their showroom. Any quirks or dislikes in how it operates? the box is listed as 2.3 cuft - is it big enough to load 18" splits N/S? How high is it from bottom of the firebox to the door lip?

3) For the PE medium - does it put out lots of heat? I like the secondary burn system on them - my neighbor has a Vista and likes it, tho it is way too small to heat more than his living room really.

Thanks in advance.

This is my first year heating my 1450 sq. ft. ranch 24/7 with a PE super (medium) insert. I have not used any back up heat yet this year although, some rooms are a little cool probably because I do not have a open floor plan (typical 1950s ranch) and need more attic insulation. An insert does not put out as much heat as a free standing stove (even with a block -off plate). A free standing stove has more exposed area for the heat to escape to the room. If you can fit a larger insert, I would upgrade to a Summit. The PE is easy to operate and has good strong secondary burns but the stove temps do get hotter than I like if I load it with all oak so I mix softwoods with each load it's just harder to get that heat out of your fireplace opening. My only complaint is that the blowers are a little noisy but I am used to no blower on my free standing stove.

All good inserts. Give them good fuel and draft and they will heat.

At the heart of the HI300 lies a Regency I2400. The Hampton is a premium insert due to the surround. Maybe better to compare that one to the Jotul C450? And yes, the PE can crank out the heat with the best of them.

Hmmm, interesting - so - if I want to go larger I'm looking at perhaps the Regency I 3100 and not sure what else, the Jotul 550 won't fit, nor would the PE summit - both too wide for my opening. The Jotul 450 looks like a "medium" insert - they don't list the firebox size - grrr and they are very expensive at the dealers in my area.

Any other suggestions on a large insert?

The C450 has a ~2 cu ft firebox.

For other options, we'll need the full fireplace dimensions.

Edit: I got the front dimensions from the other thread (The opening is approx 32WX28HX24D), so just need the back dimensions. From that it looks like the 3 cu ft Jotul C550 Rockland would fit.

The dimensions are: 32W X 26 75H X 25D. It's 24D at 20" up the back wall and 22 D at 27" up the back wall. The width at the back is 30". I think I had a typo in the height in the other post.

The Jotul 550 specs say it needs a 33" opening, so it's out unfortunately. So is the PE Summit. Too bad Napoleon doesn't make an insert version of the 1900...

KB007 said:
The dimensions are: 32W X 26 75H X 25D. It's 24D at 20" up the back wall and 22 D at 27" up the back wall. The width at the back is 30". I think I had a typo in the height in the other post.

The Jotul 550 specs say it needs a 33" opening, so it's out unfortunately. So is the PE Summit. Too bad Napoleon doesn't make an insert version of the 1900...

If you check the fine print, the extra width for the Rockland is for the power cord routing. You might be able to chip out a 1/2 brick for this. Speak to your dealer if interested about options here.

Maybe also take a look at the Quadrafire 4100i? Or the big Lopi Freedom?

Attachments

• Rockland dimensions.jpg
    Rockland dimensions.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 436
  • Rockland dimensions2.jpg
    Rockland dimensions2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 353
Status
Not open for further replies.