need some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
spadafore said:
...I'm not saying he's right and whoever is wrong, just saying it's funny all of the different opinions...

Nobody here's trying to sell you anything. Rick

Never suggested you were. Thanks for the advice.

Well, as to facts about the stove you bought I burned in one from 1977 to 1984. And would never do it again. I had one installed in the first new house I had built. The stoves are virtually uncontrollable except by how much or little wood you put in them. With the doors closed on them the doors and flue collar turning a nice cherry red is more the rule than the exception. The stove burned so hot that when I was taking some things out of the attic to move from the house I crawled over and looked at the chimney pipe and was more than a little shocked to discover that even though the pipe had one foot clearance on all side to the rafters two of them were charred from the intense heat of the pipe. And that was double wall pipe. When we moved into the new house I researched for a new stove and was amazed at the increased safety and efficiency of the mid-80s stove designs over the Franklin design which was last improved in 1790. When I bought our new stove year before last I found even more increased efficiency and safety incorporated in the design of stove sold today.

In the new house in my basement shop I burned a barrel stove using the Vogelzang kit for a while in the eary 80s. On a concrete floor with concrete walls. They can be an adventure too and before long it went to the landfill. But it was infinitely more controllable and safer than the Franklin was.

On the subject of Chinese castings. They have come a long way in the last ten years or so in the quality of their castings. The lack of quality of their previous castings for everything from tools to tractor parts is legendary enough that I won't even bother to expound on it here.

It is confusing. Did you read Craig's intro about new stove buying?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/13750_2/

You'll get lots of opinions on any public forum. Every one thinks the best stove is the one they own. (Well, almost everyone.) Take it with a grain of salt. Time is running out for new stove choices, inventory is diminishing rapidly for some companies. You may have to take what you can get if you want to buy a stove soon.

For inexpensive stoves, stick to a short list. Napoleon is a fine stove. It's a little prettier than the Englander or Drolet, but not functionally much better. It's hard to beat Englander or Drolet for value. For a bit more upscale stove the Pacific Energy Super 27 is a good stove, but as noted, supplies are dwindling.

PS: Is this an attached or detached garage. Are there any vehicles in this garage? Agree or not with code, there are serious safety issues here.

Thak you BrotherBart for the info. A very big help. BeGreen, about the garage info. I called my current home owners insurance company and explained to them I have a 15x25' room connected to the back of my garage that is attached to the house. I asked if I could have someone proffesional install a wood burning stove. She said no, as long as the garage is connected to the house. I called another insurance company and told them the same info. The gentleman said it can't be in the garage due to chemicals or gas and things of that nature. He asked how the room was connected to the garage. I told him there is access to the room thru an entry door at the back of my garage. The room is on a concrete slab with 4' block walls and 2x4 walls framed ontop the brick with the ceiling being 2x6" s. I told him the room would be used for a rec. room or something of that nature. He came to the conclusion that it would be no different than putting a stove inside my house because it would be a similer distance away from the garage. I told him I would feel safer putting it out in the backroom and away from carpet. He said it sounds like it should work. He is going to come out and take a look to be sure. Sounds like I might be changing insurance companys Only if his rates come close to wht I pay now. Time will tell. Today I bought a stove thermometer and am going to see tonight exactly how much or how little oak it will take to get the stove to three hundred degrees after it reaches that, I will shut the damper and close the vents on the doors to see if the temp decreases and by how much. Curiosity kills the cat again. This of course while it sits outside.

Put as much pipe in the top of it while it is outside as you can. A couple of pipe sections won't give you anything near a representative draft as it would occur with the stove installed with a chimney. In fact it probably won't be easy to get the stove up to three or four hundred outside with a short pipe.

OK I can do that. Pyro how many feet was the peak of your house away from your stove?

spadafore said:
OK I can do that. Pyro how many feet was the peak of your house away from your stove?

Not sure I understand the question. If you mean how far was the top of the chimney from the roof peak, the answer is quite a ways. It was a hip roof and the chimney was just two or three feet inside the eve of the roof on one end of the house.

polaris said:
I sorta hate to admit it here in front of god, wood burning elitists and everybody else, but I have heated my hunting cabin for the last 6+ years with the cheapest Vogelzang boxwood stove...

I'm so glad that you mentioned this!

Status
Not open for further replies.