Need to get rid of old stove, sell, scrap, give away ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Just Installed a Lopi Republic and took out the Smoke Dragon ,and like said ,Need to get rid of old stove, should I sell it , sell the steel for scrap, or give it away ?
I don't want it for pole barn ,I would rather find a used EPA for there also.
This stove is like 25 30 years old has a blower that works good

IMG_20121109_051701.jpg

Someone may want it for a cabin or shop. Doesn't hurt to try and sell it.

Don't think I've mentioned it before but I've always enjoyed the pics you have shared of that stove as my maternal grandparents had the same one that I used to watch / load when I was a kid.

Or, you could take it out back and use it as the base for a smoker like other carnivores I know have done ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Don't think I've mentioned it before but I've always enjoyed the pics you have shared of that stove as my maternal grandparents had the same one that I used to watch / load when I was a kid.
I didn't know that ,brings back some memories hunh :) I am kind of fond of it, been with me for 20 year,s used part time till last year .
I am also fond of my Lopi now ::-)

I guess I could put it up for sale, If it went quick ,that would be ok , I have no place to store it ,If I put it up for free It will be gone quick, and quick to sell for scrap
Not worth more than $100 $150 I don't think

I was just posting about selling some used stuff too. Now if I had that stove, since it's so unique looking (to me anyway) and appears to be a pretty good size, I would plant it on a pad down at my shoreline with a couple chairs / benches facing the water, and use it as the outside fire. Sunset, moon rising, water, and fire view all at once.

Now if I had that stove, since it's so unique looking (to me anyway) and appears to be a pretty good size, I would plant it on a pad down at my shoreline with a couple chairs / benches facing the water, and use it as the outside fire. Sunset, moon rising, water, and fire view all at once.
It is good size 3' L X 2' D X 28" H, 8 cu ft fire box
That's a cool idea, if U put a new coat of paint on it might last a while outside, if I had a shoreline in the back I would do It.
If anyone on the forum ,in Mi wanted it I would give it to them

Posted It on CL $175 OBO , I will take less, you all think that's to high ???

that is huge - would be a perfect one-of-a-kind shoreline stove- if I wasn't a few hundred miles from you I'd be thinking about it ;lol

the idea was courtesy of others here like Bigfoot (in my thread below) and some friends who did this with a big old smoke dragon at their place on the water.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-would-you-ask-for-this.112827/

open fire pits rock. wish I could help you out with the stove...

open fire pits rock. wish I could help you out with the stove...
Oh well, if it doesn't sell quick, I will just drop the price till it does or sell it to scrap yard

I imagine you are going to use a LOT less wood in your Lopi, and be a very happy man.
No doubt about it , HAPPY JACK, already , just firing it up one time ,stove top temp, flue temp, much less heat going out, compared to old, I can tell , plus I have statistics and Hearth .com :)
Getting 3 years ahead will be much easier ==c

No doubt about it , HAPPY JACK, already , just firing it up one time ,stove top temp, flue temp, much less heat going out, compared to old, I can tell , plus I have statistics and Hearth .com :)
Getting 3 years ahead will be much easier ==c

Getting 2-3 years ahead is a one time deal. After that, it's just maintenance any wood burner would have to do anyway.

With my fisher, getting 3 years ahead would mean about 18 cord. With the modern stove, it's about 12 cord. That's a poo-ton less work in my book (and a higher average temp in the house to boot!)

pen

With the heat pump taking the load off of shoulder season are you below 6 cord now?

Getting 2-3 years ahead is a one time deal.
I was trying to get 3 ahead with the old one, With the new stove , I am very very close :) :)
Before Hearth.com , I learned about dry wood and gave up for a while but ,from Hearth.com ,in a year, I have learned more than I could have ever imagined , from , stoves to every little tid bit, felling, bucking, loading , processing, tools ,saws, you name it, HOW ? reading searching listening .
Ok , I could add more but maybe another thread :)

Reactions: pen
With the heat pump taking the load off of shoulder season are you below 6 cord now?

I haven't gone through 6 cord since the fisher was here. 3 years with the englander was 4 cord, 3 cord, then 3.5 cord.

I didn't use the heat pump as much as I should have last winter as my desktop was in the basement and the heat pump doesn't help down there. With a new laptop this summer, I'm betting the heat pump will be allowed to do a bit more and I won't care about the basement (where the stove is) as much. But....... I might get the itch to burn and take the lap unit down there with me :)

You, mods helped me a lot getting a new ,Used stove , Thank You :)

Reactions: firecracker_77
Well ,I got a hit on the CL add.
I have a lady coming Sunday to look at the old girl , funny thing is ,they have one in their house, exactly the same stove, and they want another one.
She said mine looks a little less used than theirs , so they would probably put mine in the house and theirs in the garage

Sell it if you can. We just scrapped our old Earth Stove BV400C because it had cracked inside in several spots and it was time to say goodbye. #1 steel at about 360 lbs, plus 20 lbs of brass from the trim pieces. Got $70 for it which is better than bringing it to the transfer station and paying THEM to take it, but if a stove is usable and safe, I would sell it. You'll get more $ for it as a stove.

I've been trying (off and on) to sell a slighty rusty large cast iron Dutchwest for a few years -- it was left (=abandoned) in my barn by a casual aquaintence some years back. Thought I might get $100, but no takers, so I was about to list it for free. Decided instead to put it in the backyard last week... the corn roasted on top, in the husk, came out GREAT. I expect it should provide that service for a decade or three... and it looks surprisingly at home under the walnut tree.

SOLD $175 ,she went to a good home :), the people that bought it now have twin stoves.

Reactions: pen
:) Time to get an expensive beer or two and celabrate

Reactions: HDRock
Status
Not open for further replies.