New chimney crown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
I am going to be ordering a new stainless chimney crown from Rockford Chimney Supply. I don't have a piece of chimney pipe available to measure, what size hole do I specify for them build into it? I have 6" Excel SS insulated pipe. Thanks.

Image1196752136406375271.jpg

If that's the same stuff you have, maybe 8.125" if it is smooth and uniform in shape on the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly on my cap I had it cut to the exact size of my pipe, then use a hammer and went around it slowly tapping and rasing the inside edge up so I have a 3/8" lip the whole way around. That way if the cap sags a little in the middle I wont have any issues with water.

Do they make a silicone boot or something for that?

Only thing I've ever seen was the stainless storm collar. Problem I have now is that the current cap was built for an older builders special fireplace that was designed to burn on Christmas morning and maybe Thanksgiving, not to actually heat anything. So the hole is much larger than it has to be, leaving me with a crescent shaped hole where the storm collar won't cover, and it's rusting badly because there are no raised seams.

I think I'll contact Rockford Chimney supply on Monday and talk to them directly. Daughters boyfriend, who is a builder is going to pull some measurements tomorrow. Thank you everyone for the advice!

The OD is 8" but there is a little bead below the top edge which makes the OD at that point 8 1/4".
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 1.36.50 PM.png

Reactions: jetsam
I have the storm collar and used good sealent on it plus some aluminum tape over it to protect the seal. I just wanted to make sure there was no chance of water leaking from under the storm collar.

I got a stainless crown cover from Rockford and could not be happier. I used a storm collar mounted above the pipe clamp.

Attachments

• Chimney2018__7.jpg
    Chimney2018__7.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 221
I got a stainless crown cover from Rockford and could not be happier. I used a storm collar mounted above the pipe clamp.

Thanks fire_man, I think stainless and the factory drip edge are the way to go. Along with the 3" side curtains.

My alternative was to bust out the leaking 6" thick rebar reinforced concrete crown and repour it on top of a 6' x 3' chimney. The stainless with the drip edge is bullet proof and MUCH easier.

My alternative was to bust out the leaking 6" thick rebar reinforced concrete crown and repour it on top of a 6' x 3' chimney. The stainless with the drip edge is bullet proof and MUCH easier.

True much easier, plus my chimney chase is OSB and vinyl siding, probably would probably never support the weight of concrete. To ad to that my roof is 21 years old and will need replacing in the next couple of years $$$$, once it's on, my plan is to rarely if ever walk on it again. That crown on your chimney looks great BTW.

That crown on your chimney looks great BTW.

Thanks Sodbuster. It was actually alot of fun to install once I convinced myself not to smash out the old concrete crown.

We had terrible water problems and it was not obvious exactly where the old crown was leaking but the stainless steel cover cured it. Rockford was a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks Sodbuster. It was actually alot of fun to install once I convinced myself not to smash out the old concrete crown.

We had terrible water problems and it was not obvious exactly where the old crown was leaking but the stainless steel cover cured it. Rockford was a pleasure to deal with.

You're welcome, what was the turnaround time for you from ordering to delivery? I'm waiting for my daughters boyfriend to pull some measurements for me and then will get it ordered. I'm recovering from a sprained wrist, and getting on the roof would be unsafe for me. He's a builder, so it's nothing for him.

You're welcome, what was the turnaround time for you from ordering to delivery? I'm waiting for my daughters boyfriend to pull some measurements for me and then will get it ordered. I'm recovering from a sprained wrist, and getting on the roof would be unsafe for me. He's a builder, so it's nothing for him.
The turn around time was pretty quick - I want to say around 7-10 days from order to delivery. Definitely measure twice or three times to be sure your numbers are correct. I made mine 1/2" oversize all the way around just in case but mine was hard to measure since the crown sloped at so many weird angles. Must have been a drunk mason poured my crown!

The turn around time was pretty quick - I want to say around 7-10 days from order to delivery. Definitely measure twice or three times to be sure your numbers are correct. I made mine 1/2" oversize all the way around just in case but mine was hard to measure since the crown sloped at so many weird angles. Must have been a drunk mason poured my crown!

Yes, that would be an expensive mistake. Looks like you used Tapcons, did you draw them in tight or just snug them up?

I did use tapcons. Some of them stripped out when I tightened too much and I had to drill deeper and use longer tapcons in those spots. I learned fast and made sure to "snug" rather than over tighten.

I don't think you gain much by over tightening - it just has to hold the cover from lifting up.

I did use tapcons. Some of them stripped out when I tightened too much and I had to drill deeper and use longer tapcons in those spots. I learned fast and made sure to "snug" rather than over tighten.

I don't think you gain much by over tightening - it just has to hold the cover from lifting up.

That's what I was thinking too, just snug them up 6-8 stainless screws (wooden chase) into wood, and that babies going nowhere.

Sorry for the bother but when you say 1/2" all the way around, you are saying 1/2" total. In other word, if your chimney measured 30" x 40", you ordered 30-1/2" x 40-1/2". Correct? Mine should be fairly true, all depends on the carpenter.

Sorry for the bother but when you say 1/2" all the way around, you are saying 1/2" total. In other word, if your chimney measured 30" x 40", you ordered 30-1/2" x 40-1/2". Correct? Mine should be fairly true, all depends on the carpenter.
No bother at all. If my chimney measured 30"X40" I would have ordered 31"X41" to get 1/2 inch overhang on all sides. I had a crazy non-uniform chimney that was practically impossible to measure easily and I wanted lots of room for error.

It worked out great - I measured like 10 times and it came perfect.In your case it sounds like less chance for error.

No bother at all. If my chimney measured 30"X40" I would have ordered 31"X41" to get 1/2 inch overhang on all sides. I had a crazy non-uniform chimney that was practically impossible to measure easily and I wanted lots of room for error.

It worked out great - I measured like 10 times and it came perfect.In your case it sounds like less chance for error.

Thank you!