new clydesdale insert making noise.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdhep

Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2010
maryland
Hi all,

I am a new Insert owner – Clydesdale Model. I got it installed on Friday 3/25/11.
Following the manual , I started with small fires till last night I the hot fire for the first time with the temp up to 400F. I start heard a strange noise coming from the insert . It is a ticking noise every 5 - 10 second. Noise was gone when the temp was going down. I’m not sure where this noise came from inside or out side. It sounds like it came from the area where the liner and the insert got connected.

Please advise if this noise is supposed to be normal for the new product. Your response will be very appreciated.

Probably the metal expanding.

Shawn

Sounds like the normal ticking of the cast expanding with the heat, but I'm not going to tell you what it is for sure without being there. You can pull off the surround and take a look at the connection between the stove and liner to make sure it is still sealed tight if you think something might be wrong there.

if it dont ting, than be nervous! enjoy your new insert!

How are you liking the insert? its still one of my favorites. Go for the overnight burn yet?

Door43 said:
Hi all,

I am a new Insert owner – Clydesdale Model. I got it installed on Friday 3/25/11.
Following the manual , I started with small fires till last night I the hot fire for the first time with the temp up to 400F. I start heard a strange noise coming from the insert . It is a ticking noise every 5 - 10 second. Noise was gone when the temp was going down. I’m not sure where this noise came from inside or out side. It sounds like it came from the area where the liner and the insert got connected.

Please advise if this noise is supposed to be normal for the new product. Your response will be very appreciated.

As long as the ticking doesn't continue until there's a big explosion from the dynamite being set off you should be OK. ;)

As others have mentioned the ticking is the expansion of the metal . . . and a good sign . . . my wife calls the ticking "the sound of heat" as it means the cast iron woodstove is heating up.

Door43 said:
Thanks all, I'm not sure how to do the over night burn yet. I'll try it this weekend.

You should find the overnight burn is like most every other burn . . . just some folks load the firebox up a bit more or use some of the larger splits or rounds . . . otherwise the same technique should be followed in most cases. Good luck.

Yeah totally normal noise for cast iron as everyone has pointed out. As for the overnight burn with the Clydesdale the one piece of advice I have for you is to turn the blower as low as it goes. This will allow the stove to retain more heat through the night and leave you with more coals in the morning. Last night I only loaded the stove with 3 medium splits at 11pm, turn the blower as low as it goes and this morning at 7am still had enough coals to get the fire started again.

Also in general I've found that the blower never really needs to be on full blast. I feel this just removes a lot of heat from the stove, granted it puts it into your living room, but if you want longer burns keep the blower on medium or less.

Happy burning! Enjoy the new Clydesdale. They're a great stove that should last you many many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.