New Enviro M55 FS stove owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mine is wearing, but not to the point its thin. Hey I see you're installing a Dutchwest. Great choice. Back in WV we had an older Dutchwest X-Large (CAT equipped) and we burned 4-5 cords of hardwood a year. That was a great, great stove.

Thanks, but the DW has been sadly sitting in the basement the past few years. This was going to be the year but then I had to do a bunch of work on the Jeep and master bathroom has to be redone. Hopefully I can get the install started this season at least. I want to see those slow, long burning flames.

So it was -5 last night, again the stove was steady set at '3'. That new fan works great- Have not tripped the overheat sensor at all. The old original blower would have caused the stove to trip in the middle of the night. Glad that is resolved..

Reactions: vinny11950
What temps do you get inside the house?

We get around 72 to 80 (mom likes it very warm, says her diabetes makes her feel cold) when its 40 outside at setting 1 or 2, depending on wind, time of day. Back of the house bedrooms go to 66-68. When it goes to the 20s, 3 setting keeps it around 70 inside.

Reactions: Threerun
What temps do you get inside the house?

We get around 72 to 80 (mom likes it very warm, says her diabetes makes her feel cold) when its 40 outside at setting 1 or 2, depending on wind, time of day. Back of the house bedrooms go to 66-68. When it goes to the 20s, 3 setting keeps it around 70 inside.

We have about 2,800 sq. ft, more or less with the M55 in the basement (finished). Evenly split finished upper and lower… Right now it is -2 out and the temp down there is 77deg and upstairs about 68deg. Heat setting was on '2', and I just kicked it to '3' for the night. It should maintain the upper floors at 65-68 and the lower floor at 77-82. The two bedrooms down stairs are warm (down a hall) and about 72deg all night.

We have about 2,800 sq. ft, more or less with the M55 in the basement (finished). Evenly split finished upper and lower… Right now it is -2 out and the temp down there is 77deg and upstairs about 68deg. Heat setting was on '2', and I just kicked it to '3' for the night. It should maintain the upper floors at 65-68 and the lower floor at 77-82. The two bedrooms down stairs are warm (down a hall) and about 72deg all night.

Those are great temps inside considering how cold it is.

1 ton through the stove and 1 good cleaning so far- no issues. It's been single digits at night, teens or low 20's during the day.. Going out to buy another ton..

-2 right now. Time to load her again..

Last edited:
M55 still going strong. Fired it up end of October. Been in the teens and below at night.

Hi, Threerun, good to hear from you again. Glad the stove is going strong. Mine too. I got some surface rust on the outside, lower pedestal footing, but very minor. The agitator is looking thin, and may need replacing next year. Everything else is good. I have a spare exhaust blower ready should I ever need it. Along with some fuses and a temp switch too.

Hi, Threerun, good to hear from you again. Glad the stove is going strong. Mine too. I got some surface rust on the outside, lower pedestal footing, but very minor. The agitator is looking thin, and may need replacing next year. Everything else is good. I have a spare exhaust blower ready should I ever need it. Along with some fuses and a temp switch too.

Hey Vinny! Yeah my agitator is getting a little worn as well, and it looks like I will need to replace that heat shield/diffuser once again. My local hearth stove dealer no longer carries Enviro (as a matter of fact he erroneously told me they were no longer in business or selling the M55- something along those lines). Yeah right. Looks like I'll have to go manufacturer direct for parts now..

Hey Vinny! Yeah my agitator is getting a little worn as well, and it looks like I will need to replace that heat shield/diffuser once again. My local hearth stove dealer no longer carries Enviro (as a matter of fact he erroneously told me they were no longer in business or selling the M55- something along those lines). Yeah right. Looks like I'll have to go manufacturer direct for parts now..
Mountainview will mail almost any part to you.https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/

The M55 is my favorite for sure. I'm not sure if this is allowed but we are an Enviro Dealer and if you can't find parts feel free to contact me. If this isn't allowed please delete this post.

Reactions: Mt Bob
JRemington- you know what you could do? Find out why enviro makes such thin steel plates for a heat shield!

I'm thinking of buying a new one, taking it to a fab shop and have them weld another piece to the exposed shield to see if that will eliminate the warping. It's pretty pronounced.

BaX5Bt1.jpg

I don't over fire this stove. It pretty much is set at 1 and 2, and air intake at 3. Pretty clean burn and consistent heat output.

Last edited:
That is strange because mine is still like new after 7 years of burning. No metal wear either. Mine was built in 2009, so maybe the changed the formula for that piece in later stoves?

I think I have read about that part warping just a few times on here. And that was early on. Doesn't happen often.

If they don’t send you a new one, when you go to the fab shop have one made out of 3/16” - 1/4” plate wont warp again.

Reactions: JRemington
So I called Sherwood Industries. They referred me to their area distributor, Associated Energy Systems 1-800-682-8722. AES refused to assist a consumer directly, they referred me back to the dealer. I explained the dealer rep's response (said Enviro was out of business- obviously pushing a LOPI product). AES said they are still a retailer of Enviro and recently had 15 units shipped to them.. Oh the games...

So I called the owner of the shop- they've been in business over 30 years. I've bought my stove and a crap pile of landscape block from them. He remembered my name when I called. I explained what his rep had told me, and he kinda admitted they are supposed to push to LOPI because "we think they are better units".

I kinda came unglued, told him I simply want an issue fixed, not a new unit. (It's crap like this that gives the industry a bad rap). I explained the issue and he said he will have his tech guy call back.

To all the dealers that may read this- Don't do what these clowns just did.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I went to my local dealer, talked to their elder statesman- he was on the phone with techs when I went in. Showed him the picture of the baffle, e-mailed it him and he sent it on to the tech, Right now they are 'baffled' (pun intended) on why that would happen. From what I could gather they want to do a pressure check, check the unit- a whole host of things.

I don't care- just find the problem so I can fix it, lol.

Reactions: vinny11950
I went to my local dealer, talked to their elder statesman- he was on the phone with techs when I went in. Showed him the picture of the baffle, e-mailed it him and he sent it on to the tech, Right now they are 'baffled' (pun intended) on why that would happen. From what I could gather they want to do a pressure check, check the unit- a whole host of things.

I don't care- just find the problem so I can fix it, lol.

At least they are looking into it. And yes, they do have a wacky distributor/dealer relationship that leaves the customer at the mercy of the dealer. And to be fair, the dealer is not making money from the service call. Hopefully they fix it.

Our Distributor said there hasn't been an issue. That doesn't mean their telling the truth though. We get 40 bucks for a warranty service. Usually covers the gas lol.

Our Distributor said there hasn't been an issue. That doesn't mean their telling the truth though. We get 40 bucks for a warranty service. Usually covers the gas lol.

That sucks. We're out here trying to figure out what's wrong and they won't help...

I'll run ours hot, max out the feed trim and see if I can warp it. I'll just have to open the windows. I don't mind putting them through a good testing lol. And when there is a problem I don't hesitate getting into it with our Distributor. At first he tried the blowing smoke game. If you let them they can come up with some real excuses trying to wear you out to where you just get sick of it and give up. Tell your Dealer to fix the issue or you'll dump the stove in his driveway. All he has to do is have them send you a new plate under warranty. It doesn't cost him anything.

Last edited:
That sucks. We're out here trying to figure out what's wrong and they won't help...
Don't know where you are,out here,and do not know your heating situation,but,for info,my BIL runs an old St Croix,burns out 2 fire pots a year.Well,is an poorly insulated cabin,and it runs 2/3 to high most of the time.Most pellet stoves recommend not doing this.Some(harmans) are self regulating,you cannot hurt them.Got my BIL an arc welder,he relines the pots,has spares,has been doing this for ten years.Most older(and newer cheaper) stoves are not made to run wide open for long periods,it burns out firepots,warps metal.Same thing happens with wood stoves.Basicly,the stove is too small for the job.

Reactions: JRemington
OK I been monitoring and reading here- Enviro did have trouble with the M55 FS baffle warping on a number of units, I've replaced a few myself under warranty and I didn't have any trouble getting replacements from Enviro or the distributor. They did make a re-inforced baffle that was meant to fix the problem. Looking on their website parts list, I believe 50-2041 was the old one, and 50-2148 is the new re-inforced baffle. Running the M55 on 2 or 3 continuously is certainly not running it hard, I think that is the preferred settings to use it on.... I also agree that the original baffle was made rather flimsy. This has certainly been a nice, quiet model so far, Enviro as a company is doing well, espec their pellet line. The wood side of the house are fantastic too, but not as popular here in NE as their pellet stoves are. Good luck with your venture.

OK I been monitoring and reading here- Enviro did have trouble with the M55 FS baffle warping on a number of units, I've replaced a few myself under warranty and I didn't have any trouble getting replacements from Enviro or the distributor. They did make a re-inforced baffle that was meant to fix the problem. Looking on their website parts list, I believe 50-2041 was the old one, and 50-2148 is the new re-inforced baffle. Running the M55 on 2 or 3 continuously is certainly not running it hard, I think that is the preferred settings to use it on.... I also agree that the original baffle was made rather flimsy. This has certainly been a nice, quiet model so far, Enviro as a company is doing well, espec their pellet line. The wood side of the house are fantastic too, but not as popular here in NE as their pellet stoves are. Good luck with your venture.

Yeah just got a message from the dealer- the new part# is 50-2148, also $150!!

He did indicate that a new part# usually indicates a 'newly designed' part, but he couldn't find out what changed. So I'll get this new one and compare it to the existing and go from there.

Meh- I guess forking out $150 after 5+ years continuous winter service ain't so bad.

We have a cold air inversion over our valley right now. The rest of the state is in the upper 40's and 50's, we're sitting at 19 right now, lol.